The Big Government Shutdown

SouthJersey7

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family is pissed because they cant go gamble down in AC after the 4th of July & purchase lotto tickets. I cant believe its all over a 6% sales tax (of course the budget too) therefore tehy shut down the casnios and lose millions of revenue. Now they will HAVE to raise the sales tax (and maybe other taxes, who knows) because of the money lost if this continues to go on!

I wanted Corzine to be the next governnor for the state but right now, he is pissing off a lot of people now! I am still optimistic at the end result of his tenure that it will bring positive results to paying off the debt, bring property tax relief, improve highway and public transportation, continue to revitilize innner cities STATEWIDE and protect open space and farmland. If this governor does not prove anything, nobody will then be confident or comfortable with any party trying to take over the state house because natives are getting sick and tired of the same ole crap. If only NJ's economy was bad because right now, its good, everyone would flee the state LEFT and RIGHT!

I'm pissed because I can't bill my hours to projects for State clients during the shutdown. I'm NOT a fan of increases in sales tax because it's such a regressive tax. Will the rate in urban enterprise zones increase too?

I'm surprised Corzine has picked the sales tax to be his big non-negotiable schtick when he so adamantly opposed a gasoline tax hike (which I supported) only months ago!

What's goin on?

This should fill you in on what's been going on the past week. Basically, the state's near broke and Governor Corzine is shutting down services and facilities left and right in order to make up the shortfall. But there's a lot of contention over just exactly what he's shutting down.

Archived