Portland Development Commission

pdxheel

What are your thoughts on PDC? It is my understanding that they have a lot of power and influence regarding development projects in Portland. Do they have too much power in your opinion?

Other cities have tried to replicate PDC with their own development organization but most do not have the influence PDC does. Portland's development is definitely controlled by public or quasi public organizations rather than a free market/private sector approach. Personally I think PDC is a good thing as it helps coordinate development in a sustainable manner.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the same as a DDA, pdx? From experience I know that the Grand Rapids development Authority has been fairly successful. But i'm not sure if it's the same thing, It's got to be somewhat close.

What are your thoughts on PDC?

I am not a fan. Now I hear they are thinking about going into the hotel business too. No wonder Vancouver, Lake Oswego, Hillsboro, Tualatin, and Beaverton are kicking Portland's butt. I don't blame businesses for looking elsewhere. Portland does not need this and there are better ways to accomplish similar goals via the private sector. It isn't like the city of Portland is struggling on the renewal front.

So are you saying that Portland is struggling on the development front, because it's looking at publicly financing development? I have my reservations about that sort of thing. The city of Phoenix is publicly financing some of it's development projects. Namely a hotel, I wonder whether it helps the city, which for all of it's massive population explosion, is having trouble developing it's downtown. It remains to be seen.

I am not a fan. Now I hear they are thinking about going into the hotel business too. No wonder Vancouver, Lake Oswego, Hillsboro, Tualatin, and Beaverton are kicking Portland's butt. I don't blame businesses for looking elsewhere. Portland does not need this and there are better ways to accomplish similar goals via the private sector. It isn't like the city of Portland is struggling on the renewal front.

I will say this...Portland's renewal is the result of PDC and the city. The Pearl District would have never happened (or it would have happened much later and not to the same extent) if it were not for the public sector. Whether or not it is still needed is another point.

I currently live in a city where the private sector controls all development. It lacks sustainable planning. For example...the tallest building in the city (48 stories I think) is going to be built 5 miles from dowtown, next to a mall and in a flood plain (the area recently flooded). If the public sector had a little more control this would have never happened.

Also...please explain how Vancouver, Lake Oswego, Hillsboro, Tualatin, and Beaverton are kicking Portland's butt.

I would say that as far as PDC goes the proof is in the pudding. The developement in Portland...city center and environs specifically...is envied and emulated across the country. The quality of life in Portland is extremely high...PDC has a part to play in that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived