ABA Team Coming to Fayetteville

mcheiss

The American Basketball Association said this week that it will add teams from Little Rock and Fayetteville to its lineup this fall.

The Fayetteville team will be called the Arkansas Aeros.

A Little Rock team also will launch this fall, but it has yet to be named.

Owners are trying to hire Meadowlark Lemon, the former Harlem Globtrotter, or Otis Birdson, the former Boston Celtic, as player coach or to work in the marketing department.

For each new basketball team, 18 to 22 players will be hired.

I don't think this is associated with the new Sports Arena, so it may be played in Bud Walton Arena. Kind of odd this was announced today, especially since the owners of the Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Complex are suppose to announce another team within a week.

I can't see this working in Little Rock, seeing as how they already have an NBDL, or National Basketball Development League Team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little known to most Arkansans, or even Little Rockians, Little Rock has TWO pro basketball teams already. The RimRockers, of course, and the Arkansas Archangels. The Arkansas Archangels are part of the WBA http://www.wbaball.net/. They play in the old UALR basketball stadium.

So I guess now we have three. The NBDL is probably the best league to watch....it has all the future NBA players.

All three Little Rock teams have "Arkansas" as the location--not the city. Now Fayetteville too. I'm gonna put bets down that the Little Rock ABA team folds before the first season ends (the market is ALREADY too saturated for the WBA team). The WBA team is playing within its own financial resources (at UALR old stadium), so hopefully it will be fine.

They could also play at the arena in Philander Smith College arena.

More likely, they could share UALR's new 6000 seat arena. I guess there would be no alcohol sales at either, though, where there could be at Barton.

The secret to minor league sports in Arkansas is to bring in lots of former Razorbacks. If the ABA teams do that they might have some attendees but I have to wonder, tons of teams have folded at mid-season last year and the year before because the revenue couldn't even cover travel expenses.

If you go to http://abalive.com/ you see that there is a giant Arkansas flagged draped over the front. Hahhahaha. It's like he's declaring he's conquered Arkansas again, after the most successful team in minor league basketball history (that's the RimRockers) left the league. If you followed the messageboards, Newman got a lot of flack for that. The RimRockers really were the last beacon of hope for the ABA, and fans of other ABA teams (the few that existed) really looked up to the team. In the championship game, there were 14,000+ fans! That's really incredible for the minor leagues.

More likely, they could share UALR's new 6000 seat arena. I guess there would be no alcohol sales at either, though, where there could be at Barton.

The secret to minor league sports in Arkansas is to bring in lots of former Razorbacks. If the ABA teams do that they might have some attendees but I have to wonder, tons of teams have folded at mid-season last year and the year before because the revenue couldn't even cover travel expenses.

Doesn't UALR allow alcohol sales now?

I could have sworn during mid-season of the Trojans that alcohol sales came into play.

The statement from the ABA:

ABA to return to Little Rock this season

07/01/06 - American Basketball Association (ABA)

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that it will return to Little Rock, Arkansas for the upcoming season starting in November. "Little Rock was a great ABA city two years ago. The nearly 15,000 people who attended the ABA Championship Game set an all-time attendance record for the league. We've received hundreds of calls and emails from fans asking us to bring back exciting, fast-paced ABA basketball and entertainment at affordable prices. The fans of Arkansas deserve no less. We will return this season."

The team (to be named) will be owned by Wilkerson Resources, a holding company for a variety of companies including Trade Links, one of the world's largest corporate bartering companies as well as BarterAmericas (www.barteramericas.com). Headed by businessman Charles Wilkerson, the company also owns six National Indoor Football teams (NIFL) and has an extensive background in business and sports. According to Wilkerson, "We have so many things and people in place with facilities, corporate sponsors, strategic partners etc that we feel that we can put this together in the next four months and present a top quality organization and a great basketball team, something the fans of Little Rock certainly deserve. We will be announcing our staff, management, coaches, tryout camps and other things shortly. We're ready to go and are proud to be a part of Little Rock and the ABA." For more information, call 479 845 0440 or email [email protected] or visit www.abalive.com.

And here for Fayetteville:

ABA ADDS SECOND ARKANSAS TEAM FOR UPCOMING SEASON

05-Jul-2006

Indianapolis, IN -- The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that a second Arkansas team has been added to its expansion teams for the upcoming season.

According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We have had a tremendous amount of interest in the ABA from Northwest Arkansas. In our discussions with Charles Wilkerson, owner of the just-announced ABA team set for Little Rock, it was decided that adding a second team in Arkansas would have some great advantages and would create an excellent rivalry. So, he decided to do it."

Wilkerson added, "The ABA business model is truly remarkable. It is little wonder that the league is growing as it is. The ABA Rules make it the most exciting professional basketball in the world; the ABA interest in community involvement and youth is second to none. We think that the fans of Northwest Arkansas will really get behind the team and support it well. We know that we have a lot of work cut out for us in the next four months, but our experience in indoor football gives us a good head start on marketing, promotion, operations, community involvement, and the other things necessary for a successful operation. We'll be ready. We're talking to venues, coaches, personnel already. And as I said earlier in the week, we're proud to be a part of the ABA."

For more information, call (479) 845-0440 or email [email protected].

They're owned by the same guy.

The ABA really isn't a very well-run organization which is why Crain and company jumped at the chance to leave for the NBADL. I have no idea where the LR team will play. It certainly won't be Alltel, I guess it could be Barton Coliseum.

Yeah what I heard is that they were looking into Barton Coliseum for Little Rock and Barnhill Arena for Fayetteville. I was a bit surprised at Little Rock getting another ABA team but considering how well they did in attendance and such I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Not sure if they'll be able to draw like the Rimrockers.

I'm pretty sure.

They haven't played a game since April 15th.

Great to see the ABA is finally getting quality business owners </sarcasm>

Joe Newman, CEO of the ABA, is a fraud. He makes money off of the league entrance fee (like $20,000)....that's why he hads around 25 or more teams per year.

I'm pretty sure.

They haven't played a game since April 15th.

I'm not sure but I got the impression someone else owns them now and it was a bit late to pick back up this season. But I think they are expected to play next year. But I haven't seen any hard facts on this.

Doesn't UALR allow alcohol sales now?

I could have sworn during mid-season of the Trojans that alcohol sales came into play.

You know what, I think you are absolutely right. The NCAA generally doesn't like alcohol at on-campus arenas but I think that was a big issue when the arena was being built. Lack of alcohol sales would hurt attendance considerably.

You know what, I think you are absolutely right. The NCAA generally doesn't like alcohol at on-campus arenas but I think that was a big issue when the arena was being built. Lack of alcohol sales would hurt attendance considerably.

I wonder if the Aeros might eventually try to relocate to the sports arena being built near Highfill.

Correction, it was last saturday July 1st. It was the last game of the season and they beat the Twin City Gators from Lousiana. Im not sure what the final count was, but i heard that it was a pretty good turn out, hopefully everything works out because indoor football is realy fun to watch.

Correction, it was last saturday July 1st. It was the last game of the season and they beat the Twin City Gators from Lousiana. Im not sure what the final count was, but i heard that it was a pretty good turn out, hopefully everything works out because indoor football is realy fun to watch.

Nice to hear.

I'm not sure if they are going to move to the new Sports Arena in Bentonville, it may be cheaper than renting out of the Tyson Track Center.

I dont understand why they dont just rent out the All Star Sports Arena in Springdale. That place is pretty big and its brand new.

Good point, but I think the AllStar Sports Arena in Springdale is more of a community facility that hosts youth athletics programs and sports camps. It wouldn't facilitate professional sports, because there's so many sporting events going on there all the time. You can check out their website which is full of important information. It is an awesome sports complex without equal in NWA.

AllStar Sports Arena

Still interesting. I don't think I had heard of this sports complex.

Springdale really does have a strong sports identity and it would be sad if the ballpark isn't built in Springdale. I'd say that as for non-collegiate sports Springdale is the capitol of NWA!

Springdale sports complexes include Parsons Stadium (rodeo), AllStar Sports Arena (multi-use), Jones Center for Families (multi-use), Randal Tyson Park (multi-use) and J.B. Hunt Park (baseball). Hopefilly they'll add George Field (minor league baseball) to the list.

Archived