Political Change

vaceltic

Check out this article. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of whats been going on in Suffolk?

I figured a thread about urban development and politics might be good. Not sure if that crosses the line of this forum. A debate might get pretty heated. What do you think vdogg?

Here is the article...

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...9&ran=52119

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out this article. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of whats been going on in Suffolk?

I figured a thread about urban development and politics might be good. Not sure if that crosses the line of this forum. A debate might get pretty heated. What do you think vdogg?

Here is the article...

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...9&ran=52119

I'll let it go. Just understand i'll drop the hammer on it as soon as things get out of hand. :lol:

Without knowing much about this new Suffolk government or whether the established growth plan is working well or not, I must say the Pilot's representation of the new mayor's growth management plan is frightening.

I respect property rights (incl. the right to develop) but there's a real problem with the "I'll do what I want with my property regardless of the effects it has on everyone else" sort of mentality. Without targeted growth and managed growth, development could sweep over Suffolk, bringing population, traffic, school children, fire hazards, crime, etc. that will be dispersed willy-nilly throughout a large area with no infrastructure capable of supporting them. That brings horrible effects to neighboring landowners and all citizens of the community.

Boom suburbs are most often unsustainable. They're built quickly, cheaply, in a scattered fashion with little planning for transportation and services. More often than not they're considered desirable for only a few years until the headaches of living there, deterrioration, and the availability of new boom suburbs elsewhere draw people farther out.

I think there's a real need to plan growth in order to insure that:

Growth is sustainable (development capable of lasting a long time)

Services are in place to meet demands

Schools have capacity

Hospitals have capacity

Roads have capacity

Transit is accessible

Farmland, wetlands, & environmentally sensitive lands are preserved

I'm not saying highrises and light rail are the most appropriate thing for Suffolk. Growth is going to come. Should it be targeted to manage its effects, or should the city be raped by haphazard development?

The city manager in Suffolk is fired......

Also, the planning department in Chesapeake recommended denying the SoNo project. I am a little surprised at that considering it would help bring higher tax revenues to build more infrastructure to the city and the council wisely (IMO) approved it.

Any thoughts?

Archived