Interested in Moving to Greenville?

McDaniel Heights is actually condominiums, at 601 Cleveland St, in Greenville. The company that manages the property is the Real Estate Centre, on Augusta St. It's in the historic area, about a block from McDaniel @ Cleveland, and the best part, is that being so close to downtown, it's a minute driving to the new McBee Station with Publix, and you can walk to Cleveland Park. I know that several members of the forum know where this is, and can attest to this being a very nice part of Greenville. I know that several units have been placed on the market for sale, links to realtors deleted

As for Plantations at Haywood, I know the city police officer that lives there, and likewise, that tends to be common place for the strippers and others to get into, being that it is very close to the clubs and bars. I know that the Carlyle is nearby, and that is a VERY high end complex, being gated and CCTV monitored as well. I'm not too familiar with the apartments in Mauldin and Simpsonville, but the best bet for a complex would in Greenville, again if you can afford it, would be either the Carlyle, or the new apartments downtown, either at the McBee Station, or Riverplace.

Edited by Spartan

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

To answer your question, Cheryl - that is why I'm asking for suggestions, so I'll have an idea where to look without wasting my time at other apartment complexes. My boyfriend is from Easley/Greenville and doesn't even know of the "good" apartments, so it is word of mouth, really.

When I moved to the Plantations, I had NO IDEA that there was a strip club right around the corner. It doesn't *seem* to be in a bad area, but gah... I just can't stand hearing about all of the break ins, and reading about the peeping toms they had problems with not too long ago.

When I moved here from CA, I used a moving company to get my stuff out - ABF, or something? It ended up being twice as expensive than expected, unfortunately. We had hired some packers, and they really did a great job which actually saved us some money on the ABF truck - but they were $600 themselves. Crazy.. (but we saved more than $600 from having them pack things the way they did in the truck.) We moved during the middle of a workday, so couldn't reply on having friends help out. Oh well.

I had to have my car shipped too, which was it's own set of troubles. We used a company recommended by ABF (forgot the name, but it is the only one recommended by ABF, I believe), and gah... I paid $900 to have them take THREE WEEKS longer than they said it would take - and then had it sit in Atlanta for a week before they could tell me that they had "no idea" when it could leave that area to get to me? I was paying for a car rental that entire time, so that was pretty ridiculous. My boyfriend ended up going to Atlanta to pick up the car - and then they wanted to charge us extra for him doing that??

Ironically, my car completely broke down three days later, and I had to get a new one. Figures. :P

If I find any apartments I like, I'll write about it here. I'm going to check out the Estates at Bellwood in two weeks - I like that they have two bedroom units with screened in porches available. Screened in porches is a huge reason I went with the Plantations.

If I had more time, I'd look for a house... maybe I could rent one for a while. :P

I want to remind everyone that this thread is intended to provide general locational advice, and other new resident questions. Please do not link to realtor websites or discuss the pricing of specific units/houses etc. This action is a violation UP's rules. If you have any questions feel free to contact me or any of the staff members and we will be glad to clarify.

General discussion of pricing, streets, condo/apt complexes/towers, and neighborhoods is acceptable.

• 1 month later...

^^^Must see areas: downtown, Travelers Rest, northern part of Greenville where Ceasars Head state park is, and everywhere else. The only area I can think of too avoid is the far western part of Greenville County west of St. Francis Hospital. What is your price range, renofergie?

Edited by g-man430

I agree with what others have mentioned, and I also think you should consider the Eastside (Greer, Mauldin, Simpsonville areas). A lot of growth and development is occurring there. It is definitely suburbia, but most of it is very nice suburbia with tons of shopping, dining, and attractions nearby. Please let us know if we can advise you further. I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return home.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

If I find any apartments I like, I'll write about it here. I'm going to check out the Estates at Bellwood in two weeks - I like that they have two bedroom units with screened in porches available. Screened in porches is a huge reason I went with the Plantations.

If I had more time, I'd look for a house... maybe I could rent one for a while. :P

Taylors never gets any love here (unless people are calling that Eastside. Taylors has easy access to most parts of town (including Greer, and downtown Greenville) and housing on this side of town is hceaper than some other areas. Homes in the Pebble Creek/Pebble Valley area are typically from the 80s - but are nice homes. I like Taylors quite a bit.

<Link to closed thread>

Hey blasterjumper,

Welcome to the forum and to Greenville! :thumbsup:

You can ask us any questions you have about the city and we'll do our best to give an accurate answer. As for apartments in the area, I recommend checking out the official City of Greenville website. They have a nice list of places for newcomers.

Again, welcome to the forum!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I'm new to the forum, and will be moving to Greenville at the end of July/beginning of August. I've been looking online for a place to live (unfortunately I won't be able to come to Greenville to tour some of the apartment complexes before the move), and it's obviously hard to tell online which places are of good value. I am looking to rent either a 1bed or 2bed place, possibly even a loft, for approximately $500/month or less. My main stipulation is that I really want to live in downtown within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and shops. I will be working on Augusta Road just to the west of Reedy River Falls Historic Park, and would love to be within walking distance of that as well.

I read the rest of this thread and found some places to check out, but I thought I was post anyways in case anyone had some new suggestions. I am relatively interested in McDaniel Heights, although it is a bit more expensive than I would like and seems a little ways off of the center of downtown and my place of employment.

I'll be moving from Manhattan where everything I want is right at my fingertips so, as I said, I would love to move right into the middle of things to make my relocation less drastic. :)

I appreciate all the help! Your city seems lovely, and I'm very excited about the move!

You are going to have a hard time finding something within walking distance for $500 per month. Augusta Rd is one of the pricier areas into town for residential homes, so I would imagine anything in the rental market would follow suit. You might have to look a little farther out to fit your price range.

Hi folks!

I'm new to the forum, and will be moving to Greenville at the end of July/beginning of August. I've been looking online for a place to live (unfortunately I won't be able to come to Greenville to tour some of the apartment complexes before the move), and it's obviously hard to tell online which places are of good value. I am looking to rent either a 1bed or 2bed place, possibly even a loft, for approximately $500/month or less. My main stipulation is that I really want to live in downtown within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and shops. I will be working on Augusta Road just to the west of Reedy River Falls Historic Park, and would love to be within walking distance of that as well.

I read the rest of this thread and found some places to check out, but I thought I was post anyways in case anyone had some new suggestions. I am relatively interested in McDaniel Heights, although it is a bit more expensive than I would like and seems a little ways off of the center of downtown and my place of employment.

I'll be moving from Manhattan where everything I want is right at my fingertips so, as I said, I would love to move right into the middle of things to make my relocation less drastic. :)

I appreciate all the help! Your city seems lovely, and I'm very excited about the move!

I am relatively interested in McDaniel Heights, although it is a bit more expensive than I would like and seems a little ways off of the center of downtown and my place of employment.

Edited by jarvisj3