28 Story Bldg for Bass, Berry?

MidTenn1

I'm getting pissed off as well. -_- Even in the article it doesnt clearly explain why So Bo is not considered to be part of Downtown. Which doesnt make sense to me what so ever.

Even the Hilton, a very nice hotel but looks like it could be 4 to 5 stories taller.

Oh I sorry I forgot, the Hilton the GEC and the Nashville Symphony are not in DOWNTOWN their in SO BO. <_<

On another note, do you all know what the name of that little park between the Symphony, GEC, CMHOF, and the Hilton is called? I've really only called 'Hilton Park' but it seems like it would have another name.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this does, in effect, is preserve 4 buildings I believe. Trail West, Higgins Law Firm bldg, Pesca bldg and the Crab Shack. It landlocks all of the other buildings to the rear, preserving them from being torn down.

I thought the Crab Shack building was being torn down too. ugh, so confused... Isn't Pesca across the street, how does this project "preserve" that?

Pesca has been in two buildings. The former location is across second ave. and is currently seeking a lease tenant or a buyer. The new location is between Past Perfect and Higgins Law Firm.

It is called Hilton Park. And yes, the people at Hilton would love to be about 4-5 floors taller because they could sell the rooms.

Here is my beef: Some people want to build us a nice hotel and some other people want to build us an office building - something that would create jobs and tax revenues. Some people don't want the hotel or office building because they are "too tall" yet these same people haven't done a damn thing to fill in those "precious" lots in their non-expandable CBD. Sounds like some pretty useless and windy people to me. As always.... JMO :)

SG,

Don't worry too much about the CityPaper opinions. You'll just drive yourself crazy. If the paper was mine, I'd be embarrassed more often than not that these folks are using my news vehicle as a sour grapes club booth at Shoney's. Sometimes, I'm surprised when good, well-thought out comments are offered. But, for example, one article to which I responded to communicate my desire for a well-rounded, walkable, balanced SoBro, I was just called an urban-wanna-be-commie idiot. I haven't stopped crying yet. lol.

My recommendation is to sift through and find the occasional good comments, but don't fight them. It's a fraternity of idle hands. Use it for recreation and you'll save yourself an ulcer. Every party needs some clowns. I guess in some circles we're the clowns, but it's our party, right?

Thanks for posting that chris. The posts responding to the editorial make me want to :sick: .

Don't worry, every one of those opinions were completely irrevelant and obviously posted by people who constantly gripe about everything. I pity the poor souls.

I was thinking they wouldn't have the 25k floorplates. I can't imagine what they've come up with on this one. I think it'll be a first of its kind for the city. I hope so anyway.

Driving down Demonbreun, I noticed the elevator shafts to the Hilton's parking garage. I believe the park is called Gateway Commons. There is large lettering to that effect on them.

I was thinking they wouldn't have the 25k floorplates. I can't imagine what they've come up with on this one. I think it'll be a first of its kind for the city. I hope so anyway.

Driving down Demonbreun, I noticed the elevator shafts to the Hilton's parking garage. I believe the park is called Gateway Commons. There is large lettering to that effect on them.

Your probably right Dave, 25k floorplate for their offices would be a bit much. :rolleyes:

This is nothing more than a guess on my part, but I'm expecting this building to have a large floorplate (approx 25,000 St Ft) for five or six floors, and the be set back considerably above that. I'm thinking the upper floors will have no more than 15,000 Sq Ft. Still, a building designed like that would have well over 400,000 Sq Ft. I'm really looking forward to seeing renderings of this building, and I have a gut feeling that it's going to be special.

I'm really looking forward to seeing renderings of this building, and I have a gut feeling that it's going to be special.

I do too, actually. One of the good side-effects of the increasing conviction among Nashville's urban design pros that high-rises are not the ideal development typology is that we are getting better high-rises. As much as I prefer mid-rises, I am very grateful to Giarratana that his skyscrapers have living ground floors and that they address the street. The generous windows are fab, and stingy block detail is better than none at all. I have a feeling that the BBS tower will mark another step back towards the classical, via the increasingly revived Art Deco. Gone are the days when our skyscrapers will have four stories' worth of blank concrete fa

As I walked around downtown yesterday I took some time to briefly survey sobro. I think this building will be good for the area. I am hoping for a great design. I am also willing to embrace a lot of midrise as it will make for such an interesting neighborhood. Does anyone envision this area as artsy or yuppy or what? I am pretty sure the country area will stay in the Broadway/2nd Ave area.

From what I see so far, I'm not too impressed. If you're going to dub a highly anticipated highrise 'The Crown', it better have something impressive sitting on its head. I bet there are many details yet to be released, though, and I look forward to hearing them. It will be interesting to watch this project unfold.

It is small, but here is what we have as far as the rendering

post-4789-1154642912_thumb.jpg

I wish it were bigger and more detailed, but it's clear that this is a huge project. I can't tell enough from the rendering to pass judgement, but the project is bigger than I expected. I was expecting a little slimmer tower with a large base. Is that the Sounds project in the foreground?

I wish it were bigger and more detailed, but it's clear that this is a huge project. I can't tell enough from the rendering to pass judgement, but the project is bigger than I expected. I was expecting a little slimmer tower with a large base. Is that the Sounds project in the foreground?

Yep. I think it is Hank. I'm guessing that is a very rough rendering but what it does tell me is that a 400+ tower in that location will look great in the skyline. I can't wait to see more detail.

Oh yeah, and I wish it were taller. :w00t:

Its really hard to tell about details from this rendering. It is suppose to be around 400 ft tall. William and I discussed the fact that they are going to try a zoning change through the Planning Commission much in the same way Palmer has done for the WES. Richard can correct me if I am wrong but I think they would sidestep BZA. I am not up on the inner workings of Metro.

I have larger images but have no idea how to get them on here

Archived