American Boomtown

cinco

according to this latest article in newsweek charlotte is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country. the article is on the worlds 10 hottest (dynamic) cities and is a pretty good read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13528949/site/newsweek/

i've lived in charlotte all my life minus a few quests here and there... and i've always been aware of steady growth. but, over the past couple of years and even in the last year i've noticed an acceleration. i kinda thought that my noticing was just a symptom of being addicted to this website... then this past weekend i went to the penguin's annual bb-q. the place was packed and i hardly knew anyone. i've lived in the plaza-midwood area for awhile now and it used to be i couldn't go anywhere in the area without bumping into people i know. so, what are some other unscientific ways you measure our fast growth?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I've noticed the license plate thing. Something's up when you start consistently seeing Arizona, Oregon, Texas, and California. It's highly unscientific, but I figured I'd mention I've noticed it too.

It is rapid and it has increased dramatically in the past year or so. The momentum has been here for a few years, but the acceleration now is unbelievable. I have friends now from all over that are moving here or have moved here. I get asked constantly about Charlotte when I travel, most recently in Miami where I met 2 couples that are moving here.

I wonder if a major part of the current boom is related to the fact that Charlotte escaped a lot of the problems in the last recession. The banks were doing very well due to refinancing and mergers, so locally there wasn't as much of a hit as a lot of other cities took. That might have positioned us very well once the rest of the gears of the economy were moving again.

I have heard a number of people say that once we hit a certain critical mass that we should prepare for a huge population influx. It will all be very interesting to watch in the next few years.

I believe the south in general is attractive because of the relatively low cost of living. We moved to Charlotte due to a job transfer but it was a selection out of various options and Charlotte was touted as a great place for relocated NYers like myself. The ability to get in to the housing market at a relatively low rate was also an incentive. You get more for your money.

In North Carolina you got northerners coming here for the better economy, affordability, and weather. Half-backs coming from Florida. Specifically speaking of Charlotte you have living options that range from true up-and-coming urban to affordable suburban, so the metro area is drawing all kinds of folks.

according to this latest article in newsweek charlotte is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country. the article is on the worlds 10 hottest (dynamic) cities and is a pretty good read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13528949/site/newsweek/

I saw that claim as well (Charlotte being the 2nd fastest growing city in the nation), but how can that be if Raleigh is claiming to be the fastest growing city on the East Coast? Something isn't adding up.

The 2005 Census estimate puts it at ~609K.

Is that with annexations?

When I first saw this posted I looked through that whole feature, looking for Charlotte to be listed as one of the most dynamic cities in the world :P.

I do think the growth we are seeing now will be nothing like what the future will hold (if everything goes reasonably well on the national level), we only need to look to the city down 85 (to the West) to see what the future rate of growth in the region is. When did Atlanta's growth hit critical mass? At what metro population?

Charlotte really is growing fast. I was showing around a few friends from out of town last night in uptown and felt like a tour guide. Every other block I was either saying "And here is where they are building..." or "And here is where they are about to build..." After awhile they were questioning whether or not I was making this stuff up. From TTT, the new WB, The Vue, Ritz Carlton, NHOF, Trademark, Avenue, the arena, the lightrail, etc, they began comparing Charlotte to cities like Chicago. They were even entertained by the notion of a 25 story tower in the little patch of pine straw next to the arena. It brought a sense of Charlotte's arrival to me. At least in the hearts of at least five more people.

Let us all hope that with increased growth comes sensible planning. Atlanta was once a medium sized "boomtown" and I think it "boomed" too fast
Totally agree. I think planning will be extemely important helping Charlotte reach its potential as a city. I really would like to see an expansion of the city center but unfortunately I suspect that a lot of the growth will result in suburban type sprawl. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not well informed on that topic. At some point it would be nice to see retail and business Uptown rather than parking lots.

While I think that sprawl is definately a problem in Charlotte, its a lot better than most other cities.

Unfortunately it appears we are getting both. The urban density, but also the sprawl. At least it isn't like 5 - 10 years ago when it was just the sprawl. I have to admit I never go out there, but there are "good" projects in the 'burbs that have at least a little density and faux town centers. More seem to be coming with townhomes and condos and maybe a few mini-towers further out....

Just imagine all the cranes that are going to be around Uptown for the next several years. It might end up looking like an American version of Dubai's crane-littered skyline.

When the critical mass occurs, and an even larger influx of population occurs, hopefully Charlotte will attract plenty of artists, musicians, and generally creative peoples.

A good shot of diversity will go a long long way.

I moved to Charlotte in 2002 ... at that time, I thought the city felt "falsely large".

Yeah there were towers on Tryon and College, and a football stadium, but the core really didn't feel all that big. I remember thunderstorms would kick up big dust clouds and blow them down Brevard street.

But the Arena, Courtside, ImaginOn have helped spread the center away from College a bit. We also have the new courthouse... 230 S Tryon is finishing up, Trademark and Avenue are on the rise. It's beginning to seem -- less like a city that you need to convince yourself is large. The mass of the buildings have a presence to say it for you.

We mainly need Levine to finally do something with those grassy lots.

Hey Krazy can you give me an example of quality sprawl?

hopefully Charlotte will attract plenty of artists, musicians, and generally creative peoples.

A good shot of diversity will go a long long way.

In regards to hip hop music, Charlotte's local artists have been gaining some popularity in the underground circuits. Might not be everyone's tastes but an interesting development nonetheless.

As far as ethnic influences on the area, I'd love to see a stronger West Indian cultural presence in Charlotte being of West Indian heritage myself. It'd be nice to participate in a yearly carnival and juve. From what I know there isn't one here.

From some of the various larger city transplants I know there's talk of needing more options for establishments that cater to the "grown & sexy" crowd.

Archived