Something brewing in Downtown Muskegon....

TigerTown87

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can't be the mall area development because the Parmenter O'toole Building well on the other side of business US-31 from the mall. There isn't much horizontal space near the current building which leads me believe that this development most likely be vertical. I smell a mixed use office building. That's my prediction. An Urban Village has already been chosen for the old mall site. Finally, something getting ready to happen in this town.......

talk about a teaser! Perhaps they are building a an urban village, with a couple mid rises. That would fricken rock for Muskegon. I like Muskegon, I think we are going to continue to see it transition from an old industrial city to a tourist playground.

talk about a teaser! Perhaps they are building a an urban village, with a couple mid rises. That would fricken rock for Muskegon. I like Muskegon, I think we are going to continue to see it transition from an old industrial city to a tourist playground.

From what I hear, that's probably fairly close to the truth. However, I think we'll find "massive" is a gross exageration, although it's undoubtedly significant for that area.

I can see how the TV would get riled up about this, I'm told there is an annoying degree of secrecy.

What a bust. They are building individual condos starting out at $375,000 a piece. What a joke. We already have new huge condo complexes of Balcom Cove and Watermark along the lakefront that are basically empty at around only 15% occupancy. This town is finished. The leadership has no vision. Its a complete joke.

What a bust. They are building individual condos starting out at $375,000 a piece. What a joke. We already have new huge condo complexes of Balcom Cove and Watermark along the lakefront that are basically empty at around only 15% occupancy. This town is finished. The leadership has no vision. Its a complete joke.

<notanonymous>

As someone working on downtown Muskegon development I think you are slightly overstating things. The WaterMark is at a higher rate of occupancy than you suggest having sold over 15 of an initial 53 units totalling $3,000,000 in real estate sales in the last year. And the WaterMark is a very different product than what is proposed for Edison Landing, meaning the two developments are likely to feed off of each other. The condos at Edison Landing are high quality products and will have an interesting alternative energy twist. I read in a media report that they will be LEED certified. It is possible that green energy from the next door MAREC center could be used to power the condos. I am not sure what you mean about no vision, but it takes more than vision to keep moving things forward. You need actual investment and slowly but surely a healthy investment base is being established. This town is not finished. . . . It is just getting started!

</notanonymous>

Well said D-S! You can't get discouraged at every disappointment TigerTown. Shoot, I would have given up on GR long ago. You have to look at how things are progressing over the long term, and I too think Muskegon is slowly gaining steam. In fact, I envy the Muskegon Summer Celebration and the acts they are able to attract.

You have to look at how things are progressing over the long term, and I too think Muskegon is slowly gaining steam.

I also see Muskegon as actually moving quite quickly in terms of re-inventing the city towards a tourist based economy. Honestly, if things go right, they could really hit it out of the park. With the few remaining industrial waterfront sites dissapearing, there is a lot of room to change the outlook.

Honestly, there is a lot to offer in the city and I think that it could really be a great destination.

This (Edison Landing) is the project being discussed, right?

design_sketch.gif

I found this data on their site:

Site Area: 34.2 acres

Zoning: Planned Unit Development

Setbacks: As shown on the site plan

Building Footprint Area: 197,608 sq. feet

Gross Floor Area: 510,648 sq. feet

Office Space: 211,000 sq. feet

Retail Space: 71,500 sq. feet

Residential Units: At least 108 condominium units

Transient Slips: 58

Parking Area: 381,111 sq. feet (1,054 spaces)

Parking Space Size: 9 by 18 feet

Parking Aisle: 24 feet

Common Area: 7 acres

Greenbelt Area: 5 acres

Are there any more detailed renderings showing better the design and height of buildings? I can't even tell how many floors are in them from the rendering above.

This (Edison Landing) is the project being discussed, right?

design_sketch.gif

I found this data on their site:

Site Area: 34.2 acres

Zoning: Planned Unit Development

Setbacks: As shown on the site plan

Building Footprint Area: 197,608 sq. feet

Gross Floor Area: 510,648 sq. feet

Office Space: 211,000 sq. feet

Retail Space: 71,500 sq. feet

Residential Units: At least 108 condominium units

Transient Slips: 58

Parking Area: 381,111 sq. feet (1,054 spaces)

Parking Space Size: 9 by 18 feet

Parking Aisle: 24 feet

Common Area: 7 acres

Greenbelt Area: 5 acres

Are there any more detailed renderings showing better the design and height of buildings? I can't even tell how many floors are in them from the rendering above.

that looks like s***, sorry muskegon hope you like your suburbian condo.

that picture is just a conceptual plan of what the entire Edison Landing area could look like, it's nothing like what it probably will look like when completely built. There are currently two buildings built on the Edison Landing site. The 40 condos that were proposed are on a 5 acre portion of the site which (I believe) is the small portion on the far right of the pic.

that picture is just a conceptual plan of what the entire Edison Landing area could look like, it's nothing like what it probably will look like when completely built. There are currently two buildings built on the Edison Landing site. The 40 condos that were proposed are on a 5 acre portion of the site which (I believe) is the small portion on the far right of the pic.

That is correct Skeetowner. Below are three photos that were included in the press packet and a press release on the project.

vidanovaaerial.gif

vidanovasitemap.gif

vidanovasiterendering.gif

July 13, 2006

For immediate release

$15 million waterfront, eco-friendly residential project to break ground at Edison Landing

Muskegon, Michigan...If proof is needed that downtown Muskegon is coming back to life, it can be found in VidaNova.

VidaNova literally means

Archived