Petoskey

ZachariahDaMan

Of all the towns that I was able to visit up north Petoskey seemed to "feel" the most urban. Downtown was certainly bigger then the other towns I visited (Gaylord, Grayling, Charlevoix, East Jordan) and the buildings seemed older and more historic. There was parking meters everywhere there. If I were to live in a town up north Petoskey would definately be my first choice.

100_0237.jpg

100_0236.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0239.jpg

100_0242.jpg

100_0240.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0243.jpg

100_0244.jpg

100_0245.jpg

100_0246.jpg

100_0247.jpg

100_0248.jpg

100_0249.jpg

100_0250.jpg

100_0251.jpg

100_0252.jpg

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

100_0257.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0259.jpg

100_0260.jpg

100_0261.jpg

100_0262.jpg

100_0263.jpg

100_0264.jpg

100_0265.jpg

100_0266.jpg

100_0267.jpg

100_0268.jpg

100_0269.jpg

100_0270.jpg

100_0271.jpg

100_0272.jpg

100_0273.jpg

100_0274.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petoskey sure is great. I use to drive in there almost every Saturday during the winter after skiing at Boyne Highlands (which you can see along with Nubs Nob across the bay).

Did you get down by the Bear River and the harborfront? Also, a nice place to check out the next time you are in the area is Bay View, the historic charm along the east bay, and Bay Harbor, the modern elegance of the west bay.

Did you get down by the Bear River and the harborfront? Also, a nice place to check out the next time you are in the area is Bay View, the historic charm along the east bay, and Bay Harbor, the modern elegance of the west bay.

I wasn't able to go to any of those places. We just walked around downtown for a bit, found somewhere to eat and left. I'll have to check those places out next time I go up north.

I don't remember the name of the place, be we saw a great Irish singer in a pub in the basement of the Perry Hotel about 5 or 6 years ago. The crowd was just wild singing along, like a real Irish pub. We were the only ones who didn't know the words. :blush: but still, some good craic!

Another great Michigan town!

Petoskey sure is great. I use to drive in there almost every Saturday during the winter after skiing at Boyne Highlands (which you can see along with Nubs Nob across the bay).

A few pictures of the Bear river area and the waterfront from last year.

PetoskeyEmmetCounty001.jpg

PetoskeyEmmetCounty060.jpg

PetoskeyEmmetCounty061.jpg

PetoskeyEmmetCounty063.jpg

PetoskeyEmmetCounty067.jpg

Harbor Springs from the Bayview part of the Petoskey area.

PetoskeyEmmetCounty054.jpg

The beach at Young State Park between Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

PetoskeyEmmetCounty057.jpg

In the middle of the picture is the Hampton Inn and some condos alongside US131 heading South out of Petoskey.

PetoskeyEmmetCounty059.jpg

Beyond Harbor Springs and out into Lake Michigan

PetoskeyEmmetCounty066.jpg

The lighthouse where the Bear River runs into Little Traverse Bay.

PetoskeyEmmetCounty070.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my wife and I stayed in a B&B there, which we are convinced to this day was haunted. It was strange because the walls of the house had no insulation and were one layer of plank board, which is partly the reason the homes are only open in the Summer. I don't even think the house we were in had a furnace. I couldn't believe it could be habitable.

More info HERE. Actually it's Methodist.

Yes, my wife and I stayed in a B&B there, which we are convinced to this day was haunted. It was strange because the walls of the house had no insulation and were one layer of plank board, which is partly the reason the homes are only open in the Summer. I don't even think the house we were in had a furnace. I couldn't believe it could be habitable.

More info HERE. Actually it's Methodist.

I always get those Methodists and Baptists confused. :blush:

I'm from Petoskey originally. I believe Bay View was actually larger and more important than Petoskey for a while. Bay View used to be a major cultural center in Michigan (and still is, but not to the same extent). They've had presidential candidates speak there, famour musicians, and just about anything else you can think of. A good friend of mine did a lot of research on it for a school paper back in college. Bay View has it's own library with all kinds of historical information about the area, so I think that made his research easy.

-nb

Archived