Thirteen 21 Lofts (formerly Vsion, the Dakota)

GaryJ

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I with Corgi on this one. I like the look that doesn't stray to far from today's look. Plus, they are marketting it to seniors, so steel and glass may not be percieved as a good thing. Rarely is 'senior living' seen with 'edgy architecture.'

Right; I think that's the only thing that prevented the developers from going all out on the renovation of the exterior, and that's understandable.

The more I study the rendering the more I love it. It looks worthy of historic downtown Charleston or Savannah.

This could only get approved in downtown Charleston or Savannah if quality materials are used, and not EIFS and fake stucco. I'm sure some of that will be involved, but I'm at least hoping that real brick will be used for the exterior of the ground floor.

The color scheme is a bit too drab for me--I actually liked the proposed renovation for Vsion better as it was more contemporary--but the ground floor looks OK. It would be nice if they'd use real brick.

I think thats what I like about it. Its not trying to stand out. Its good to have buildings that just blend in.

I rode by there on my way home from work. You'll be surprised when you see the building again how much is already there architecturally. It's good old restrained southern architecture with subtle accents.

Does anyone have any pictures of this building as it exists today?

They'd have to do more on the front with the column and arch features.

I'm with Krazee on this one. I think the "after" picture in Greensboro (which I see was labelled "Greensboring", lol) is a HUGE improvement over the early 70s urban renewal-slash-Leningrad look of the "before". The current building that will become the Dakota is bland as bland can be, so almost anything will be an improvement. However, the rendering is wretched! I much prefer Krazee's suggestion of "why not look at Greensboro's re-do as inspiration?" I want more of these modern towers, too. (The one on Gervais and Main is not bad.) Bring 'em on!!

Without mulling it over or putting any thought into it, I just find the rendering very pleasing to my eyes. I think it is very handsome and looks like a downtown city residential building. I don't find it drab at all.

And I'm not seeing anything in the rendering that tells us the exterior is going to have any stucco as opposed to just paint on the already solid exterior material on the building.

And besides that, I have nothing against stucco.

^If they use quality materials, it will. But I have a feeling it will be the standard cheap fake stucco and EIFS.

And I want to make it a point that I'm not disparaging the developers here. Prioreschi in particular has done quality renovations of existing buildings on Main Street, so we clearly know what he's capable of. But in this case, I think it's just a case of market forces at work. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Thanks for providing those shots, Brasil.

I wonder if they got any interior work done associated with the Vsion project. Apparently not.

I also thought they did pretty decent with Vsion presales (30 units out of 110). Had that project been proposed about a year earlier, it probably would have been a go.

• 11 months later...

Capitol Places's headquarters on Main Street still has a rendering of it in the window, but I coincidentally just drove past the would-be Dakota a few minutes ago and if anything is actually going on with it, it is behind the scenes only at this point.

• 2 months later...

Shot an email to Jeff Prioreschi about this project and he stated: "We are exploring two methods of financing that both seem to have legs and continue to move forward. We have total financial package, plans, feasibility, etc... completed. It is just taking a lot longer than we expected - and of course like! We expect to know more in the next month or so."

• 4 years later...

I read about this yesterday and didn't realize we had not already discussed it. The location is fantastic- so close to Main Street, the State House, USC- and thankfully the group behind it has a proven track record. Related question- do we have a development map for Columbia? I feel like I've seen one before, but can't remember where. It's very cool to see all of the developments overlaid on a Google map.

I read about this yesterday and didn't realize we had not already discussed it. The location is fantastic- so close to Main Street, the State House, USC- and thankfully the group behind it has a proven track record. Related question- do we have a development map for Columbia? I feel like I've seen one before, but can't remember where. It's very cool to see all of the developments overlaid on a Google map.

I don't of any map…but it would be cool if someone could make one. All we have is the list I made.

Archived