Morganton Development

jednc

• 1 year later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Wal-Mart Super Center has finally broken ground. There are rumors that the development will also include a relocated Burger King, Chick-fil-a, and a Golden Coral (returning to the market). I've also heard rumors that JC Penny will open a store here, but this is puzzling since they had a store at the Fiddler's Run Shopping Center and closed it a few years back. The developer's website also has a Petsmart and a TJ Maxx included in the shopping center. These two stores surprise me though and make me wonder if they are simply placeholders on the site plans. Perhaps this same layout has been used in other developments the developer has build and they haven't bothered to change the website? Anyone out there with any info?

• 11 months later...

According to the developer's website, Belk will be joining the line-up of stores at the new Wal-Mart development in Morganton. Staples will also be part of the mix. I highly doubt that either of these stores will have multiple Morganton locations which means the Fiddlers Run shopping center is losing two rather large tenants. Does anyone have any news (or guesses) as to what might be filling the vacated spaces there or the soon-to-be-empty current Wal-Mart space?

When I saw that Belk would be moving in addition to Staples, I thought about sending a sympathy card to the Fiddlers Run property owner :) . Seriously though, I'm not sure what to expect for those two shopping centers once the new center is up and running. Stores like Big Lots usually look at vacated spaces like these, but of course they're already in place at Fiddlers Run. Another store that seems to be OK with transitioning centers is Tractor Supply, but they're now in place in the old Winn-Dixie spot. Perhaps a store like Five Below would be interested in Fiddlers Run since that center seems to be trending toward outlet/bargain shopping.

• 6 months later...

This is really nothing more than information that was in the News Herald, but figured I would share here for those who wouldn't see it otherwise. Cracker Barrel is slated to build a new restaurant at exit 105. They are timing the building and opening with the conclusion of construction of the new Hwy 18/I-40 exit.

Abele's is moving north on S. Sterling St. It will move to the old Quincy's spot which most recently was a Mexican Restaurant. Does anyone know what will happen to the current Abele's building? I've heard it will be torn down.

Chick-fil-a projects returning to Morganton by the end of 2013, but no location has been decided.

• 2 months later...

Chick-fil-a is negotiating for land across from Western Piedmont. I guess it is the spot between Cookout and Allison's?

At Morganton Heights, one of the parcels that was marked as "future expansion" seems to be in play. The WRS website has it listed as Pending Sporting Goods Retailer (or something close to that). If the size of the store is to scale, it appears to be about 2/3 the size of Belk. That would make it a pretty large store. I'm wondering if this might be Dicks or Academy Sports. Academy doesn't seem likely, but they are pushing into NC now with two stores currently open in the Charlotte Metro. Anyone have any news on this?

Also, is Wal-Mart slated to open in July? Other than the foundation and pad, have they started construction yet? If not, I don't see this opening until August or September.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be a Dick's ... this is confirmed through employees at Dick's Sporting Goods in Hickory.  I will follow-up w/ more info on progress of construction @ Morganton Heights ...

I think I would have preferred an Academy Sports, but a Dicks will do just fine. I'm glad to see Morganton land this kind of store.

I've heard that when Abele's moves north on South Sterling Street that the land it currently occupies will be home to a new hotel. Not sure of the brand, but I believe it will be in the five-story range.

Archived