Morganton Development

jednc

I honestly think they would just be better off building at the current site, if anywhere.

Putting it up on Independence and North Green St is just moving it further up into the city, near Glen Alpine. So there's even more reason for people outside of Morganton(Places like Valdese, Connellys Springs, Icard, Hildebran, etc) to go to Hickory because it will be a longer commute otherwise. The way gas prices are lately doesn't help that any either.

Not to mention that the current site would allow them to better directly compete with Target if Target builds at the Drexel Heritage plant site. I have a feeling Walmart would win that battle.

Whether it's super or not wouldn't matter much since Hickory's is super, as is the new one in Conover.

I can see this one losing alot of potential business to those other two locations.

That's a good point about the location. I don't understand why they don't just expand at the current site either. However, I do know they've studied that idea extensively and decided against it. My mom worked at that location for 15 years. They've been talking about this move to a SuperCenter in some way, shape, or form for years, and the current location was the first plan I ever heard mentioned.

I guess all I can say is there must be a darn good reason they don't want to build there that I'm just not aware of. Next to I-40 seems like a prime location to me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on if Target is going to build here in Morganton? I past the old Drexel Heritage building today and everything looks the same, the rubber company that uses the building still has there trucks there so I guess that was just a rumor that the owner had to be out by the end of May.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on if Target is going to build here in Morganton? I past the old Drexel Heritage building today and everything looks the same, the rubber company that uses the building still has there trucks there so I guess that was just a rumor that the owner had to be out by the end of May.

Apparently the developer wanted land across Hogan St. as well and Drexel Heritage wouldn't sell. I guess the whole deal was contingent on this. I have no more details and didn't know even this at the time of my original post here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you Morgantonians see the Saturday edition of the Charlotte Observer? There was a very nice article about your downtown area. I used to travel between Rutherfordton and Lenoir & Wilkesboro as a kid to see the grandparents. I still remember passing through downtown. Back in those days it was pretty deserted. Last time I was there was 1977 it sounds like there have been lots of changes! Next time I'm in the area I will have to make a detour.

Article

Half the block at the corner of Sterling, Green, and McDowell which was a small used car lot, was bulldozed to ther ground a few weeks ago to make room for a new Carolina First Bank.

I was wondering what they were going to put there. It's a very noticable change with that block cleared.

What is the status of the development coming to the old Morganton Jr. High site? How about the site near the old Ingles on W. Union St?

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Morganton today and heard from three different people (one a current Wal-Mart employee) that Wal-Mart is considering moving their SuperCenter site to Valdese. I don't know what that would do the the current Wal-Mart, but losing that SuperCenter would be a blow to Morganton's economy. You talk about business being drained by Wal-Mart...just wait till it's sucking it to the east of the entire city!

It could be a blackmail threat aimed at Morganton - make us happy or we're heading east. Most (if not all) of the people that shop at the current store would probably drive to Valdese, especially if it is located near I-40. Wal-Mart wouldn't really lose out, but like you say, Morganton would.

Now that the election is over, we'll see how it all shakes out.

• 2 months later...

I read the renovation of the old Doblin building on Sterling Street will start in March of this year. They will be adding a another story to the building and turning it into the Foothills Allied Heath and Sciences Education Center, in other words a 4 year nursing school.

I read the renovation of the old Doblin building on Sterling Street will start in March of this year. They will be adding a another story to the building and turning it into the Foothills Allied Heath and Sciences Education Center, in other words a 4 year nursing school./quote]

Wow. Is the a definite thing or just a proposal? It sounds like a great idea. Morganton needs more educational opportunities like this. Hopefully this will be a draw for people in the expected age range who would attend something like this. There could be a nice ripple effect.

Today the Morganton News Herald reports that Zaxby's is coming to the corner of West Parker Road and South Sterling Street and is expected to break ground in February. It also said that Morganton is getting a Waffle House on N.C. 18 across from Believers Way and is being graded and construction should start soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Today the Morganton News Herald reports that Zaxby's is coming to the corner of West Parker Road and South Sterling Street and is expected to break ground in February. It also said that Morganton is getting a Waffle House on N.C. 18 across from Believers Way and is being graded and construction should start soon.

Any word when either of these opens? Last time I was by that Waffle House it had gone up surprisingly fast.

Any word on Wal-Mart looking at some of the old furniture plants as a possible site for their super center?

• 5 months later...

Well, both Waffle House and Zaxby's are open and seem to be doing pretty well from my limited exposure to them. I heard Ruby Tuesday's is not coming afterall (which is not a huge loss in my opinion).

They are grading for an expansion at Fiddler's Run Shopping Center. I wonder what all will be in there? Any news on that?

It's also been reported in the New Herald that a company is shopping the old Henrydon (sp?) site to Wal-Mart for a Super Center. I know Wal-Mart is moving ahead with it's renovation of the Burkemont Ave. store, so I wonder if they'd put a Super Center that close?

I also really like the new street signs in the Historic Districs they've created. This looks really nice. I'd like to see the city do more with its history.

• 1 month later...

The Little League Representatives have been in Morganton the past couple of days sizing up the city for their Southestern Headquarters. I believe Greenville, SC and Warner-Robbins, Ga are also in the running. Wonder what Morganton's chances for landing this are?

The Little League Representatives have been in Morganton the past couple of days sizing up the city for their Southestern Headquarters. I believe Greenville, SC and Warner-Robbins, Ga are also in the running. Wonder what Morganton's chances for landing this are?

I have been watching this unfold for the last few months, from what I'm hearing Morganton has a pretty good chance. I think there going to decide in November.

Also around Morganton - the renovation of the old Doblin building on Sterling Street is really taking off and alot of work on the catawba river baseball complex is under way - they moved the power line poles to the other side of sanford st. and are grading a lot of land, on 70 right after you pass summers rd. on the left heading into toward morganton is a new building going up, and I read in the paper some weeks ago that morganton is going to extend the greenway up green st. to connect the current greenway with downtown

• 2 months later...

Not that it's news at this point, but it looks like Morganton lost out on the Little League SE Headquarters. I guess I'm still hoping something falls through in Ga and we get it.

Jake's Hamburgers is going into the old Pool Room on S Sterling St. It will be good to have another restaurant downtown. That should bring in more people. Work is under way now to renovate the space. Part will also be a new retail spot for lease and I believe apartments will go on the second floor?

In what could only be deemed a complete rumor, I heard Hwy 18 Produce is closing and will make way for a Walgreens. This is on S Sterling at Parker Rd. I have no idea if this is true. I had also heard a while back that Walgreens was buying the old Ford place on S Sterling (downtown) and tearing it down to make way for a new location. Nothing seems to have happened there. I don't know if it was bogus, or if they changed their minds, or if they are going to build two.

Today's NewsHerald has an article about the plans for the old Henredon Site. A developer is wants to get their site plan submitted so decisions on rezoning can be made. They are targeting Wal-Mart and a SuperCenter for the site. They also mention electronics and book retailers that "people are currently driving to Hickory for". That sounds like Best Buy and Barnes and Noble to me. That seems a little ambitious for Morganton, but I'd love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Morganton Planning Committee has approved the plans to tear down Henredon Furniture Plant and build a Wal-Mart Supercenter. It goes to the City Council in August I believe. The developer says he plans on 40-50 businesses eventually being located in this complex. There is also space for a home improvement center type building, but Lowes is not part of the project and Home Depot has their expansion plans on hold according to the developer.

edit: to correct spelling of Henredon...

• 1 month later...

Archived