Interested in Moving to Greenville?

I have a friend looking into Mulberry at Pinckney. Thought I'd see if anyone on here lives there or has any first-hand knowledge of that area.

I understand it's a redeveloping area, but just wondering about safety factors, etc.

1. What areas besides downtown would you suggest that we see?

2. What is a Greenville fixture that we should visit for lunch? I.e if you were making a day trip where would you want to eat?

3. Where is most of the growth in Greenville? I was in the NorthEast section ( Rutherford rd? ) and it looked like it was missing out on re-vitalization.Also, I did notice there were some abandoned Ingles buildings coming into town on the Poinsett Highway. I believe I have read some complaints in this forum concerning those.

4. Greenville seems to be in a boom right now. When reading this forum I see stories posted all over about companies moving to the area. My question for the locals is this...How do you guys view Greenville's economy? Do you guys feel like it is becoming the future of S.C. ( so to speak )? I know this can sometimes be a negative for natives, but do you feel things are going in the right direction?

5. How is the comute from some of the surrounding towns into the city? Which surrounding towns do you guys think we should see? In Gainesville we lived in the country and in Lexington we live in the city. If we decided to move to more a rural area what areas do you guys like most?

6. How green is Greenville? The color...not green as in energy and stuff. I realize you guys have been in a serious drought and driving through town things looked brown and red ( stains from the clay ). When you guys get normal rain, what does your landscape look like? This may sound like a weird question, but it was a real shock coming from the blue grass. We are real dry here right now, but things still look pretty. Although, we have not had as bad of a drought as the Upstate and NC is having..

7. What section of town ( and they all have them ) is chain restaraunt and mall row? This is not real crucial for us, but we are curious as to where this area is.

8. Also, how are taxes and such there? I pay a city/county occupational tax here and we pay property taxes on our cars. What sort of things tick you all off there?

Anyway, I thank everyone in advance for any answers you can give and we look forward to visiting your town again this next weekend!! Also, if anyone has any question concerning Lexington let me know. As an FWI we have horse racing in town at a beautiful track in October and April. C'mon up!!

I have a friend looking into Mulberry at Pinckney. Thought I'd see if anyone on here lives there or has any first-hand knowledge of that area.

I understand it's a redeveloping area, but just wondering about safety factors, etc.

• 11 years later...

Looks like no one has asked anything in this thread in just about forever but it looks like the best place to state...

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Greenville.  He's a newly-minted psychiatric nurse practitioner and I'm a social worker.  Jobs up here in Asheville where we live just aren't there for him, while I've got a good job at the moment.  He has a good lead on a job in Greenville, but jobs for me don't seem to be there.  

Suggestions?  And, what's it going to be like for an interracial gay couple down there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, hauntedheadnc said:

Looks like no one has asked anything in this thread in just about forever but it looks like the best place to state...

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Greenville.  He's a newly-minted psychiatric nurse practitioner and I'm a social worker.  Jobs up here in Asheville where we live just aren't there for him, while I've got a good job at the moment.  He has a good lead on a job in Greenville, but jobs for me don't seem to be there.  

Suggestions?  And, what's it going to be like for an interracial gay couple down there?

My 14 year old daughter, her mom and stepdad, just moved back to SC from Asheville, this past Tuesday, after living 3 years in a loft apartment next door to the Mast General Store on Biltmore Ave . They are living temporarily in an apartment complex in Greenville, called McBee Station, while the town home they have under contract on the other side of downtown is constructed.  I live in Columbia, which has been considerably less conservative than the upstate during my lifetime. However, I've worked in Greenville for 20 plus years, and took trips there to visit family, and I can, without reservation tell you, Greenville (the city..can't speak for the county) is a fantastic, arts friendly, people friendly, business friendly place, set in a photogenic spot just shy of the mountains. I think you too will love it, as I hope my daughter loves it. It is only 1 hour and 45 min from my house, so a much better drive than Asheville. Its downtown is very clean, and orderly, and the Peace Center is always putting out diverse and impressive offerings. I'd say go for it. Check out Columbia and Charleston, too. All very different places, but all score high on quality of life, in my mind's eye.    

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quite a journey trying to find a house in Greenville... We've found two that were perfect, put an offer in on one but someone with more money wanted it more.  The other one sold before we could even put an offer on it.  Everything else has, for the most part, been a "plynyl" (cheap, plywood and vinyl) box located in an "aggressively suburban" -- as one of my friends described it -- neighborhood where you pay an extra $30 a month so someone can come by twice a day with a ruler to measure the grass and fine you if it's too long.  

Man... What do you have to do to find a good, contemporary house in an area where you can actually enjoy property ownership?  

Edited by hauntedheadnc

1 hour ago, hauntedheadnc said:

It's been quite a journey trying to find a house in Greenville... We've found two that were perfect, put an offer in on one but someone with more money wanted it more.  The other one sold before we could even put an offer on it.  Everything else has, for the most part, been a "plynyl" (cheap, plywood and vinyl) box located in an "aggressively suburban" -- as one of my friends described it -- neighborhood where you pay an extra $30 a month so someone can come by twice a day with a ruler to measure the grass and fine you if it's too long.  

Man... What do you have to do to find a good, contemporary house in an area where you can actually enjoy property ownership?  

Wondering....Are you utilizing a reliable real estate agent?  You need a good one that really knows this area & be a good scout  for you.  Mid-range homes $150-300k are difficult now & probably for a while. You’re competing with apartment dwellers that want the same thing.

Edited by cabelagent

• 2 weeks later...

So... Considering that we're moving to Greenville and hope to close on a house there in September, how might one... well, I hate to bring it up... how might one go about finding a job to pay for said house and move?  Specifically, how would one go about that if they were looking find a job somewhere in the field of social work?  Feel free to PM me, folks, if you have any ideas.  

• 3 weeks later...

If all goes according to plan, my husband and I close on our house on September 4... We'll be living off Tanner Road in that weird, nationless plot of land that says it's Simpsonville, but is actually closer to Mauldin and Greenville proper.  Still looking for work, so if anyone has any leads on where all the cool social workers/case managers hang out these days let me know.

However, I'm also interested in the restaurant scene, supposing this current season of cholera doesn't wipe it out.  When there isn't a plague on, we love to eat out and we love ethnic cuisine.  Any good Korean places, sushi, Thai, etc on that side of town?  Is there an Ethiopian place in Greenville?  Latin food?  

On another note, I've lived in WNC my entire forty years on this planet and the thought of moving anywhere else is just (expletive) terrifying, even as I convince my friends that the state line is more just a psychological boundary, and I'm going to be living one county south of the one where I grew up whereas now I live one county north of there.  Privately though, I'm just a storm of inner turmoil.  I need a socially-distanced hug.  

Edited by hauntedheadnc

• 3 weeks later...

Welp... We closed on our house yesterday, so we will officially be paying for a house in that weird little dark corner that claims to be Simpsonville, but is right by Mauldin and Greenville proper, forever.  

Yay!

Now let's find a job!  Because not having one is really, really stressing me out!  But I keep smiling!  Perhaps too manically!  

Edited by hauntedheadnc
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:45 AM, hauntedheadnc said:

However, I'm also interested in the restaurant scene, supposing this current season of cholera doesn't wipe it out.  When there isn't a plague on, we love to eat out and we love ethnic cuisine.  Any good Korean places, sushi, Thai, etc on that side of town?  Is there an Ethiopian place in Greenville?  Latin food?  

Welcome to town and congrats on your new home! If you like food that you don't get to try often, give Aryana a try for some delightful Afghan options. It's downtown on E Coffee St, a few blocks off of main towards Church. Not sure where they are now on the handling the pandemic, indoor seating was closed for a while, but I'm sure you could carry out and have a nice meal in one of the nearby parks if they haven't reopened the dining room!

On 9/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, hauntedheadnc said:

Welp... We closed on our house yesterday, so we will officially be paying for a house in that weird little dark corner that claims to be Simpsonville, but is right by Mauldin and Greenville proper, forever.  

You can't even claim to be part of that "census-designated place" (CDP) known as Five Forks, the western boundary of which is Hwy. 14. Anyway, welcome to No-Man's-Land.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:30 PM, Skyliner said:

This guy is a total goober. I've seen his videos before. His research is off a bit, citing Spartanburg as the home of the University of South Carolina. However, he "ain't wrong" about Greenville. It is one of the best small cities in the country, as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually headed up there later today, and my daughter and I are having lunch at what might be considered one of the best Middle Eastern eateries in the region- The Pita House. Will be my first visit. Have heard good things. Keep up the good work, Greenville!