The Dickson

OnDickson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pic guys. I guess I misunderstood, I thought this was going to be the newest rendition for the Divinity. I think the dsign is interesting as well. Although I can already see people complaining about it not fitting in any more than the Divinity Building. I won't be surprised to see some changes made before it's approved. Although it's also good to keep in mind this will be very close to being just across the street from the Lofts at Underwood Plaza.

I hate to be whiny but I have to say that's my issue with it- it doesn't fit. You can build buildings that fit - there's a great example right up the street in 3 Sisters. If you really want to go big go with a look like the Arkansas Capitol Commerce Center or First Security Center in Little Rock, scaled down versions of those buildings with red-brick traditional facades would fit well into that streetscape. I'm not sure the building wouldn't fit fine if all of the glass on the front was made to look the same as it appears the sides and back have with lots of brick.

It's a very cool building design, I just think it doesn't integrate well into Dickson.

This is exactly the kind of development I'd like to see more of in Downtowns of NWA. Nice Mid-Rise Mixed use projects.

I completely agree. This is a nice building, I just see it as more Benton County than Dickson St. Dickson's running out of room and we'll have to see more mid-rise development there, I'd just like to see it match what's already there as much as possible.

I completely agree. This is a nice building, I just see it as more Benton County than Dickson St. Dickson's running out of room and we'll have to see more mid-rise development there, I'd just like to see it match what's already there as much as possible.

I certainly can see everyone's concerns about it. I like it but will also admit I don't know how well it fits into Dickson St. I'm sure there are some other areas in Fayetteville that would be a better fit than Dickson. I'd really like to see something like this on College Ave near the Dickson St area. But like I said I bet this ends up getting redesigned after people pick it apart like they did the Divinity. It could end up with a different look in the end.

Yes, very interesting. I can't believe that is all within that Mr. Tux lot.

You can't see it in the rendering, but I agree with Aporkalypse-- imagine this near the UARK bowl building and the future Underwoods lofts. Contrasting styles it seems.

One other thing I'm wondering-- what are those lines about? Perhaps those future power lines that were talked about in the news several months ago?

Yes, very interesting. I can't believe that is all within that Mr. Tux lot.

You can't see it in the rendering, but I agree with Aporkalypse-- imagine this near the UARK bowl building and the future Underwoods lofts. Contrasting styles it seems.

One other thing I'm wondering-- what are those lines about? Perhaps those future power lines that were talked about in the news several months ago?

I was too busy looking at the building to notice. Looks like they even included the future power lines. Although the lower ones are the actual ones that already exist there.

I think the architect actually considered the power lines into the design of The Dickson. The design actually interacts with the power lines. Imagine a red brick building in front of those power lines. Not pretty. I think this current design is great, but I would go gold glass and oak railing instead of the black glass and metallic railing.

I certainly can see everyone's concerns about it. I like it but will also admit I don't know how well it fits into Dickson St. I'm sure there are some other areas in Fayetteville that would be a better fit than Dickson. I'd really like to see something like this on College Ave near the Dickson St area. But like I said I bet this ends up getting redesigned after people pick it apart like they did the Divinity. It could end up with a different look in the end.

Is anyone even going to get a chance to pick it apart? They said they have already changed the plans twice. It sounded to me like this was the final compromise. Its at 6 stories and I'm pretty sure they stayed within the development code with the second conception. Being under 1 acre pretty much wrapped it up for them I was told.

Here's some more renders of The Dickson courtesy info2. These really show a lot of neat aspects of the design and how the ground level will play an important role in the design. Notice the building is actually has the same red bricks and tan mortar that the Three Sisters Building has! I'm sure once all the final touches are added it'll blend onto Dickson Street just as easily as the Three Sisters.

183191663_a951d44d90_o.jpg

183191661_5e883b0739_o.jpg

183191662_0b1847a135_o.jpg

While looking at the new picks (thanks again info2) I found myself thinking like probably many of those who oppose projects like Divinity-- compatibility with the existing area and losing that small-town feel. I guess I don't have that great of imagination, and I know things change, but I still have a hard time imagining that next to the college book stores, George's, etc. Most likely that's just because I used to walk by there every day for a number of years while in college. I'm sure it'll look better in person than in a rendering.

BTW, with the new angles showing the red brick side, it rather reminds me of a new college dorm/apartment. Maybe that was the point on the W and N sides (I bet the views from the glass S and E sides, across Dickson St and the valley would be great).

While looking at the new picks (thanks again info2) I found myself thinking like probably many of those who oppose projects like Divinity-- compatibility with the existing area and losing that small-town feel. I guess I don't have that great of imagination, and I know things change, but I still have a hard time imagining that next to the college book stores, George's, etc. Most likely that's just because I used to walk by there every day for a number of years while in college. I'm sure it'll look better in person than in a rendering.

BTW, with the new angles showing the red brick side, it rather reminds me of a new college dorm/apartment. Maybe that was the point on the W and N sides (I bet the views from the glass S and E sides, across Dickson St and the valley would be great).

You know if this keeps up with all this new development this look could end up being the 'look' of Dickson in the near future. :lol: As I said earlier I sorta expect that there will be some changes made before it's all said and done. I'm just curious if there will be a big public outcry agaisnt this building as well. Will the opponents keep arguing against every new development along Dickson, or will they eventually realize that this seems to be the way things are going and give up?

Okay after doing some research I think I managed to find the answer for myself. Looks like Collins Haynes is the owner of the land. He apparently is also the one doing Springwoods here in Fayetteville. Sounds like initially the plan called for an even taller building but then he found out the city had passed the building height ordinance. Although even if they hadn't imagine the outcry if it had been taller. I haven't been able to find any website yet though. Doing searches on the words Dickson and development pulls up a lot of stuff, imagine that. :lol:

Okay after doing some research I think I managed to find the answer for myself. Looks like Collins Haynes is the owner of the land. He apparently is also the one doing Springwoods here in Fayetteville. Sounds like initially the plan called for an even taller building but then he found out the city had passed the building height ordinance. Although even if they hadn't imagine the outcry if it had been taller. I haven't been able to find any website yet though. Doing searches on the words Dickson and development pulls up a lot of stuff, imagine that. :lol:

Yeah, I tried to find a page for the developer but could find nothing productive. They are doing quite a few pojects throughout NWA. But in Fayetteville the Springwoods and Dickson project are the largest that I have heard of.

Collin Hayes is also building the metropark development in Rogers which has a Toyota Dealership along with three other Car Dealerships.

Yeah I noticed he seems to be doing stuff in Rogers as well. But I haven't had any luck finding a website. Maybe he doesn't have one.

Yeah I noticed he seems to be doing stuff in Rogers as well. But I haven't had any luck finding a website. Maybe he doesn't have one.

Damn that was tough... but here's www.HaynesLimited.com. The official website of Collins Haynes architecture firm Haynes & Associates, Ltd. :D

Unforunately all my hard work finding their website was in vain... their website sucks! There's no projects info or anything except a list of their clients. Of course quite a few names will be recognized from all over NWA.

Damn that was tough... but here's www.HaynesLimited.com. The official website of Collins Haynes architecture firm Haynes & Associates, Ltd. :D

Unforunately all my hard work finding their website was in vain... their website sucks! There's no projects info or anything except a list of their clients. Of course quite a few names will be recognized from all over NWA.

Yeah I was afraid that once it was found it wouldn't have much useful info. But hey you did find it. :D I'd given up on it.

• 1 month later...

A small change to the Dickson coming through the PC tonight. It is on consent so it should have no problem passing. But there is a floor plan of the 1st floor of the building. This going through makes it one step closer to being built.

Here is the link:The Dickson

I had forgotten about the name. Thanks for the link too. :D

Archived