Interested in Moving to Greenville?

hi i'm tommy, i'm disabled in a wheelchair with spinal cord injury and want to move from baltimore to greenville. would like to get condo/ flat downtown...........any words of wisdom? i visited in may but spent most time downtown. looked at courthouse condos and road past brio. realtors don't tell you better or worse areas to buy, they just want to sell...i'm looking to move soon, thanks

There are a few new condo developments currently under construction or recently finished. We have threads for several of these projects and others in downtown, but if you need more info, just ask. I suggest you check out the following locations:

• The Edge on North Main

A couple sites to help:

Coldwell Banker Caine

West Park and Townes

The City of Greenville - Apts/Condos

Edited by Skyliner

hi i'm tommy, i'm disabled in a wheelchair with spinal cord injury and want to move from baltimore to greenville. would like to get condo/ flat downtown...........any words of wisdom? i visited in may but spent most time downtown. looked at courthouse condos and road past brio. realtors don't tell you better or worse areas to buy, they just want to sell...i'm looking to move soon, thanks

By asking a Real Estate Agent to tell you which areas are better than others or safer than others, etc. you could possibily be asking them to brake the law and could be putting them in jeopardy of loosing the license. Yes, they want to sell things, but they also want to keep their job, becuase of certain laws in place and how they have been interpreted agents need to be very carefeul about what information they give out in that respect. That type of research should be done on your own, not through your agent.

You can also work with a buyer's broker. Unlike a real estate agent, who is working for the seller, a buyer's broker is bound by contract to work for you. My family has used one in Greenville, and we were very pleased with the decision, but I don't know if I am allowed to specifically post her name. Feel free to PM me if you would like her contact info.

P.S. I am sure you will miss Charm City, but Greenville will be worth it!

There are a few new condo developments currently under construction or recently finished. We have threads for several of these projects and others in downtown, but if you need more info, just ask. I suggest you check out the following locations:
  • The Edge on North Main

A couple sites to help:

Coldwell Banker Caine

West Park and Townes

The City of Greenville - Apts/Condos

One of my dad's best friends lives in the Bookends on the fifth floor. If I ever go there, i'll try to get some pics for you guys.

I would recommend getting a buyer's agent, esp. since you are not from the area. Get references, as all agents do not work the same. Find someone who fits with you as well. Some agents will have your best interest in mind, and some will be all about the commission.

Personally, I would rent first and get to know the area. Then buy.

Edited by Chickenwing

I would recommend getting a buyer's agent, esp. since you are not from the area. Get references, as all agents do not work the same. Find someone who fits with you as well. Some agents will have your best interest in mind, and some will be all about the commission.

Personally, I would rent first and get to know the area. Then buy.

I second that, because once you move here you are bound to see areas that you did not know about when looking for the house and you might end up feeling like you didn't make the best choice.

One only has to look at a map to see that Greenville is squarely in the Bible Belt.

I'm curious to know if diversity is welcome in Greenville. Being an urban area lends hope that the city's social fabric isn't one dimensional. Is being gay, an artist, a non-christian, a nonconformist, etc "okay" in Greenville?

One only has to look at a map to see that Greenville is squarely in the Bible Belt.

I'm curious to know if diversity is welcome in Greenville. Being an urban area lends hope that the city's social fabric isn't one dimensional. Is being gay, an artist, a non-christian, a nonconformist, etc "okay" in Greenville?

The inevitable question from "outsiders." :lol: I'll just say you can put that fear to rest, my friend. Greenville is a welcome home to people of every stripe. Believe me, there is a group for everyone here, but I find most people get along easily with people of other stripes. Actually, I dare say Greenville is more welcome and diverse than many cities in this nation. The Greenville area has the highest per capita of international investment in the U.S. You can expect to hear and see people from all over the World in just one walk along Main Street. :shades:

It's not perfect, but it may be as close as I've ever seen. ;)

Edited by Skyliner

I will second that. I have lived in Greenville, Charleston, and Washington, DC, and spent summers living in Boston and Baltimore, and based on my experience Greenville is just as tolerant and welcoming as any of the others (and in a few cases, clearly moreso). As Skyliner said, you will see people of many different backgrounds in Greenville and likely hear at least 1 or 2 foreign languages being spoken after only a few minutes of walking around downtown.

While many faiths are represented in Greenville, a majority are Christians (as is the case in most of the country). Do not make the mistake of assuming that Christian equals a lack of tolerance or open-mindedness. Most people in Greenville have seen enough of the world - via traveling/living other places, and as a result of being exposed to the many different people who are in Greenville - to be open-minded. On top of that, people in Greenville tend to be very hospitable and welcoming. Perhaps that is why so many international companies have chosen to invest in Greenville. :thumbsup:

I will second that. I have lived in Greenville, Charleston, and Washington, DC, and spent summers living in Boston and Baltimore, and based on my experience Greenville is just as tolerant and welcoming as any of the others (and in a few cases, clearly moreso). As Skyliner said, you will see people of many different backgrounds in Greenville and likely hear at least 1 or 2 foreign languages being spoken after only a few minutes of walking around downtown.

While many faiths are represented in Greenville, a majority are Christians (as is the case in most of the country). Do not make the mistake of assuming that Christian equals a lack of tolerance or open-mindedness. Most people in Greenville have seen enough of the world - via traveling/living other places, and as a result of being exposed to the many different people who are in Greenville - to be open-minded. On top of that, people in Greenville tend to be very hospitable and welcoming. Perhaps that is why so many international companies have chosen to invest in Greenville. :thumbsup:

hey greenville, i tried to pm you but had trouble. here is my cell, it would be nice to speak with someone about greenville, my typing is slow and frustrating. 410 608 2015

hey greenville, i tried to pm you but had trouble. here is my cell, it would be nice to speak with someone about greenville, my typing is slow and frustrating. 410 608 2015

Hi thomas,

My schedule is pretty hectic (I am working long and crazy hours at times), and am not sure when I will have time to talk by phone. I want you to have all of your questions answered, so why don't you send me a PM once you get to 10 posts? I am more than happy to help you, even if it takes me a few days to respond. Thanks for understanding, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Well, I've had a love/hate relationship with Greenville since I got here in the mid-70's. It's more "love" now, though, I have to say. :)

Anywhere you go, you're going to find people with whom these things are not "okay"--but I don't live my life based on their opinions. Personally, I'm a post-Christian agnostic, and hubby is a post-Christian atheist and and "lowbrow" artist. We're both nonconformists (hubby more than I, though) and we're definitely gay-friendly and pagan-friendly. Come on down!

Edited by silverseale

Welcome Loftguys! Great to have youon board! Hope to hear more from you in the future! :D

thanks Skyliner! have enjoyed reading a lot about the development in and around downtown greenville.

we moved to the lofts on mills ave nearly two years ago and haven't regretted it for a second. and with downtown booming in all directions, its only going to get better!

Welcome Loftguys!

I may have met you a while back. You didn't happen to be at a "bad sweater" party back in the winter did you? :D

Well, yes I was. And being gay and "expected" to always dress the best, it would have definitely been to a bad sweater theme party if you saw me with a bad sweater! LOL I would assume we have a mutual friend located in the Lofts?