GR's 2007 Fireworks Rain Death Down Upon Pearl Street Viewers

Who else was there? It was an impressive show, visually and audibally (word?) speaking, but I didn't like having to fear for my wellbeing while viewing a fireworks show. Part of it was attributable to the wind, but I also think that the fireworks were being fired at enough of an angle to make them explode directly above that bridge.

Some kid in a stroller even got hit with a glowing piece of ash. The kid's parents shouldn't have brought him to a fireworks show anyway, knowing it could damage his hearing, but still...

edit: for those of you that weren't there, the fireworks were dangerously close to the viewers on the Pearl street bridge, and we were being covered with ash and large chunks of the cardboard casing from the fireworks. Also, the wind brought plume after plume of smoke right across the bridge, much to the dismay of my friend (and many others) who is allergic to smoke.

edit: i'm an idiot and don't know what year it is. and i can't figure out how to change the thread title. thanks grand riggidy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was over by the 6th street bridge, and I only wish I could see the fireworks!

Also, it seemed that alot of people were let down by the fireworks display as many left halfway through, and others were not paying attention to the show.

But hey, a few weeks ago we were not sure we would have them! Im just thankful they got something together.

i didn't sense any disappointment in the show around me, other than the fact that people were legitimately worried. and i think most of the people that left from the pearl street bridge did so because of the continuous ash raining down.

Every year I watch them from Bridgewater. Perfect view. I'm just glad I have friends who work there. This year I took the pics of the ones in Tempe AZ. Best show i've seen next to the freedom show in Detroit. I was amazed. I hope you all got some shots for me of good ole G-Rap

I think they were shot really low this year. We always watch them from the park by my house and we couldn't see them and what we could see was disappointing. Reeds Lake fire works going on behind us, on the other hand, was amazing. Looks like we're walking over there next year.

PBJ and I watched them from atop the McKay Tower. A great view and not as wet as last year. :D

Yeah it was awesome up there. I was on the pearl bridge 2 years ago and the wind had the same effect. Basically, when it's windy... smoke will blow the way of the wind... just saying :P

Last year I was up there and it rained. Second year in a row I forgot my camera though. I'll see if my awful camera phone turned out anything decent.

Taking pics of fireworks is kindof like listening to a broadcast of ballet on the radio, no?

My pics are up in the main forum (the old "would you pay for fireworks" thread).

And here I thought it was a thread about our current Governor.

Hahahah. Nope, a dire prediction about what could happen if...

(sentence deliberately left unfinished so as to not turn into politics...see photo in the main forum's Fireworks thread)

And here I thought it was a thread about our current Governor.

And if Dickie Jr. gets to be gov, the thread can read:

Hail and Brimstone Rain Death Down Upon the Unwashed, Unblessed,

and Unforgiven on Every Street in Town. :o

I could not for the life of me figure out what this picture was showing:

mckay3.jpg

until I realized it was the new Art Museum. The building in the upper left is Aldrich (Van Hoeck's Shoes). They are moving quickly with the Art Museum now.

Love the sunset shot Mike!

BTW: This thread title is a bit alarmist, don't you think?

Did it seem to anyone else like a few of the fireworks exploded earlier than they were intended, as well? The whole display was a little low, but 4 or 5 of the blasts in particular exploded less than a second after launch and were very low. The display was impressive though if you were watching it from the river, particularly the finale.

Archived