Interested in Moving to Greenville?

I don't know if any are on the market currently, but as an option to renting, there is a very similar property at 10 Manly St that has a similar design and can be bought as condo's instead of rented. Those are everything the Davenport are but add the equity of ownership as the icing on the cake. You may have a to walk a little further to downtown, but you are closer to the Bilo Center and the new AWESOME SUPER DUPER TOWER that will SOAR into the upper reaches of the atmosphere at the gateway site any day now. There is a nice little jog to Cleveland park as a shortcut to the west end also from there.

I have been in one. They are pretty nice condos, and the 2 bedroom/2 bath unit I went in had pretty large rooms. The biggest drawbacks that I saw was that you have to share a washer/dryer with your neighbor and parking is pretty limited. Nice common areas and balconies though. Great location too.

We own a unit in the Virginia........

The Virginia has 17 units total, each floor has five different floor plans. The five different floor plans are 1/1, 1/1, 2/1, 2/2, 2/2. The same pattern is repeated on the other two floors. there are two garden 1/1's on the back side of the building.

I would estimate the price range for 1/1 (155K) to the 2/2 (195K). It all depends of the usual items, condition, updates, etc......

It does have the charm a period style place because it was built in 1920. The location is great too. Sometimes we drive to town and walk home in the evening because of wine issues......

In my opinion the parking is not a problem. sometimes you are right outside the door and other times your are three or five car lengths up the street. One of my favorite things, is the ease of getting to Cleveland Park for running which takes me all the to Falls Park.

My two cents.........

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Everyone! I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I have learned a lot about the happenings in Greenville. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

My family( wife and daughter ) and myself are thinking of maybe moving to the Greenville area from Lexington Kentucky. Originally, we are from Gainesville Florida, but we moved to Lexington about two years ago. Lexington is a beautiful place and the blue grass region is gorgeous but we feel we have moved a little too far from our families and my wife does not care for the winters here.Plus, we would like to live in a state that does have a coastline. We feel a little too far North but dont want to go back to Fla.

We have family in Asheville, Morganton NC, Morganton Ga, and some close friends in Athens Ga as well. So we figured Greenville would be a great place that is closer to Florida, and even closer to our families in the towns above. In July, we were visiting in Asheville and made a day trip down to Greenville to check it out. Being that we had our three year old with us, we were not able to make a day of it. We did see the downtown area and it was awesome. We drove around the more historic neighborhoods that surrounded downtown. The downer for us was Googles fault. We made up a map that would take us from Greenville to Taylors ( which I am not sure we saw much of ) to Travellers Rest by the way of some routes that did the town no justice. So, my wife an I want to give it another look over labor day weekend ( our daughter is going to be with her Grandma ) and I have a few questions.

1. What areas besides downtown would you suggest that we see?

2. What is a Greenville fixture that we should visit for lunch? I.e if you were making a day trip where would you want to eat?

3. Where is most of the growth in Greenville? I was in the NorthEast section ( Rutherford rd? ) and it looked like it was missing out on re-vitalization.Also, I did notice there were some abandoned Ingles buildings coming into town on the Poinsett Highway. I believe I have read some complaints in this forum concerning those.

4. Greenville seems to be in a boom right now. When reading this forum I see stories posted all over about companies moving to the area. My question for the locals is this...How do you guys view Greenville's economy? Do you guys feel like it is becoming the future of S.C. ( so to speak )? I know this can sometimes be a negative for natives, but do you feel things are going in the right direction?

5. How is the comute from some of the surrounding towns into the city? Which surrounding towns do you guys think we should see? In Gainesville we lived in the country and in Lexington we live in the city. If we decided to move to more a rural area what areas do you guys like most?

6. How green is Greenville? The color...not green as in energy and stuff. I realize you guys have been in a serious drought and driving through town things looked brown and red ( stains from the clay ). When you guys get normal rain, what does your landscape look like? This may sound like a weird question, but it was a real shock coming from the blue grass. We are real dry here right now, but things still look pretty. Although, we have not had as bad of a drought as the Upstate and NC is having..

7. What section of town ( and they all have them ) is chain restaraunt and mall row? This is not real crucial for us, but we are curious as to where this area is.

8. Also, how are taxes and such there? I pay a city/county occupational tax here and we pay property taxes on our cars. What sort of things tick you all off there?

Anyway, I thank everyone in advance for any answers you can give and we look forward to visiting your town again this next weekend!! Also, if anyone has any question concerning Lexington let me know. As an FWI we have horse racing in town at a beautiful track in October and April. C'mon up!!

Hello Everyone! I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I have learned a lot about the happenings in Greenville. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

My family( wife and daughter ) and myself are thinking of maybe moving to the Greenville area from Lexington Kentucky. Originally, we are from Gainesville Florida, but we moved to Lexington about two years ago. Lexington is a beautiful place and the blue grass region is gorgeous but we feel we have moved a little too far from our families and my wife does not care for the winters here.Plus, we would like to live in a state that does have a coastline. We feel a little too far North but dont want to go back to Fla.

We have family in Asheville, Morganton NC, Morganton Ga, and some close friends in Athens Ga as well. So we figured Greenville would be a great place that is closer to Florida, and even closer to our families in the towns above. In July, we were visiting in Asheville and made a day trip down to Greenville to check it out. Being that we had our three year old with us, we were not able to make a day of it. We did see the downtown area and it was awesome. We drove around the more historic neighborhoods that surrounded downtown. The downer for us was Googles fault. We made up a map that would take us from Greenville to Taylors ( which I am not sure we saw much of ) to Travellers Rest by the way of some routes that did the town no justice. So, my wife an I want to give it another look over labor day weekend ( our daughter is going to be with her Grandma ) and I have a few questions.

2. What is a Greenville fixture that we should visit for lunch? I.e if you were making a day trip where would you want to eat?

3. Where is most of the growth in Greenville? I was in the NorthEast section ( Rutherford rd? ) and it looked like it was missing out on re-vitalization.Also, I did notice there were some abandoned Ingles buildings coming into town on the Poinsett Highway. I believe I have read some complaints in this forum concerning those.

4. Greenville seems to be in a boom right now. When reading this forum I see stories posted all over about companies moving to the area. My question for the locals is this...How do you guys view Greenville's economy? Do you guys feel like it is becoming the future of S.C. ( so to speak )? I know this can sometimes be a negative for natives, but do you feel things are going in the right direction?

5. How is the comute from some of the surrounding towns into the city? Which surrounding towns do you guys think we should see? In Gainesville we lived in the country and in Lexington we live in the city. If we decided to move to more a rural area what areas do you guys like most?

6. How green is Greenville? The color...not green as in energy and stuff. I realize you guys have been in a serious drought and driving through town things looked brown and red ( stains from the clay ). When you guys get normal rain, what does your landscape look like? This may sound like a weird question, but it was a real shock coming from the blue grass. We are real dry here right now, but things still look pretty. Although, we have not had as bad of a drought as the Upstate and NC is having..

7. What section of town ( and they all have them ) is chain restaraunt and mall row? This is not real crucial for us, but we are curious as to where this area is.

8. Also, how are taxes and such there? I pay a city/county occupational tax here and we pay property taxes on our cars. What sort of things tick you all off there?

Anyway, I thank everyone in advance for any answers you can give and we look forward to visiting your town again this next weekend!! Also, if anyone has any question concerning Lexington let me know. As an FWI we have horse racing in town at a beautiful track in October and April. C'mon up!!

1.) If you want to get a feel for "Greenville Proper" as in the settled part of town that has a higher standard of living look around the Augusta Rd./Cleveland St. Area. Just south and west of downtown. Also drive up to Furman University between Greenville and Travelers Rest. While it is a private university it's "open" and a lot of the locals use it as a park of sorts for walking, etc.

2.) Wow, Lunch in Greenville, that's a pretty tall order and it really depends on what you are looking for. You'll get a good "local flavor" both literally and socially at places like Tommy's Ham house on Rutherford Rd. it's by no means fancy, very "country." Another line of resteraunts are owned by Greek families from a "chain" of burger joints called either the "clock" or Pete's. If fancy is what you are looking for they're is a lot of stuff downtown to chose from.

3.) Most of the "growth" is around Pelham and Woodruff Roads and toward Greer but if you value a more peaceful commute into downtown I would suggest going north towards Travelers Rest. Travelers Rest is set to be the next big area for growth but is still on the calmer side. You can't really judge Travelers Rest by it's "downtown" or going down Highway 25. They are a lot of newer neighborhoods in surround areas but you have to look for them. Downtown T.R. is set however to go through a revitialization soon.

4.) When you hear about Greenville natives keep this in mind. Most of the so called natives (such as myself) are actully the children or grand children of people who moved in from surround rurual areas including N.E. Georgia, The low country and Piedmont of SC during the big textile boom at the beginning of the 20th century. Greenville has always been an bit on the safer side economincally because of it's location and industries that are attracted here. No, conditions are not always perfect but often "better."

5.) I live just north of Greenville in a quasi rural/suburan area and the commute is pretty good but it can be awful around 5pm and lunch time around the Woodruff Road area.

6.) Greenville is fairly Greenville even during times of drought. We can't help the dirt (red clay) we have but it's still green. The closer proximity to the mountains helps both in terms of visuals and weather regulation.

7.) Right now Woodruff Road is pretty much THE resteraunt /Mall road. Although the only main indoor mall is Haywood Mall just north and east of the Woodruff Road area. It's not bad to visit their at certaint times but let's just say I have been tempted to go into road rage when their around noon or 5pm. Highways 291 and 29 (Wade Hampton) is pretty much the "old" resteraunt row and and is coming back to life in some parts.

8.) Yes we pay property taxes on homes and cars. In the city limits of Greenville their is an addition sales tax to support hospitaility stuff. You may either love or hate the following two things that get some people mad; A city smoking ban is all public places. Also their has been some controversies regarding trees and if they should be planted or protected in new developments.

BTW, You talked about going through "Taylors". Taylors actually has different definitions around here. Their is an "old town of Taylors" but for the most part it's just the remains of an old Mill Village. What most people call Taylors is sort of a nebulous area between Greenville and Greer. Sometimes this is called the "Eastside" but some parts of what is know as the "eastside" are not a part of the Taylors mailiing address.

One thing about Greenville I find fascniating is the area around Paris Mountain (a large hill to some people). You can be in a neighborhood that skirts the mountain and you feel you are miles away from anywhere but in reality it's only a few short miles from downtown.

Just to add a couple of comments.

1. If you are coming from Kentucky you might want to take a side trip to Caesars Head. The view is pretty good.

Some other residential areas like Gower Park/Sherwood Forest/ Parkins Mill Rd (between Pleasantburg Dr and Laurens Rd) or Overbrook/East North St/Bob Jones U area are nice middle class type residential neighborhoods in the city that are about 40-60 years old.

You might check out the new Hollingsworth Park that is part of the soon to boom developments there.

Plenty of residential subdivisions in the "Eastside", and near or in Simpsonville or Mauldin. West of Greenville are the old textile mills and mill villages that have seen better days. Going west from the mill villages there is a mixed use zone with some nice new developments as you travel into Pickens County towards Easley and Anderson Co. towards Powdersville.

2. I prefer Henry's for barbeque but others may have different favorites.

I agree with linkerjpatrick about the Paris Mt. area. Nice area with a very different feel. You could try the drive on Altamont Rd over the mountain. My ears usually pop so that qualifies as a mountain and not a large hill to me.

You mentioned Rutherford Rd. That is mainly an industrial/warehouse district by the railroad line. Not representative of most of Greenville. Although when you drive along it you are passing neighborhoods that run the gamut from some of the poorest in town to some of the richest and everything in between. You just have to know which side road to take.

If you have a connection faster than a dialup you might want to look at Google Maps Street View or Microsofts Virtual Earth with the Birdseye View to look some places over before you visit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

http://maps.live.com/#JnJ0cD0lN2UmcnRvcD0wJTdlMA==

Wow! Thanks for the response. I have a few comments:

1. I will check it out. When I was there last I pretty much stayed in the north/north east parts. So, I will check out the south side as well. I hope to see most of the town.

2. How about Barb-b-que? Is there a place that all the locals swear by?

3. Good to hear about Travellers Rest, we were left with a weird impression. We did drive down 25 waiting to see something, but it never came.

4. I am a Software engineer. I hope to see more tech companies come in. I am looking to move in the spring of next year.

6. Good to hear. Hopefully, T.S Faye will give you guys some much needed rain.

8. Bummer on the property taxes on your cars. I was hoping to get away from that. It was a shock coming from Florida where there was no such beast and coming to Kentucky where I had to pay close to $200 every year to get my tag renewed. Oh well.

I hope to drive around Paris mountain as well.

Again thanks for your response. Hopefully some others will chime in as well.

As far as BBQ you'll get as many opinions as there are places. Smokin' Stokes on Augusta St (assuming they are still open they were uh having some financial issue) is AWESOME. There is also a great BBQ place on Orchard Park Dr called We're Pigs. Henry's (as someone else has mentioned) is pretty good as well. I am a software developer as well. What you'll find in Greenville depends upon what language most of your experience is in. IBM and EDS both have some work here. Then if you want pure software development (e.g. products) Benefit Focus and Infor immediately jump to mind. One thing I've noticed (as my area of expertise is Java) is that a lot of the shops in this area are .net based.
Edited by GainesLexNext?

OK - here are my 2 cents.

Q1. What areas besides downtown would you suggest that we see?

A1. You may want to be aware that the U.S. Professional Cycling Championships are Labor Day Weekend in Greenville. Travelers Rest is a very quaint little town and it's convenient to get into DT Greenville from there. If you're interested in TR, just send me a PM and I can discuss my experiences more at length with you.

Q2. What is a Greenville fixture that we should visit for lunch? I.e if you were making a day trip where would you want to eat?

A2. I would recommend Coffee Underground for BRUNCH on a Saturday Morning, myself. If it be BBQ that you want, then I'd put in another vote for Henry's. Unfortunately, Greenville doesn't have a Leonardo's Pizza or a Burrito Bros..

Q3. Where is most of the growth in Greenville? I was in the NorthEast section ( Rutherford rd? ) and it looked like it was missing out on re-vitalization.Also, I did notice there were some abandoned Ingles buildings coming into town on the Poinsett Highway. I believe I have read some complaints in this forum concerning those.

A3. As others have likely pointed out, the growth is on the east side near Woodruff/Pelham/I-85. That's where it's at. "Growth" has been slow to come to the northern end of the county, and I rather liked that...but at the same time, it was frustrating being so far from the shopping, dining, etc. on the other side of town.

Q4. Greenville seems to be in a boom right now. When reading this forum I see stories posted all over about companies moving to the area. My question for the locals is this...How do you guys view Greenville's economy? Do you guys feel like it is becoming the future of S.C. ( so to speak )? I know this can sometimes be a negative for natives, but do you feel things are going in the right direction?

A4. My view is somewhat skewed. I, like you, am in the IT field (Oracle DBA - RAC/HA) and I found it difficult to find work in Greenville (never really needed to, fortunately, but I always kept my eyes open for opportunities - few ever presented themselves). My wife, whom is extremely intelligent and well-spoken and has a strong education to back it up, found it difficult to get her foot even in the door for an interview because she had dedicated 8 years of her life to raising our daughter and son at home.

Q5. How is the comute from some of the surrounding towns into the city? Which surrounding towns do you guys think we should see? In Gainesville we lived in the country and in Lexington we live in the city. If we decided to move to more a rural area what areas do you guys like most?

A5. I personally feel the commute from Travelers Rest into Downtown Greenville is by far the easiest. That's one of the reasons we settled on Travelers Rest.

Q6. How green is Greenville? The color...not green as in energy and stuff. I realize you guys have been in a serious drought and driving through town things looked brown and red ( stains from the clay ). When you guys get normal rain, what does your landscape look like? This may sound like a weird question, but it was a real shock coming from the blue grass. We are real dry here right now, but things still look pretty. Although, we have not had as bad of a drought as the Upstate and NC is having..

A6. Even in the face of a drought, Greenville has remained pretty green. I was surprised to see the leaves on my Poplar tree already turning yellow and dropping when I returend from Colorado, though - due to the drought, of course. Extreme weather conditions (too much rain, too little, etc.) can lead to inconsistent fall colors.

Q7. What section of town ( and they all have them ) is chain restaraunt and mall row? This is not real crucial for us, but we are curious as to where this area is.

A7. Woodruff Road between Laurens and Highway 14, Haywood Road - the East Side where the boom is going on.

Q8. Also, how are taxes and such there? I pay a city/county occupational tax here and we pay property taxes on our cars. What sort of things tick you all off there?

A8. Property taxes are very low in Greenville (and the roads and schools are testament to it). Personal Property Taxes on vehicles exist here, too - but they're not too bad. I'd honestly rather pay higher taxes and have better roads and schools...but that's just me.

I'll have to give another vote for Henry's Smokehouse. I've been to two locations. Wade Hampton and Woodruff/Butler Road. The Wade Hampton near downtown is very much a "hole in the wall" older building with very limited seating but it feels more like a real Bar-B-Q place. I know a lot of companies will also use them to cater for special events. Love their sauce.

Talking about Tech. I am self employed/own my own business. A large chunk of our business is web development but our niche is "new media" with services like podcasting, business blogging and photography for business. We are very active in the Chamber of Commerce and other networking groups. Their is a very large tech related networking group (GSATC) - http://www.gsatc.org where you can connect with other professionals and businesses. Involvement and active participation in those has been crucial to the success of our business. I also belong to another local business networking group called PNC which is similiar but different than the larger BNI group.

Maybe a group of us could meet at Henry's sometime since a lot of us seem to love it!

OK - here are my 2 cents.

Q1. What areas besides downtown would you suggest that we see?

A1. You may want to be aware that the U.S. Professional Cycling Championships are Labor Day Weekend in Greenville. Travelers Rest is a very quaint little town and it's convenient to get into DT Greenville from there. If you're interested in TR, just send me a PM and I can discuss my experiences more at length with you.

Q2. What is a Greenville fixture that we should visit for lunch? I.e if you were making a day trip where would you want to eat?

A2. I would recommend Coffee Underground for BRUNCH on a Saturday Morning, myself. If it be BBQ that you want, then I'd put in another vote for Henry's. Unfortunately, Greenville doesn't have a Leonardo's Pizza or a Burrito Bros..

Q4. Greenville seems to be in a boom right now. When reading this forum I see stories posted all over about companies moving to the area. My question for the locals is this...How do you guys view Greenville's economy? Do you guys feel like it is becoming the future of S.C. ( so to speak )? I know this can sometimes be a negative for natives, but do you feel things are going in the right direction?

A4. My view is somewhat skewed. I, like you, am in the IT field (Oracle DBA - RAC/HA) and I found it difficult to find work in Greenville (never really needed to, fortunately, but I always kept my eyes open for opportunities - few ever presented themselves). My wife, whom is extremely intelligent and well-spoken and has a strong education to back it up, found it difficult to get her foot even in the door for an interview because she had dedicated 8 years of her life to raising our daughter and son at home.

R2. You would be sad to hear that Burrito Bros has been leveled. If you have been there and can picture the corner it was on, the whole corner for almost two blocks in either direction was leveled. They made way for a high scale apartment/condo project that is still dead in the water due to the economy. Of course I have not lived in Gainesville for over two years but I still read the news. It is too bad. As for Leonardo's, I liked the millhopper location the best.

• 2 months later...