The Dickson

OnDickson

Another possible mixed use development on Dickson Street (that was the original title of this thread before Divinity had a name, so I'm just going to put this here for lack of a better place). I just saw some rough renderings of the proposed mixed use development for the Mr. Tux Building at Dickson and Gregg. This has been rumored for some time, ever since the building sold a year or more ago. I'd recently seen them digging some test holes around the building so I figured something was about to happen. I expected maybe a nice condo or two above Mr. Tux, but WOW, it looks like they're going to go way up--like 5+ stories up. I only saw the drawings briefly and they weren't too detailed, but I could tell it was going to be several stories and have a row of garages on the bottom level facing Gregg. I still can't figure out how the heck they are going to fit it on that tiny little lot, unless they manage to buy some of the surrounding parking lot. It will be interesting to see the details of this project as they come out.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another possible mixed use development on Dickson Street (that was the original title of this thread before Divinity had a name, so I'm just going to put this here for lack of a better place). I just saw some rough renderings of the proposed mixed use development for the Mr. Tux Building at Dickson and Gregg. This has been rumored for some time, ever since the building sold a year or more ago. I'd recently seen them digging some test holes around the building so I figured something was about to happen. I expected maybe a nice condo or two above Mr. Tux, but WOW, it looks like they're going to go way up--like 5+ stories up. I only saw the drawings briefly and they weren't too detailed, but I could tell it was going to be several stories and have a row of garages on the bottom level facing Gregg. I still can't figure out how the heck they are going to fit it on that tiny little lot, unless they manage to buy some of the surrounding parking lot. It will be interesting to see the details of this project as they come out.

That's great to hear. I'm also grateful to hear that the Divinity Project isn't completly done with.

BTW, where did you see renders of this?

BTW, where did you see renders of this?

I'm almost afraid to say because it means that there is apparently going to be at least a little bit of opposition to this project as well. Oh well, this is Fayetteville after all. :lol:

One of my regular customers who lives in the neighborhood around Mr. Tux showed me the drawing that he got from his neighborhood association of the proposed Mr. Tux Building. I got the idea that what I saw was some working drawings that they are using for going through city planning and they weren't overly detailed. Apparently there are at least a couple of people in the neighborhood who are quite concerned about this proposal. I guess that's to be expected, though.

There are some legitimate concerns about this project, but I think that finally both sides are close to a compromise that will satisfy the majority of people.

I agree. While the project is not in touch with the master plan and both sides would like to fight to the death. I am sure the City Council will approve this and the revised project will please the Majority of the people

Wow. It seems like that came straight out of left field....or beyond. I give up.

Back to Divinity itsself: contrary to what you may think, it is not dead and it will still be built. But Divinity actually meets very few of the requirements established in the Downtown Master Plan that you were admittedly impressed with (building materials, design, compatibility,height, etc). There's a bit of hypocrasy there, as well in allowing a project that is contrary to so many elements of the Plan. Hey, I'm a big Divinity supporter, but I realize that not everyone who opposes this project is a tree hugger, or anti growth or a lover of concrete eyesores. There are some legitimate concerns about this project, but I think that finally both sides are close to a compromise that will satisfy the majority of people.

You're right. I give up too. It's not worth mulling over a great development that will only end up being an ok development by the time the PC is done with it. You win.

Interesting. I also can't see how in the world they can do something like that with such a small building. I went to Google Earth to refresh my memory... in fact, it looks much smaller from above than I remember in person. Awsome location though.

Interesting. I also can't see how in the world they can do something like that with such a small building. I went to Google Earth to refresh my memory... in fact, it looks much smaller from above than I remember in person. Awsome location though.

The picture I have is a copy of a low resolution black and white printout so it's tough to make out many details. I count 6 stories and it looks like it goes right up to the street on all sides. The picture was taken looking to the Northwest (like from behind Georges). You can see Georges, Campus Bookstore, Underwoods and 2 story building across the street the used to house the blue parrot--and it literally towers above those. I just drove by there a minute ago, drawing in hand and I just don't see how on earth it's going to fit--it does look cool, though. Also curious about parking, unless the whole bottom floor is going to be a parking garage rather than retail.

I'm supposed to be getting the color renderings (there are 3 total) e-mailed to me tomorrow so maybe I can make out some more details from those.

Another interesting note about the project: it is less than one acre in size which means that it will not have to go through the planning commission. However, I don't know if that means that it can proceed with administrative approval or if it has to be approved by the city council.

The picture I have is a copy of a low resolution black and white printout so it's tough to make out many details. I count 6 stories and it looks like it goes right up to the street on all sides. The picture was taken looking to the Northwest (like from behind Georges). You can see Georges, Campus Bookstore, Underwoods and 2 story building across the street the used to house the blue parrot--and it literally towers above those. I just drove by there a minute ago, drawing in hand and I just don't see how on earth it's going to fit--it does look cool, though. Also curious about parking, unless the whole bottom floor is going to be a parking garage rather than retail.

I'm supposed to be getting the color renderings (there are 3 total) e-mailed to me tomorrow so maybe I can make out some more details from those.

Another interesting note about the project: it is less than one acre in size which means that it will not have to go through the planning commission. However, I don't know if that means that it can proceed with administrative approval or if it has to be approved by the city council.

Thanks for the info OnDickson! This sounds like a very interesting deveolopment. I guess the developers are already "giving in" to the 6-story height limit (at least on Dickson itself). I am very interested to know who is doing this project, but I could probably guess it in less than 3 chances. Let us know if you get the better renderings. We would all like to take a look.

Don't give up on the Divinity. It will eventually make it through...as long as the Barber Group doesn't get into too much financial trouble. But it probably won't look very much like it did at the beginning or even what it looks like now.

The Mr. Tux development is called simply "THE DICKSON". I'm not sure if that is the final name, but it is the official name on all of the images that the city has. Looks like it is indeed going to be 6 stories, mostly residential and possibly some office space, with the ground floor for parking. I didn't hear any details on how many units, sizes etc, but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing some more information on the project in the papers in the near future. I get the idea that because of the small lot size and because it apparently meets all current and possible future zoning requirements that The Dickson may get to proceed with merely administrative approval from the city. I'm looking at the images of 'The Dickson' right now and it looks great--it still doesn't seem possible to make it all fit on that tiny little lot, though.

The images of 'The Dickson' were prominently displayed tonight at the Downtown Master Plan Meeting along with renderings for Renaissance, Divinity, Legacy and Underwood. I must say, seeing them all displayed at the same time...wow....that's a pretty impressive collection of major developments slated for downtown Fayetteville in the immediate future. It was also pretty cool to see the 3D models of what Downtown and Dickson will look like after these projects are complete. They were also able to show what Downtown Fayetteville would look like if it were to develop according to the proposed Master Plan and I must say again--very impressive. Despite what some members of this forum might lead you to believe, Downtown Fayetteville is literally on the verge of a period of explosive growth and development. These projects, along with many others that are rumored or in the works are going to dramatically transform the entire area and give it a decidedly more urban feel. Very exciting times ahead for Downtown/Dickson!

Wish I could have been there, did Fayetteville look like a big city?

Good to hear about "The Dickson", that's the kind of projects I like to hear about going on for downtown Fayetteville. I hope it won't have any opposition, it does meet the Downtown Dickson requirements.

Despite what some members of this forum might lead you to believe, Downtown Fayetteville is literally on the verge of a period of explosive growth and development. These projects, along with many others that are rumored or in the works are going to dramatically transform the entire area and give it a decidedly more urban feel. Very exciting times ahead for Downtown/Dickson!

The only reason I even mentioned any eyesores in Fayetteville is because everyone else was saying how the Divinity would be an eyesore. If you recall I was the only one who even liked the Divinity when the first render came out. I've never said anything negative about any of the Fayetteville developments, but I've been expressing that Fayetteville developments seemed to be slow-going. That's only because I have no patience and want everything to just start going up at once. A scaled down Divinity and The Dickson sound great for Dickson Street, but I wish I could see the renders for them. I'm still dissapointed that the original Divinity isn't going to happen and I'd still like to see it built somewhere in Downtown that would meet height requirements. It also sounds like Fayetteville is moving faster with the Master Plan now that they're building 3D models and such. No other city in NWA has gotten that far into the game. I was just saying on another thread how I wished the cities would start building 3D models so people can see what the cities would look like when completed. I'd like to see a regional planning commision put all those models together so everyone could see where NWA is heading as a metro and to see some regional plans to prevent sprawl and make sure each city's developments are enhancing the neighbors developments instead of competing with them.

I apologize if I've been overly critical about Fayetteville. It is the city with the most potential in NWA and I'd like to see it reach that potential while I'm still alive as well as the entire metro as a whole.

The Mr. Tux development is called simply "THE DICKSON". I'm not sure if that is the final name, but it is the official name on all of the images that the city has. Looks like it is indeed going to be 6 stories, mostly residential and possibly some office space, with the ground floor for parking. I didn't hear any details on how many units, sizes etc, but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing some more information on the project in the papers in the near future. I get the idea that because of the small lot size and because it apparently meets all current and possible future zoning requirements that The Dickson may get to proceed with merely administrative approval from the city. I'm looking at the images of 'The Dickson' right now and it looks great--it still doesn't seem possible to make it all fit on that tiny little lot, though.

The images of 'The Dickson' were prominently displayed tonight at the Downtown Master Plan Meeting along with renderings for Renaissance, Divinity, Legacy and Underwood. I must say, seeing them all displayed at the same time...wow....that's a pretty impressive collection of major developments slated for downtown Fayetteville in the immediate future. It was also pretty cool to see the 3D models of what Downtown and Dickson will look like after these projects are complete. They were also able to show what Downtown Fayetteville would look like if it were to develop according to the proposed Master Plan and I must say again--very impressive. Despite what some members of this forum might lead you to believe, Downtown Fayetteville is literally on the verge of a period of explosive growth and development. These projects, along with many others that are rumored or in the works are going to dramatically transform the entire area and give it a decidedly more urban feel. Very exciting times ahead for Downtown/Dickson!

Where exactly is "the dickson" going to be located?

Where exactly is "the dickson" going to be located?

Believe it or not, it's footprint will be the small lot that has the existing Mr. Tux building on it right now. It is immediately in front of the Campus Bookstore (actually sits in the Campus Bookstore parking lot), and across Dickson Street from the new Underwood Lofts development. It sits at the Northwest corner of the Dickson-Gregg Street intersection. It looks like a great development, but it still doesn't seem possible to fit a six story structure on a lot that appears to be about 75'X75' at the most.

Looks like I really missed out a lot in this topic while I was gone. Since I've been out of the loop, can't the Barber Group try altering their plans again and submit them? Would the new plans have to then follow the new building codes the city implemented since the whole Divinity issue started?

Looks like I really missed out a lot in this topic while I was gone. Since I've been out of the loop, can't the Barber Group try altering their plans again and submit them? Would the new plans have to then follow the new building codes the city implemented since the whole Divinity issue started?

It sounds like the Barber Group is done with redesigns having done at least 3 (as well as purchasing an additional lot for parking) to try and please the Planning Commission--and I can't say that I blame them. Now it will be up to the Fayetteville City Council who will hear the appeal this thursday night. If the Council should deny the project, look for this to wind up in court immediately in what will be a very expensive (and losing) battle for the City of Fayetteville. There is also the potential that a lawsuit could result in something more like the original project rather than this scaled back version. I'd be willing to bet that Divinity passes the Council on Thursday, after a lengthy and heated debate, of course.

It sounds like the Barber Group is done with redesigns having done at least 3 (as well as purchasing an additional lot for parking) to try and please the Planning Commission--and I can't say that I blame them. Now it will be up to the Fayetteville City Council who will hear the appeal this thursday night. If the Council should deny the project, look for this to wind up in court immediately in what will be a very expensive (and losing) battle for the City of Fayetteville. There is also the potential that a lawsuit could result in something more like the original project rather than this scaled back version. I'd be willing to bet that Divinity passes the Council on Thursday, after a lengthy and heated debate, of course.

Okay that explains a little that I've been hearing since I've gotten back. So much to catch up on. :lol: Sounds like this could end up putting the Mayor in a similar situation like Hanna was in.

Welcome to the forum info2. Let us know if you need anymore help trying to get some pics uploaded. I wasn't around to see any of the pics, so I'm curious to see what the current rendition looks like. Perhaps I should contact the barber Group again and see if they'll send me some more nice renderings.

Thanks for the pic guys. I guess I misunderstood, I thought this was going to be the newest rendition for the Divinity. I think the dsign is interesting as well. Although I can already see people complaining about it not fitting in any more than the Divinity Building. I won't be surprised to see some changes made before it's approved. Although it's also good to keep in mind this will be very close to being just across the street from the Lofts at Underwood Plaza.

Archived