Blenheim Park

vdogg

Go to www.wtkr.com and click the "construction zone" video under featured videos. They announce a project called "Blenheim Park" and this sucker is massive. Very dense and very urban looking and if I had a way to copy the renderings from the the video I would. This is a very big project for them and it's kinda hard to believe it's happening in Cheasapeake.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blenheim Park is in the initial stages of development. It is anticipated that once the proposed interchange is completed in 2007, the first phases of this regional mixed-use project will open. When fully constructed, there will be more than 1,200,000 square feet of retail area including department stores, a theater, restaurants and specialty shops. Also, within the Town Center there will be more approxiamately 450 apartment units and two hotels consisting of more than 250 rooms with meeting facilities. This is a joint venture with CBN on property that is adjacent to Regents Universtiy Campus.

Blenheim Park

Yep, it's CBNs alright and it is related to Pats private interchange. Really makes me wonder what this is going to do to the traffic in that area. I was pleasantly surprised by the renderings at first and didn't do my homework. I don't know if I support this or not. I must say it's nicer than I thought it would be, but I just don't know. :unsure:

Yep, it's CBNs alright and it is related to Pats private interchange. Really makes me wonder what this is going to do to the traffic in that area. I was pleasantly surprised by the renderings at first and didn't do my homework. I don't know if I support this or not. I must say it's nicer than I thought it would be, but I just don't know. :unsure:

I think this is a great development. I imagine that this will help Regent University grow! I would like to see Regent's Law, or their campus period, campus expand some more.

Was it the fact that Pat Robertson is doing this that is making you second guess this project?

Was it the fact that Pat Robertson is doing this that is making you second guess this project?

I have no love for Pat but the reason I was opposed to this in the first place was due to the public funding of Pats ramp and the extreme congestion that already exists in that area. I didn't realize this was that project until I read a little further. As I said, the overall design is nice though it could use some improvement.

I have no love for Pat but the reason I was opposed to this in the first place was due to the public funding of Pats ramp and the extreme congestion that already exists in that area. I didn't realize this was that project until I read a little further. As I said, the overall design is nice though it could use some improvement.

I agree with you. I'm not found of him either but I have a feeling people are going to dislike just because its his project. I think that I'm going to stop posting pics in the southern pics because it seems that Va gets no love from many people.

Haha, don't take it too personal Rus, keep posting your pics. Va needs to be represented. You'd think though for as hard as they all fought to get us moved to the south that there would be more appreciation for the fact that we're here now. Oh well. :rolleyes::lol:

Hmmm. Interesting. I really don't like Pat, but I think I like this development. The town-center-square picture reminds me a lot of Stuttgart (there's a square in downtown a lot like that, with some high-rises behind the main buildings lining the square; this is Chesapeake though so I'm not expecting that :lol: )

But all in all, it's a good start, but yea some refinement would be appreciated.

For being such a religious guy you'd think he'd find some design with a little inspiration!

Site plan isn't too bad, but the building design is mediocre at best, vomitous at worst.

There's potential to create something pretty great there, so long as they don't do something stupid like ban gays or close everything down on Sundays.

so long as they don't do something stupid like ban gays or close everything down on Sundays.

:rofl: You know, that thought had crossed my mind. I was thinking to myself "I wonder what type of rules they'll have at this place?" :unsure:

After a night's sleep, I have a couple more questions/comments:

1) Is the proposed park Mount Trashmore 2? And if so, isn't the "lake" the borrow pit from which dirt was taken to cover the trash? That's not really part of the property so why is it included in the master site plan? Is Robertson working closely with VB and Cpeake?

2) It looks like VB comes out as the winner in this. They get the office space while Cpeake gets the retail. It's hard to tell if offices, more retail, or apartments will go on top of the retail. Could be a mix. The housing currently looks like a wash, however VB's part appears to be a future phase so it may change depending on demand for the project's office space.

That HQ site looks to be the Amerigroup HQ location. That does look to be the Mt. Trashmore 2. Thats probably why it says future park

The HQ site looks adjacent to the Amerigroup HQ campus and will be a new office development for another company.

Lots of cities desire some sort of urbanish development so good for Cpeake and VB. At least its not another strip center. In response to Hoobo's posting I highly doubt Greenbrier Mall is going anywhere anytime soon. It is the only mall for central Chesapeake and southern VB.

It is pretty shrewd of Pat Roberston to develop his property in this manner. I consider this development a more upscale version of the ODU village. Seems like it could be a college hangout for Regent students and a way to advertise more to enroll at the school....

Lots of cities desire some sort of urbanish development so good for Cpeake and VB. At least its not another strip center. In response to Hoobo's posting I highly doubt Greenbrier Mall is going anywhere anytime soon. It is the only mall for central Chesapeake and southern VB.

I understand that it isn't disappearing in the near future. But Blenheim calls for 1.2-1.4 million sqft of retail space (depending if you believe the press release or the prelim site plan). That's as big as Greenbrier Mall which is just one exit down 64. Two of those anchors in the Town Square portion look like mall department stores. The third and largest anchor which is surrounded by surface parking looks more suited for a Wal-mart, Target, or Lowe's. This development would be a strong competitor to Greenbrier in the long-term.

Yes, I don't understand the need for this at all. It would be a huge traffic generator in a questionable location and it would eat directly into Greenbrier's market. If it were mixed use, with a large mix of office and residential, with some neighborhood retail I could see it working. But not this proposal. I wonder if this is really what they have in mind?

Yes, I don't understand the need for this at all. It would be a huge traffic generator in a questionable location and it would eat directly into Greenbrier's market. If it were mixed use, with a large mix of office and residential, with some neighborhood retail I could see it working. But not this proposal. I wonder if this is really what they have in mind?

I think its more to cater to the Regent University people.

I think its more to cater to the Regent University people.

I doubt it's intended to cater to Regent. Regent only has about 3000 students. Throw in another 500-750 faculty & staff. That's less than 4000 people. Also, the development brochure provides figures for population and income for 3, 5, and 10 mile radii. This is a massive development with a regional retail component. If the retail component were intended to serve only the Regent users, office workers, and residents; the largest store would be a supermarket with specialty stores and restaurants surrounding it. This development will have a huge impact on the Greenbrier area of Cpeake and the Salem/Lake James area of VB.

I doubt it's intended to cater to Regent. Regent only has about 3000 students. Throw in another 500-750 faculty & staff. That's less than 4000 people. Also, the development brochure provides figures for population and income for 3, 5, and 10 mile radii. This is a massive development with a regional retail component. If the retail component were intended to serve only the Regent users, office workers, and residents; the largest store would be a supermarket with specialty stores and restaurants surrounding it. This development will have a huge impact on the Greenbrier area of Cpeake and the Salem/Lake James area of VB.

so you think they shouldn't build this development?

so you think they shouldn't build this development?

No, I'm not against it. And actually, after looking at google maps, I didn't realized that a lot of space was left for Regent to expand. It appears that the school could grow to 10,000 - 15,000 students. I don't mind that either since it won't dominate the area theologically like Liberty does with Lynchburg.

450 apartments in the retail area alone is a fairly good amount of housing. I wonder how much more housing is proposed for the multi-fam area. I don't see the point for any single-fam unless it is existing development that will be integrated into the project. I'm really curoius about the office component as well.

I like the fact that the parking lots are between the buildings and the highway. It allows for high-rise development in the future.

Although this development has plenty of outlets leading north, south, east and west; they all lead to congested thoroughfares. That is my main concern.

Archived