Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greenville

Most Urbanized States, 1990

12 posts in this topic

I just came across a website that ranks states in terms of urban land use. It is from 1990, and although it is 16 years old, I think it is safe to assume that things couldn't have changed too much since then. Where do you think South Carolina ranked? Just for grins, guess before clicking the link.

http://www.demographia.com/db-landstate-urbansh.htm

What was your prediction? Was it close to where we ranked?

My guess is that we are further up that you'd expect, but no where near the top.

Wow, I had no idea we ranked what we ranked. Ahead of Texas? Who'd have thunk it?

I guessed 21st, so close. I figured we were higher than expected, being a smaller state with metros spread out across it.

Didn't expect NC to be so low

SC doesn't have the largest cities - but, especially compared to other southern states, it is relatively evenly distributed.

Many of the states behind us are far larger, especially the ones in the Mid-West and West. Our small size is a large part of that ranking.

I'm surprised North Carolina finished so far back. I would guess a lot has changed in the last decade though.

I bet NC is way up there now. Alot of small states are higher up too

NC is a big state...east coast wise. Plus most of the population is in the Piedmont area.

Considering SC small size I'd say we would have to be in the top 25 as far as urbanity. Most of the state 3.5 million at that time has to be in the metro areas of the big three.

Can't we be proud of something? Half of the responses have been, "Yeah, but we're a small state" and the like. I understand we aren't as large as Texas, but if you will notice there is not a direct relationship between small state size and high urbanity. Please, let's be proud of something for a change. Excuses can be made regardless of whether you are on top or on bottom, so why don't we take the ranking for what it is? :)

...before i read the site, I'd say SC ranked 40th among the States...(16 years ago...); New Jersey #1...and California (where currently live) must be close behind New Jersey in 3rd place...