ABA Team Coming to Fayetteville

mcheiss

I'll agree that Springdale is the sports capitol of non-collegiate sports in NWA.

As far as All Star Sports Arena being the best Sports Complex in NWA, I've been reading and it's even being called the one of the Mid-South's largest Sports Complex's. Another Sports Complex that is on the prestige of the ASSA is the Walton Life Fitness Center in Bentonville. The location boasts an Olympic Sized Swimming Pool, 2 Full Length Basketball Courts with 10 Basketball Hoops, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Family Sized Swimming Pool, Several Thousand Sq. Foot Weight Room, A Tennis Center with 12 Tennis Courts (6 Indoor, 6 Outdoor), Numerous Classes ranging fromm Kick Boxing, Dancing, to Martial Arts, and a nice Snack Bar.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll agree that Springdale is the sports capitol of non-collegiate sports in NWA.

As far as All Star Sports Arena being the best Sports Complex in NWA, I've been reading and it's even being called the one of the Mid-South's largest Sports Complex's. Another Sports Complex that is on the prestige of the ASSA is the Walton Life Fitness Center in Bentonville. The location boasts an Olympic Sized Swimming Pool, 2 Full Length Basketball Courts with 10 Basketball Hoops, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Family Sized Swimming Pool, Several Thousand Sq. Foot Weight Room, A Tennis Center with 12 Tennis Courts (6 Indoor, 6 Outdoor), Numerous Classes ranging fromm Kick Boxing, Dancing, to Martial Arts, and a nice Snack Bar.

Uh... how does one become a member of the Walton Life Fitness Center? It sounds awesome... and expensive.

The Jones Center for Families in Springdale has an olympic-sized swimming pool, a full length basketball court/indoor track, family-sized pool, outdoor tennis courts, soccer fields, fitness center, numerous classes, community library/computer center, and the regions only indoor ice rink/hockey stadium... oh and it's all FREE to the NWA community.

Looks like they've hired a coach for the Aeros. Also looks like they named the other team. They'll be the Little Rock RiverCatz. The bad thing about starting both teams at the same time is that they'll both be going after the former Razorbacks.

Looks like they've hired a coach for the Aeros. Also looks like they named the other team. They'll be the Little Rock RiverCatz. The bad thing about starting both teams at the same time is that they'll both be going after the former Razorbacks.

Catz with a "z"!?!?!?

How COOL!

</sarcasm>

Catz with a "z"!?!?!?

How COOL!

</sarcasm>

Yeah come on you know it had to have some 'hood' credibility. :lol: Just kidding, yeah that's one of the first things I noticed about the name myself. Didn't one of the hockey teams have the words cats in it as well. Is this a new theme for Little Rock?

• 1 month later...

It looks like tryouts for the Arkansas Aeros will be September 2nd at the All Star Arena in Springdale.

The Aeros will play 36 games (18 Home, 18 Away). So far, officials have said they are hoping to have former Hog Basketball Players, as well as some from Oklahoma.

It looks like tryouts for the Arkansas Aeros will be September 2nd at the All Star Arena in Springdale.

The Aeros will play 36 games (18 Home, 18 Away). So far, officials have said they are hoping to have former Hog Basketball Players, as well as some from Oklahoma.

I need to go see when the ABA season starts. I just realized I have no idea when they'll be playing.

36 "games," plus or minus 20.

Aside from tryouts at the Springdale All Star Arena where will this team call their home? Surely not the ASA as it's home to many youth games and wouldn't appeal to serious fans.

Now I have a question. All along I had been hearing that the Aeros would be playing at Barnhill. But now I'm hearing the All-Star Sports Arena being mentioned more and more. Did Barnhill fall through? An article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette gives me the impression they will end up playing in Springdale. Did anyone hear what happened? I suppose we'll have to have Matt change the title of the topic as well.

Now I have a question. All along I had been hearing that the Aeros would be playing at Barnhill. But now I'm hearing the All-Star Sports Arena being mentioned more and more. Did Barnhill fall through? An article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette gives me the impression they will end up playing in Springdale. Did anyone hear what happened? I suppose we'll have to have Matt change the title of the topic as well.

I thought try-outs were just going to be in the All Star Sports Arena, with practice and games at Barnhill. I say we wait for an official announcement on the whole issue before I change the title.

I thought try-outs were just going to be in the All Star Sports Arena, with practice and games at Barnhill. I say we wait for an official announcement on the whole issue before I change the title.

That's what I had thought. But the article in today's paper made it sound like it would be more than just the tryouts. At least that was the impression I had gotten.

That's what I had thought. But the article in today's paper made it sound like it would be more than just the tryouts. At least that was the impression I had gotten.

There was an article detailing the fact Corey Beck would be a player-coach in the Demozette that said they were playing at All Star Sports Arena but no elaboration was given.

The media is always twisting things around. I wish we could get more official annoucements on these kinds of issues.

I would bet the real issue is the ABA is so mickey mouse there have been no press releases. Seriously, it's a TERRIBLY run league.

Yeah I know, I havem't heard too many good things about the ABA. But I doubt we could look into getting a DNBA (are those the right initlas?) team. I'd still rather have it than nothing.

Yeah I know, I havem't heard too many good things about the ABA. But I doubt we could look into getting a DNBA (are those the right initlas?) team. I'd still rather have it than nothing.

I myself would like to see an NBDL (Those are the right initials), but I don't think the market is big enough.

I myself would like to see an NBDL (Those are the right initials), but I don't think the market is big enough.

There we go, I knew mine was wrong but I was drawing a blank. Yeah I think everyone would much rather have that. But as you mentioned I really don't think our metro is big enough. Bad thing is unless they do some major expansions into smaller markets I don't see us being big enough to attract a team for a long time.

There we go, I knew mine was wrong but I was drawing a blank. Yeah I think everyone would much rather have that. But as you mentioned I really don't think our metro is big enough. Bad thing is unless they do some major expansions into smaller markets I don't see us being big enough to attract a team for a long time.

I don't think it's the market size that's an issue as much as it is competition with UA basketball. Minor league pro basketball takes a big backseat to college ball, especially when you're talking one of the better known programs in the country.

Baseball's a different story, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess we're going to have to change the title of this topic. Everything I keep seeing says the team will be playing in Springdale. An article in today's paper even referred to them as Springdale's Aeros. Guess the Barnhill thing fell through. Sorry to get this off topic but it seems to me that the university, or more particularly a athletic director, isn't allowing any use of facilities on campus unless it's something he has something to do with. There have been some events that support very good causes which is great but I don't ever seem to see anything else there anymore, even other events for other causes that Broyles isn't supporting. Just a bit frustrating to me I guess. Of course there is the exception of Bud Walton Arena for the Wal-mart stockholders meetings. But I think Bud Walton had made that stipulation before he donated the money.

Archived