Thirteen 21 Lofts (formerly Vsion, the Dakota)

GaryJ

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

While the redevelopment of this building will no longer be called "Vsion", The State reports tonight that Capitol Places will redevelop this building as "The Dakota", a highrise residence for seniors.

The Dakota

Glad it will be renovated still--the rendering looks decent. Seniors living downtown is fine with me of course, too. The only thing I don't like is the name, again ("Vsion" was terrible, too, IMO): "The Dakota"? What does this have to do with the Dakotas? Is this an attempt to sound upscale like the Dakota Apts. in Manhattan with its Central Park view?

A better name would've been "The Madeline" or "St. Jeffrey Place". Much more appropriate, IMO.

The color scheme is a bit too drab for me--I actually liked the proposed renovation for Vsion better as it was more contemporary--but the ground floor looks OK. It would be nice if they'd use real brick.

That whole block could use new investment.

I'm with you on the name, digital_sandlapper, and it looks like you were right about its inspiration: "The development will be named the Dakota, to evoke the legendary building on New York’s Upper West Side that once was home to John Lennon," per the article in the Columbia Business Report. I think "Capitol Places, Senior Edition" would be more appropriate. :)

I suppose the reason I'm not fond of the new look is because I have a local reference. A 13-story building here in uptown Charlotte was renovated into condos about 2 years ago, and I don't really care for the way the exterior turned out. It's too vanilla and suburbanish for my tastes:

Sales_ID495096_3.jpg

I like the look - it is a renovation and not new construction - so i am sure they are limited to what they can do. But I LOVE the thought of Independent Living downtown - near churches, health care, university, and nightlife. Columbia is becoming a retiring haven from the Florida group and these are still somewhat active adults - so it will bring some additional life to that area - JMO

I like the look - it is a renovation and not new construction - so i am sure they are limited to what they can do.

True, but if a vacant office building in Greensboro can go from this

wachovia.jpg

to a condo building that looks like this

Centre%20Pointe%201%20010909.jpg

then I know it's possible for this building. But since this isn't a high-profile project targeting yuppies, I suppose there's no need to really go all out on the exterior. But still, it would be nice to have it jazzed up a bit.

Different strokes, I guess, but I love the new rendering. I thought Vsion was too glassy. This has architectural style and texture. And it looks like it belongs in the downtown of a southern city. Nothing wrong with that.

So will the Tower at Main and Gervais look out of place in downtown?

I prefer the first "this" in Greensboro. Clean, simplistic lines are always tops with me. The second "this" is too busy and glassy.

But it's a condo building now. In its original condition, it would have been much less functional as a residential building. I posted that it as an example to show that just because it's a renovation doesn't mean the architecture has to be drastically constrained.

It's an office building, not a place to live.

But you didn't mention anything about use, only architecture. That's why I asked.

A side-by-side comparison of the Minter building as it currently is and the rendering of what it will become is strikingly impressive to me.

I agree that it's an improvement. I just think the design could be better. It doesn't necessarily have to be glassy to be better.

The design looks a little old and bland to me, but it's still an improvement. The front looks much better than the sides, which need more detailing IMO. As for seniors living there, I think it's good to have a mix of people downtown.

Archived