Morganton Development

jednc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I noticed a construction crew clearing land on Bethel Rd. right before you get to Stonebridge Dr. coming from I-40. I don't know if there building a few houses along the road or if there building a new housing develoment but from the looks of a map there is alot of land to build on.

Here is a link to a good map.

http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband/#q1=MORGAN...43343&mag=3

Yesterday I noticed a construction crew clearing land on Bethel Rd. right before you get to Stonebridge Dr. coming from I-40. I don't know if there building a few houses along the road or if there building a new housing develoment but from the looks of a map there is alot of land to build on.

Here is a link to a good map.

http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband/#q1=MORGAN...43343&mag=3

I'll have to check that out the next time I'm up that way.

My dad mentioned to me that he continues to hear rumors about Home Depot at the old Winn Dixie site on 181. Not sure why this still has legs...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree about luring retirees. Lenoir and some other parts of the Catawba Valley may very well look to retirees to help the economy and stimulate more growth. With cheap land and low taxes, and with the "if you build it,they will come" mentality Lenoir might find its gold mine. With popular retirement areas in NC such as Hendersonville areas or even Lake Norman where prices for land are skyrocketing, this seems to be an ideal place being away from a big city but close enough for a drive.

Apparently the deal to build a SuperCenter Wal-Mart across from Freedom High School and K-Mart is still moving forward. There are attorneys involved in securing land, etc.

There seems to be an interesting question being considered by Wal-Mart though...something new I had not heard before now. They are deciding whether to close the existing store when the new SuperCenter is built, or keep it open.

Now, to me this seems like an easy question...you close the old store. Morganton isn't big enough for two Wal-Marts. I have no idea how reliable this info is...it was passed along by a friend of my dad who owns land Wal-Mart would need to acquire in order to build this new store. Whether that puts him in a position to know this type of info or not, I'm not sure.

A few months ago the Morganton news paper said that Target might buy the old wal-mart building.

The more I think about it, Morganton is really starting to turn in to Hickory. If I went to a Super Walmart, Home Depot, Target, or Ruby Tuesdays I would have to go to Hickory, but in a few years I might be able to all that here in Morganton, Hopefully.

A few months ago the Morganton news paper said that Target might buy the old wal-mart building.

The more I think about it, Morganton is really starting to turn in to Hickory. If I went to a Super Walmart, Home Depot, Target, or Ruby Tuesdays I would have to go to Hickory, but in a few years I might be able to all that here in Morganton, Hopefully.

I've heard several times that Target is just waiting on Wal-Mart to make a decision. Now, I don't know what that means, or if it's even true. That could mean they are planning on buying the old Wal-Mart building...would make sense. It could also mean they are just waiting to pick their location based on where WM ends up.

Personally I think the old WM would make a great location for Home Depot. It's just across from Lowe's...and for some reason those two like to stick together.

As for Target, I heard years ago they were looking at the old Drexel Heritage plant on the Bypass at Hogan St. That seemed to go away, but my parents told me about a month ago that they talked to someone who worked at the facility (or some connection) and they said that plant was in fact slated to be sold and a shopping center would rise. It makes me wonder if this might be where Target would land. They wouldn't have too much competition on that side of town. That could spell the end for Roses though.

I'll check with my parents on the details of the Drexel Heritage plant and repost since I can't really remember what they said specifically at this point. All I remember was it was vague.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...I asked for some details about the old Drexel Heritage Shop on Hogan St. and few were available. My parents talked to the former owner (who apparently has been manufacturing rubber mulch at the site) and he said he sold it. He is to be out by the end of May and he says it's for Target. I guess stay tuned to see if this really happens.

Theres alot to report on in Morganton. For starters I read that South Sterling St is going to be widened out all the way up to and past the Holiday Inn and Sleep Inn, the paper said that concrete dividers might be installed, there going to rebuild the interstate bridge, line up the on and off ramp, and put in a traffic light in front of them. I also read that a national restaurant chain is going to build a restaurant on South Sterling, I'm not sure if the restaurant there talking about is the future Ruby Tuesday's or a new restaurant but that might be something to look for in the future. The Charlotte Observer reported that Morganton is going to bulid a 4 story 42 unit condo building next to the new Union Square town homes and that the city gave an ok to build a new 23 acre subdivision on Hopewell Rd. And on a last note I notice yesterday that there is alot of trees being cut down up behind Goody's off of exit 104, there might be something going on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Crescent Resources has filed a petition asking the land at the corner of Independence Boulevard and North Green Street be rezoned from general business to general business-conditional use in preparation for a 176,311-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter and six outparcels.

Dave Niekamp of Crescent Resources confirmed that the 48.68 acre tract is under contract for sale to Wal-Mart.

The sale is contingent on Wal-Mart obtaining all the appropriate approvals from local and state entities.

The Wal-Mart tract will have its main entrance directly across from Bost Road, while two secondary entrances will be on Independence Boulevard.

Six additional outparcels also are being developed, the maps show.

I think the architectural drawings are on display at City Hall for the new Wal-Mart. I wonder now that Wal-Mart seems to have made their choice, what news there might be forthcoming about Target? I also wonder what will happen to the old W.M. building once they vacate (assuming they don't use it as a second location). I still say this is where Home Depot should go if they decide to come to town.

VX Aerospace also announced today they will be moving their corp. headquarters to Morganton (a new 800 acre industrial park near the airport). They will be building two airplane model kits and some parts for their defense division. Eventually they will produce one of the kit models to full production in Morganton. Fox 18 said this new facility would create about 400 jobs. I've included a link below that contains most of this info I've posted.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/VX_Ae...a_195137-1.html

I agree, the current WM site would be good for Home Depot.

Talk about some straight up competition though..Lowes and Home Depot right across the street from each other. ;)

They used to seem to always cluster near each other. For some reason, that doesn't seem to be as common anymore (at least around here). It seems Lowe's builds more stores these days in this area than HD.

• 3 weeks later...

So, apparently there are a lot of people in Morganton who are opposing the new Wal-Mart. I'm not sure I understand the arguement. I've heard they are saying WM will drive local business out. But, Morganton has had a WM for years. I don't get how adding a grocery store is going to suddenly affect local businesses. Now, if I were Food Lion (at least the one across the street at K-Mart) I'd be a little nervous. I don't see how they qualify as the "little guy" or as local business.

At any rate, WM has requested a delay in the vote to give them time to respond to the challenges and to address as many concerns as they can. You know, you'd think they'd have those arguements pretty much memorized. I can't see anything new in the opposition's arguement here. Very strange.

I do hope this gets built because I think in the long run, this is good for Morganton and for the local economy. I think all the mom and pop businesses in town, have long ago figured out how to deal with WM and I think any further impact on them will be minimal. Just my $.02.

WalMart is running into opposition everywhere... and they are having to delay projects to appease local residents and planning boards all over the country. More and more people are starting to voice opposition as it seems there is already at least 1 WalMart in every municipality in the US. They will bring in 'Experts' to rebut citizens concerns and it will probably get built. Local business need to be proactive before they expand, being reactive is not an option.

I honestly think they would just be better off building at the current site, if anywhere.

Putting it up on Independence and North Green St is just moving it further up into the city, near Glen Alpine. So there's even more reason for people outside of Morganton(Places like Valdese, Connellys Springs, Icard, Hildebran, etc) to go to Hickory because it will be a longer commute otherwise. The way gas prices are lately doesn't help that any either.

Not to mention that the current site would allow them to better directly compete with Target if Target builds at the Drexel Heritage plant site. I have a feeling Walmart would win that battle.

Whether it's super or not wouldn't matter much since Hickory's is super, as is the new one in Conover.

I can see this one losing alot of potential business to those other two locations.

Archived