Asheville and Berkeley

voyager12

Both are beautiful cities that are popular largely because of the progressive and eclectic vibes that are inherent to their character. I think Asheville has a leg up in combating the negative affects of gentrification, its not adjacent to an even larger magnet like San Francisco that has only caused housing costs to quadruple in Berkeley. Asheville's have just doubled :P Also topography somewhat prevents overdevelopment in Asheville's city center. Berkeley has the advantage of Berkeley. A omnipresent school that helps to create dialogue to discuss local issues.Both cities have interesting street life :ph34r: Some people may disdain the characters lounging in Asheville's Pritchard Park. They better not visit Berkeley. Almost every street there has its share of eccentrics and makes Asheville look downright conservative :lol:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I agree that Asheville is not Berkeley. Which is a good thing. Both cities have their own funky vibes. As far as not being in the same league...culturally Berkeley fits right into the left coast mindset. Asheville is a bizarre bright blue anomaly surround by hot red. Which I would argue serves it better. Although from the national press coverage one would think that Asheville is more San Francisco than San Francisco :rolleyes: There is a real dialogue that although sometimes overheated, going on between progressives and conservatives in Asheville which is very healthy. Healthier than echo chambers such as Berkeley and most of California for that matter.

• 3 months later...

Archived