Yeah Little Rocks improving but at a a huge risk!

As much as I like my hometown i feel were not doing enough....it seems that were not moving fast enough...yeh were starting to build stuff, but you know what ! we are at the bottom when it comes to making money!( Arkansas as a state) instead of raising our taxes to make it look nicer and bring people to the state they need to increase our pay and then more people will move to Little Rock and bring better jobs so that we want have to leave the state 2 find a decent job! Stop raising our taxes and raise our pay! Build more middle class homes....but its these old people in office who dont want anything to change and want Little Rock and Arkansas to stay small and quiet. How do you guys feel or is it just me?!?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you man.

A lot of politicians want Arkansas to stay small and quaint. If that's the way they make it, then atleast let areas like Little Rock and Northwest Arkansas have the incentives and infastructure to become larger metropolitian areas.

For decades Little Rock politicians had to fight tooth and nail to get things done against a rural-dominated Senate and House. With NWA emerging as a 2nd metropolitan area things have shifted quite a bit and maybe now things can happen with two sizable urban centers but both MSAs are still outnumbered by the state's rural population. A lot of politicians from counties with fewer than 10,000 residents don't see the merits of rebuilding urban interstates, public transportation, and new arenas and other facilities. It can be a bit of an uphill climb at times.

The "better jobs" issue is the main one to me. No administration in memory has really addressed this. I really thought Win Rockefeller was the guy, he was going to make his agenda trying to make Arkansas business-friendly and bring in more upper and middle tier jobs. I would vote for anyone that made this his primary platform, Republican or Democrat. Huck has wooed the automakers to no avail and while it's a noble goal, a single auto factory in Marion does little for the state as a whole.

As much as I like my hometown i feel were not doing enough....it seems that were not moving fast enough...yeh were starting to build stuff, but you know what ! we are at the bottom when it comes to making money!( Arkansas as a state) instead of raising our taxes to make it look nicer and bring people to the state they need to increase our pay and then more people will move to Little Rock and bring better jobs so that we want have to leave the state 2 find a decent job! Stop raising our taxes and raise our pay! Build more middle class homes....but its these old people in office who dont want anything to change and want Little Rock and Arkansas to stay small and quiet. How do you guys feel or is it just me?!?

This is a very confusing post. You switch from first to third person in the middle of the post, and don

I don't live in Little Rock, but I'm very familiar with "old money" and the control it can have over a city or metro area. I also know that you're correct, as I know a few people in Little Rock who complain about the old money stifling growth.

I don't live in Little Rock, but I'm very familiar with "old money" and the control it can have over a city or metro area. I also know that you're correct, as I know a few people in Little Rock who complain about the old money stifling growth.

Interesting.

I think Warren Stephens' "old money" is a big impetus behing a lot of Little Rock's growth. He is a certainly a major proponent of downtown's resurgence and has put up quite a bit of his own money, including a ten million dollar donation of the land for the site of the new minor league baseball stadium. He has bought up a ton of property in the Main St area and is preparing for some new projects there. The Stephens also were the ones that restored the downtown Capital Hotel which is now the finest hotel in LR and they are currently funding a major renovation of it.

Interesting.

I think Warren Stephens' "old money" is a big impetus behing a lot of Little Rock's growth. He is a certainly a major proponent of downtown's resurgence and has put up quite a bit of his own money, including a ten million dollar donation of the land for the site of the new minor league baseball stadium. He has bought up a ton of property in the Main St area and is preparing for some new projects there. The Stephens also were the ones that restored the downtown Capital Hotel which is now the finest hotel in LR and they are currently funding a major renovation of it.

So you're saying that the people complaining about the "old money" are misinformed? Could be. Like I said, I don't live there. Warren Stephens' projects sound like they're great for the city, and quite contrary to what I've been told about Little Rock. I certainly don't want to spread negative or incorrect information, so I'll remember what you said the next time I hear someone I know complaining about old money in Little Rock.

C,mon im just talking im not writin a english essay..lol...... , for example, were raising taxes for baseball field being built and i think its a great idea but we arkansas are not that good when it comes to making money and then they want us topay taxes for getting a bigger jail ( Which is great nad im hands up for it! and) , but we dont make a lot we need better jobs....is that better.....if i need to clarify anything just post it...thanks.. :)

The voters in North Little Rock chose to fund the ballpark with a three year extended sales tax. Like you, I

Down, boy.

I simply said this is something I've been told by people I know who live there, so don't get bent out of shape. Never did I claim to have any kind of proof, nor do I. Stirring the pot? No. Agreeing, yes, based on what I'd heard.

Then, I specifically said "I certainly don't want to spread negative or incorrect information." My involvement with the "old money" discussion ended there, so why quote me and give me the "post proof" BS? I stated the extent of my knowledge on the subject from the beginning; it's hearsay and I admitted that at the start.

I

Nor was/am I bent out of shape.

And yes, I did realize that in my first post I gave the hearsay a bit too much credibility, but considering I'd heard it numerous times before, and then I happened to see a post about it, it seemed like the thing to say at the time.

However, in the posts following the initial one, I did clearly acknowledge that it was nothing more than hearsay. But in the end, what's done is done, and I can't take back what was said. All I can do is say that I shouldn't have put as much stock in a rumor.

Ok..i know that we as a city (NLR) voted for a a new ball park but im just saying were gonna need better jobs and more jobs to help compensate for all the new growth, and to the person who said that everywhere people need more jobs, of course, but when your in the bottom five ( statewise as far as total population over money average) and your trying to bring in people that can be a problem! in arkansas a teacher averages about 22, 000 to start off (this is not the most accurate data but it is in that area) and in Houston they average about 35,ooo a year. yeh, i know Little Rock cant be compared to Houston, but im just sayin thats whats bringing in people and why theses city are growing instead of declining just look at fayettville, arkansas they make decent money and look at there population growth.

Ok..i know that we as a city (NLR) voted for a a new ball park but im just saying were gonna need better jobs and more jobs to help compensate for all the new growth, and to the person who said that everywhere people need more jobs, of course, but when your in the bottom five ( statewise as far as total population over money average) and your trying to bring in people that can be a problem! in arkansas a teacher averages about 22, 000 to start off (this is not the most accurate data but it is in that area) and in Houston they average about 35,ooo a year. yeh, i know Little Rock cant be compared to Houston, but im just sayin thats whats bringing in people and why theses city are growing instead of declining just look at fayettville, arkansas they make decent money and look at there population growth.

Your figures are off on starting pay for teachers in Arkansas. Next year the average will be $28,611 for the state. In Little Rock this years starting pay for 91/4 months work is $30,190 and for 12 months it is $38,838. This is with a BA only. Also, a very good health care plan along with a district funded pension plan. With more education and working full time the starting pay can be as high as $48,771.

I would like to know where you got the 22k for a starting teacher came from, because that is way off the mark. I know schools in Arkansas are catching up to nearby states, as far as pay goes, and I'm not sure if most of that has to due with NWA or not. Teachers in NWA start at around 40k in Bentonville, Fayetteville, and Springdale, but comparing LR to Houston is like comparing apples to oranges, they just aren't the same.

The average teacher salary in Arkansas is $40,500 which puts it 26th on a cost-of-living adjusted salary comparison. Interestingly, Texas was 48th on the same list. Hmm.

As for Little Rock, the lowest salary you can make for only 9 mos in 2002 was $26,500. For 12 months it's $34,150. Those numbers are for teachers with no experience at all. I'm told that since then the payscale has increased by about $5000. Salaries jump about $1500 per year of experience for the first 6 years.

The average teacher salary in Arkansas is $40,500 which puts it 26th on a cost-of-living adjusted salary comparison. Interestingly, Texas was 48th on the same list. Hmm.

As for Little Rock, the lowest salary you can make for only 9 mos in 2002 was $26,500. For 12 months it's $34,150. Those numbers are for teachers with no experience at all. I'm told that since then the payscale has increased by about $5000. Salaries jump about $1500 per year of experience for the first 6 years.

Hey I guess you guys are right i went to salarywiz and the salary is higher than i thought..i got mine from a survey i did on a few teachers and and they didnt tell me how much they made but they gave me a range but if the salary is sooooo high why do sum of my teachers have 2 jobs and say the dont make enough... the statistics say im wrong though......Im a 06' graduate in little rock

Hey I guess you guys are right i went to salarywiz and the salary is higher than i thought..i got mine from a survey i did on a few teachers and and they didnt tell me how much they made but they gave me a range but if the salary is sooooo high why do sum of my teachers have 2 jobs and say the dont make enough... the statistics say im wrong though......Im a 06' graduate in little rock

Because they're hell-bent liberal commies and hate america.

'06 grad here too.

It's not as easy to live on that salary as you might think, especially as a single income homeowner. That money may sound like a lot right now but it's really not if you're the head of household or a single parent.

It's not as easy to live on that salary as you might think, especially as a single income homeowner. That money may sound like a lot right now but it's really not if you're the head of household or a single parent.

The money stated is for those just getting out of college starting their first teaching job. In Little Rock the salaries go up to $60,000/$75,000 + depending on the amount of additional education a teacher wants to get. This does not take into account additional pay if they oversee a club or other activity.

The money stated is for those just getting out of college starting their first teaching job. In Little Rock the salaries go up to $60,000/$75,000 + depending on the amount of additional education a teacher wants to get. This does not take into account additional pay if they oversee a club or other activity.

I just mean in general that this seems like quite a bit until you finish college. He was asking why some teachers need second jobs and it's generally that that income won't allow you to own a home while living a lavish lifestyle unless there's a second income from a spouse or another job.

Of course, teaching allows more time to work additionally because it ends earlier in the day and you have free weekends, holidays, and summers.

That can't be true. My Dad teaches at ASMSA, the best (or one of) school in the state, and makes in the mid to upper 40,000 range. He's been teaching there for 13 years. He has a masters in Physics (and mathematics?).

Sponsoring a club does not bring in additional pay...or even sponsoring a school sport (coaching).

60,000/75,000 is definitely not right.

Teaching hours are officially from 8-4:00 (can't leave school during these hours). Not to mention grading tests, quizzes, designing labs, etc. For preparing labs, you have to go to work early. For tutoring students, you have to leave late.

I guess summer's not so bad.

That can't be true. My Dad teaches at ASMSA, the best (or one of) school in the state, and makes in the mid to upper 40,000 range. He's been teaching there for 13 years. He has a masters in Physics (and mathematics?).

Sponsoring a club does not bring in additional pay...or even sponsoring a school sport (coaching).

60,000/75,000 is definitely not right.

Teaching hours are officially from 8-4:00 (can't leave school during these hours). Not to mention grading tests, quizzes, designing labs, etc. For preparing labs, you have to go to work early. For tutoring students, you have to leave late.

I guess summer's not so bad.

Coaches can and do make a lot more than that, I know that. The better football coaches can make six figures. They are compensates for additional time spent on activities outside of normal hours.

I don't know about the ASMSA because that's a different deal than the LRSD. Private schools generally pay a good bit less than their public school counterparts because a lot of teachers are willing to sacrifice pay for working in a pleasant, disciplined environment with more eager pupils.

Coaches can and do make a lot more than that, I know that. The better football coaches can make six figures. They are compensates for additional time spent on activities outside of normal hours.

I don't know about the ASMSA because that's a different deal than the LRSD. Private schools generally pay a good bit less than their public school counterparts because a lot of teachers are willing to sacrifice pay for working in a pleasant, disciplined environment with more eager pupils.

I meant "sponsoring" a team. I meant to pair that more clearly with sponsoring a club and the like.

At ASMSA, there are no coaches. The ASMSA baseball team has a volunteer-coach from the teaching staff. ASMSA does not have its own sports teams (students usually play for Hot Springs).

Archived