Downtown Mobile

pboo74

It's about time mobile's downtown is starting to take a change for the good with all of the renovations and redevelopment ,it is finally good to see that the mayor and citizens,developers reconize this :D

Edited by pboo74

• 2 weeks later...

I am really happy to see all of downtown Mobile's development and revitalization.

Mobile has some similarities with my hometown of Baton Rouge. Both cities are nearly the same size and BOTH have CBD's/Downtown's on the geographical edges of the city waterfronts. Not like the cities of Atlanta, Birmingham, Houston, Dallas, etc. where their CBD's are located in the geographical center. This is somewhat of a disadvantage for Mobile and BR. I am glad to see these cities recognize the importance of a vibrant urban core. The "Heart & Soul " of the city ! Their futures are looking brighter again ! GREAT to see !

I am really happy to see all of downtown Mobile's development and revitalization.

Mobile has some similarities with my hometown of Baton Rouge. Both cities are nearly the same size and BOTH have CBD's/Downtown's on the geographical edges of the city waterfronts. Not like the cities of Atlanta, Birmingham, Houston, Dallas, etc. where their CBD's are located in the geographical center. This is somewhat of a disadvantage for Mobile and BR. I am glad to see these cities recognize the importance of a vibrant urban core. The "Heart & Soul " of the city ! Their futures are looking brighter again ! GREAT to see !

Same here in Shreveport... waterfront CBD rather than geographical center CBD.

Anyway, Mobile is doing great things right now and I hope they keep it going over there. The RSA Tower is awesome.

I hit Dauphin St. this past weekend in Mobile and I must say the night life has never been this big. Dauphin St. is turning into a Beale St. like in Memphis. The atmosphere in downtown is really picking up.

The Mobile Register recently ran a special on downtown you can view it here.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Thanks, elb.

---

Mayor Sam Jones announced a crackdown on downtown building code violations, saying that property owners must get their buildings up to city standards. Jones said that the city will not slack off on code enforcement after this crackdown, and that code enforcement is important to encourage continued investment downtown.

I hope the city sticks with this tough code enforcement. Renovations are expensive enough without further deterioration of these old buildings.

Mobile Press-Register: Mayor Jones pledges code crackdown downtown

Edited by ExpatBaman

• 2 weeks later...

Dauphin Street will be reduced from four lanes to two between Broad and Houston streets in Midtown, and a middle turning lane will be added. The new lanes will be marked when Dauphin Street is repaved. These changes are supposed to reduce crashes and improve traffic flow in the area.

Mobile Register: City cutting number of lanes on stretch of Dauphin Street

• 2 weeks later...

so...if i wanted to live in downtown mobile, on the second floor of an old building with retail underneath...could i find a decent amount of that?

i am looking to relocate from auburn, and i love my living situation here now (second floor, old building, bar / restaurant underneath, half a block from campus). i hate the thought of moving anywhere where something similar is not available, and yet many cities that have all the wonderful old buildings just don't have developers with the will to renovate those second (third; fourth, etc.) floors into lofts. how's downtown mobile in this respect?

so...if i wanted to live in downtown mobile, on the second floor of an old building with retail underneath...could i find a decent amount of that?

i am looking to relocate from auburn, and i love my living situation here now (second floor, old building, bar / restaurant underneath, half a block from campus). i hate the thought of moving anywhere where something similar is not available, and yet many cities that have all the wonderful old buildings just don't have developers with the will to renovate those second (third; fourth, etc.) floors into lofts. how's downtown mobile in this respect?

From today's Press Register Real Estate column...

Info on several downtown properties changing hands or being rennovated. Sullivan-St. Clair Marketing Public Relations and local investors are going to spend $1.6 million to purchase and renovate of a building at 202 Government St., at Conception Street. The firm will move in by January The ground floor will be parking. The second and third floors will be offices.

A building at the corner of North Conception and St. Michael streets was purchased recently. The building had been used previously as a deli/yogurt shop. The buyer will renovate it for retail and office use on the first floor and put residences on the second.

And finally, the city is selling the City Hall North annex at 350 St Joseph.

http://www.al.com/business/press-register/....xml&coll=3

• 2 weeks later...
Mayor Sam Jones announced a crackdown on downtown building code violations, saying that property owners must get their buildings up to city standards. Jones said that the city will not slack off on code enforcement after this crackdown, and that code enforcement is important to encourage continued investment downtown.
Edited by ExpatBaman

Dauphin Street will be reduced from four lanes to two between Broad and Houston streets in Midtown, and a middle turning lane will be added. The new lanes will be marked when Dauphin Street is repaved. These changes are supposed to reduce crashes and improve traffic flow in the area.

Mobile Register: City cutting number of lanes on stretch of Dauphin Street