Downtown Memphis Pics

Fellowmann20

Here are some pics of downtown from different vantage points including: Poplar Ave, Various spots along 2nd St, Peabody Place at Hampton Inn parking garage, South Front St, and Vance Park. Some of these pics where taken inside a vehicle so there may be some reflections of something. Hope you like them! Enjoy!!! :D

Heres a shot from Poplar Ave. I always liked the back of downtown as much as the front.

1c.jpg

Theres 201 Poplar(for anyone not from here its the slammer) and the bridge in the back.

13c.jpg

Heres a nice church. Its the first of some denomination(which I forgot) in Memphis.

2c.jpg

Heres the Shelby County Administrative Building at the Civic Center. I always loved the architecture of those buildings.

3c.jpg

I thought this was pretty cool. :shades:

4c.jpg

The two spires of Memphis look pretty good together.

7c.jpg

Heres the Goodwyn Building. I think its nearing completion on being renovated. I saw the little parking garage they made for it.

5c.jpg

So this is why they changed the name to Suntrust! :rofl:

6c.jpg

Heres the Westin being constructed. I always like when theres a crane downtown.

8c.jpg

The other crane(I like the first one better).

9c.jpg

The lovely FedEx Forum with a floor of its parking garage missing.

10c.jpg

Heres where all the people at MLGW work. I like the architecture.

11c.jpg

Beale Street shot. There was a band playing down there and they were great.

12c.jpg

I always like the Peabody Place Tower, but instead of 15 floors they should have made it 25.

14c.jpg

Looking South down Front St.

15c.jpg

Looking North down Front St. on the right side of the street.

19c.jpg

Looking North down Front St. on the left side of the street.

20c.jpg

The Hernando Desoto Bridge with a sculpture in Vance Park.

16c.jpg

The Morgan Keagan Tower looks real cool here.

18c.jpg

I saved the best for last and here it is(well atleast I thought it was the best).

17c.jpg

Well there you go, hoped you liked them! Feel free to post any comments. :thumbsup:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent pix FMan20. You beat me to the Westin pix. Your Front St. pictures near Gus' Chicken remind me of two or three shots one can get of downtown Memphis that really makes the downtown area look bigger and denser than it really is.

If you head north of Gus' on Front to a spot abeam MLGW HQ, you're in a low spot looking up toward downtown and the picture you can get is pretty impressive. There is the same effect if you cut over to Main.

Another impressive downtown shot can be taken near the corner of Danny Thomas and North Parkway. If you look SW through St. Jude toward downtown, you are on a bit of a high area and it gives the impression of an urban canyon in the distance. You can also get a similar effect on I-40 near Thomas.

A Westin in Memphis!! Who'da thunk it!!

I think its suppose to try and attract NBA teams. Many of the players now stay in the Peabody or somewhere in Tunica. It won't hurt convention goers either. Downtown Memphis isn't like "a bombed out Dresden" like Phil Jackson said.

Does anyone think that the Madison may become a five-star hotel within the next few years? When I go to Border's, I notice in those "Top Exclusive Hotels of the World" magazines that the Madison and that inn over in the Smokies are always the only two hotels from Tennessee that are represented in publications like that...Also, hasn't the Peabody undergone a total renovation or in the process of such? My mother was told that it was because the Madison had stolen the glam status from the Peabody

I am wanting to make a sketch of the Poplar/Whitestation area w. Clark Tower and W'Station Tower in the picture and I was hoping if any of you have any pics so I can draw in a futuristic skyline for that area. I will post it after I am done. Thanx.

I'll go back tomorrow with my camera, but if you ride a bike on the Tour de Wolf bike trail at Shelby Farms, you can take one of the side trails and go up a hill and get a fantastic view of the entire East Memphis skyline...It literally had it all...I saw the Forum building in the Germantown area, the Renaissance Center, the International Paper Towers, the ugly Regions tower, the Crescent Center, Saint Francis hospital, the East Memphis Hilton, Clark Tower, and White Station Tower...it was great! I'll post a pic tomorrow

I'll go back tomorrow with my camera, but if you ride a bike on the Tour de Wolf bike trail at Shelby Farms, you can take one of the side trails and go up a hill and get a fantastic view of the entire East Memphis skyline...It literally had it all...I saw the Forum building in the Germantown area, the Renaissance Center, the International Paper Towers, the ugly Regions tower, the Crescent Center, Saint Francis hospital, the East Memphis Hilton, Clark Tower, and White Station Tower...it was great! I'll post a pic tomorrow

I love the East Memphis Hilton. Right now, i got Clark Tower and Whitestation Tower up along with my fictional tower skying over the Clark Tower. I'm going for density instead of height though. I really wanted a streetlevel view but i have to settle for looking from the Hilton. I'll try and have it done in a week but I work 9.5 hours so i will try and get it done..

Amanda: I have a Clark Tower picture thread that might be some use to you. Its somewhere down the list though. Feel free to use them! :thumbsup:

Thanks. My girlfriend inspired me to draw out my ideas, so i can make us some money in the future.. :) . I found a picture on google but its not streetlevel but it will do.

I think its suppose to try and attract NBA teams. Many of the players now stay in the Peabody or somewhere in Tunica. It won't hurt convention goers either. Downtown Memphis isn't like "a bombed out Dresden" like Phil Jackson said.

I never heard of NBA players staying all the way in Tunica for games at the Forum. I thought they'd stay either at the PEabody or the Madison.

Archived