ABA Team Coming to Fayetteville

mcheiss

Guess we're going to have to change the title of this topic. Everything I keep seeing says the team will be playing in Springdale. An article in today's paper even referred to them as Springdale's Aeros. Guess the Barnhill thing fell through. Sorry to get this off topic but it seems to me that the university, or more particularly a athletic director, isn't allowing any use of facilities on campus unless it's something he has something to do with. There have been some events that support very good causes which is great but I don't ever seem to see anything else there anymore, even other events for other causes that Broyles isn't supporting. Just a bit frustrating to me I guess. Of course there is the exception of Bud Walton Arena for the Wal-mart stockholders meetings. But I think Bud Walton had made that stipulation before he donated the money.

This ABA thing is too rinky-dink for the UA even to get involved in. I'm sure they'd stiff the UA on rent if trends continue. They let the Indoor Track Center be used for another mickey mouse football league but at least it was a bit more reputable.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ABA thing is too rinky-dink for the UA even to get involved in. I'm sure they'd stiff the UA on rent if trends continue. They let the Indoor Track Center be used for another mickey mouse football league but at least it was a bit more reputable.

I personally don't take any semi-pro sports team serious if they have to use a university's stadium. I figure if they're a decent team they should have their own stadium, otherwise they're just amateurs.

I personally don't take any semi-pro sports team serious if they have to use a university's stadium. I figure if they're a decent team they should have their own stadium, otherwise they're just amateurs.

Well, I think it makes sense if the university stadium is of much higher quality. Bud Walton is a much nicer facility than this Springdale complex and as far as basketball is concerned will be much nicer than the Bentonville arena. Minor league sports seldom put up the numbers that major conference DI sports do, even at much lower ticket prices.

Well, I think it makes sense if the university stadium is of much higher quality. Bud Walton is a much nicer facility than this Springdale complex and as far as basketball is concerned will be much nicer than the Bentonville arena. Minor league sports seldom put up the numbers that major conference DI sports do, even at much lower ticket prices.

They weren't going to play at Bud Walton though. They were originally going to play at Barnhill.

They weren't going to play at Bud Walton though. They were originally going to play at Barnhill.

And the implied point is, "What the hell better use is Barnhill being used for?", which is entirely legitimate. I don't know. The Women's Volleyball facility can surely find time to allow some ABA games. For all we know, though, the owners just wanted to sell beer.

More than likely. That's probably their biggest form of revenue.

It might be interesting, to see if ABC allows a liquor permit at the Arkansas Sports Complex. Afterall, this is a family facility.

You can buy pitchers of beer at Chuck E Cheese. I don't see the problem.

I think Springdale is so willing to try to get these sorts of things in their town as opposed to elsewhere in NWA they would help them get the permit.

You can buy pitchers of beer at Chuck E Cheese. I don't see the problem.

I think Springdale is so willing to try to get these sorts of things in their town as opposed to elsewhere in NWA they would help them get the permit.

You and I both know Ronnie Floyd won't stand for it. I think there could be some opposition to it, simply because this basically a rec. center.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the ABA team is officially going to be playing at the Randall Tyson Track Center, along with the National Indoor Football Team the Arkansas Stars.

I'm surprised they won't be at Barnhill. I can't see the Tyson Center set up for basketball...

The other ABA team will be playing in Pine Bluff instead of Little Rock, I'm sure this is because of difficulty finding a venue.

I'm somewhat susprised the university is going to let them play on campus at all. Is this a done deal now? They keep moving around. I can't see why they couldn't play at Barnhill either. Surely they could move games around so that it wouldn't get in the way of the gymnastics. Isn't that the only thing that goes on in there now?

There was an ABA Conference in Indianapolis this past week ending on Saturday and I know one of the local investors was at this meeting. I suspect more information to come out soon.

I'm somewhat susprised the university is going to let them play on campus at all. Is this a done deal now? They keep moving around. I can't see why they couldn't play at Barnhill either. Surely they could move games around so that it wouldn't get in the way of the gymnastics. Isn't that the only thing that goes on in there now?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like former Razorback Todd Day will be a member of the Aeros. He apparently really wasn't interested and didn't plan on coming back and play basketball. But the team kept in contact with him and he eventually agreed. The Aeros first game will be Nov 2nd against Monterey Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, it's a combination of different factors. Bad timing, for one, as everyone is way more interested in the UA football team. The "lack of other sports" is a pretty good point. Who wants to see Larry Satchell play in a high school gym when he'd be riding the pine down at Bud Walton this season? Mostly, though, it's just the crappiness of the league in general. I don't think other cities and venues will do much better.

Archived