New Downtown Residents

ctman987

This morning's Courant has an article about people who are moving downtown. It is an uplifting and positive article about actual people who are moving downtown. One of them is a husband and wife who are selling their West Hartford (suburban) home to move to a condo at the Metropolitan. They both work in the city (one of the key things in my opinion) and have faith in the city. There is also talk of the young professionals who are moving to the city who also walk or bike to work.

This article should brighten everyone's day up!!!

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-metro...headlines-local

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good article. The residential is really starting to come alive. Once this first phase proves successful, the next wave will be what we have really been waiting for with even more residential and the filling of the commercial space.

This morning's Courant has an article about people who are moving downtown. It is an uplifting and positive article about actual people who are moving downtown. One of them is a husband and wife who are selling their West Hartford (suburban) home to move to a condo at the Metropolitan. They both work in the city (one of the key things in my opinion) and have faith in the city. There is also talk of the young professionals who are moving to the city who also walk or bike to work.

This article should brighten everyone's day up!!!

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-metro...headlines-local

I was interested in buying one of those over a year ago when starting prices were like 185,000 for a one bedroom, they are now 229,000. Shows you how much intrest there is in them. With the BoA building, Sage Allen, Old YMCA and I believe at least 2 others condo conversions there is definitely going to be more people on the street.

I was interested in buying one of those over a year ago when starting prices were like 185,000 for a one bedroom, they are now 229,000. Shows you how much intrest there is in them. With the BoA building, Sage Allen, Old YMCA and I believe at least 2 others condo conversions there is definitely going to be more people on the street.

101 Pearl Street should be especially interesting. It's supposed to be made into a "green" building.

In addition to all those projects 55 on the Park opened a few years ago bringing new apartments downtown and Trumbull on the Park opened not long ago.

One intresting thing to note is that the couple who bought a condo at the Metropolitan both work in the city and that is crucial. We must keep jobs downtown and attract more jobs down there so people will be able to walk to work.

On the matter of "pedestrian-friendly environment". Is there any plan for Asylum Street between Main and Trumbull? That block is always filthy. It is one of the busiest streets in downtown, and one of the dirtiest.

As a matter of fact there is. About a year ago the city released plans on widening the sidewalks, installing decorative lighting, and if I remember correctly, making it into a two way street. I also seem to remember that the plans included on street parking as well. I'm surprised this is taking so long to start.

As a matter of fact there is. About a year ago the city released plans on widening the sidewalks, installing decorative lighting, and if I remember correctly, making it into a two way street. I also seem to remember that the plans included on street parking as well. I'm surprised this is taking so long to start.

I saw them measuring on the street the other day, although not sure if that was for the new restaurant Feng that looks to be undergoing some facade improvements...

Do you guys think that Hartford's population will increase significantly in the next 5 to 10 years, with all this residential construction? Maybe at least get back into the 130,000 range.

I don't think we'll hit the 130,000 mark until after the 2010 census. However, assuming an average of 2 people per unit (maybe 1.5 would be more accurate) on projects either under construction or slated to start very soon:

Hartford 21 - 500 residents.

Trumbull on the Park - 200 residents.

Front Street - 400 residents.

The Northland YMCA tower - 600 residents.

The Metropolitan - 100 residents.

Coltsville - 300? residents.

Sage Allen - 200? residents.

Plaza Mayor - 100 residents.

BofA Tower - 200? residents.

That adds up to an extra 2,600 people by 2009.

EDIT: I put question marks next to Coltsville and Sage Allen because I'm not sure how many units are planned for each development off the top of my head. As for the BofA tower, it could be 100 residents or as much as 600, depending on how many floors they convert to residential.

I don't think we'll hit the 130,000 mark until after the 2010 census. However, assuming an average of 2 people per unit (maybe 1.5 would be more accurate) on projects either under construction or slated to start very soon:

EDIT: I put question marks next to Coltsville and Sage Allen because I'm not sure how many units are planned for each development off the top of my head. As for the BofA tower, it could be 100 residents or as much as 600, depending on how many floors they convert to residential.

And that's only downtown, they are rehabbing and building new houses all over the city as well. So I think that chances are decent that we see 130,000 in 2010.

Sage Allen probably will have more than 200 as some units will be UHart's dorm. Plus American Airlines Building add another 150?

does anyone know exactly whats going on with the Northland YMCA Tower? height? renders? start of contruction?

And that's only downtown, they are rehabbing and building new houses all over the city as well. So I think that chances are decent that we see 130,000 in 2010.

True, if more people are moving into the neighborhoods, then Hartford may reach 130,000 by 2008 or 2009.

• 3 months later...

with the slowdown in hartford real estate, highlighted by this week's article in the hartford business journal about marty kenny not turning the building on the corner of pearl and trumbull into condos, do you think northland will actually build all 300 units at the Y? keep in mind, they have not released a single rendering, and H21 is nowhere near fully rented. why would they have 2 vacant residential properties downtown? i understand a portion of the Y is to be condo's, but a portion is to be appartments as well - why build those when vacancy rates are still a bit high? the metropolitan has yet to sell out as well. also, when the agreement was for marty kenny to immeadiatley start renovations on the building at the corner of pearl and trumbull, why is he still sitting on his @$$ over 2 years later with not an iota of work done? the city seems to be pretty lax with enforcing the conditions of sales, ie this property and the society site. why don't they step in and apply some pressure? ridiculous!

with the slowdown in hartford real estate, highlighted by this week's article in the hartford business journal about marty kenny not turning the building on the corner of pearl and trumbull into condos, do you think northland will actually build all 300 units at the Y? keep in mind, they have not released a single rendering, and H21 is nowhere near fully rented. why would they have 2 vacant residential properties downtown? i understand a portion of the Y is to be condo's, but a portion is to be appartments as well - why build those when vacancy rates are still a bit high? the metropolitan has yet to sell out as well. also, when the agreement was for marty kenny to immeadiatley start renovations on the building at the corner of pearl and trumbull, why is he still sitting on his @$$ over 2 years later with not an iota of work done? the city seems to be pretty lax with enforcing the conditions of sales, ie this property and the society site. why don't they step in and apply some pressure? ridiculous!

CVS Expands Hours for Influx of Downtown Residents

After years of catering to the 9-5 business crowd, the Downtown Hartford CVS is expanding its hours to handle all the new people living downtown. The store on Central Row is now open until 8PM, and starting in 2007, it will open on Sundays. It is about time!

Thanks CVS!

CVS Expands Hours for Influx of Downtown Residents

After years of catering to the 9-5 business crowd, the Downtown Hartford CVS is expanding its hours to handle all the new people living downtown. The store on Central Row is now open until 8PM, and starting in 2007, it will open on Sundays. It is about time!

Thanks CVS!

August is traditionally a slow month with rentals. September and October will be a much better gauge. This isn't surprising as many units came on line near the same time. Supply has jumped. Demand will catch up.

The article did day that Trumbull on the Park is 83% rented.

The real isssue is pricing, figuring out what the market will bear will take a little time. The landlords know what they want to charge, the residents will determine what they want to pay.

I heard all the penthouses at Hartford 21 are rented and there is a waiting list. Also many of the apartments on floors 24 and above are taken. One person who lives on a lower floor told me the amenities are incredible: doorman service that you find in New York.

Archived