On Being Southern

Cybear

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah ok I think I've seen that along 95 south of the city. I thought it was ivy.

ah ok. Ivy is a darker green, and as a general rule, there is much less of it :)

yes Cybear. You are correct. Most people from Texas will consider themselves Texans first and southeners second. There's even a quote that says Texas is neither Southern nor Western. Texas is Texas. However, you have to be in one of the regions and the majority of the state is southern or at least have in common with Louisiana and Arkansas. If you crossed the border from Louisiana into Texas without seeing a sign, you will not tell the difference.

Texas is definately Texas, but if you have to lump it into a larger region, then the South is definately it.

ah ok. Ivy is a darker green, and as a general rule, there is much less of it :)

Texas is definately Texas, but if you have to lump it into a larger region, then the South is definately it.

Yeah I'd categorize east Texas as the south. I don't think I would with west Texas though.

^Same here, I've always considered east Texas, especially SE Texas, as part of the South. Geographically, most of Houston looks much more like New Orleans than it does San Antonio, which is about 150 miles closer to Houston than New Orleans.

Ok, I've seen that kudzu in two other places... it's not that bad... but it took over a little spiral staircase that used to be visible from I-95 southbound on the way toward the old Belvidere Toll Plaza. What gets rid of it? All vegetation killer?

Ok, I've seen that kudzu in two other places... it's not that bad... but it took over a little spiral staircase that used to be visible from I-95 southbound on the way toward the old Belvidere Toll Plaza. What gets rid of it? All vegetation killer?

I heard it's pretty hard to kill it off. Even if you try digging it up. If you miss some of the roots then it will just end up growing back again.

I have seen it destroy a house. All you can see now is the chimney, which is coverd with the stuff. Its not easy to kill. Anyone with some agent orange could take care of it pretty quickly ;) Seriously though, it is immune to most weed killers, so to kill it you have to go in and dig up the roots, making sure you find each bulb, which is about every 10-20 feet. Its a lot of hard work, but it can be done.

Although I'll reluctantly put east Texas and north Florida in the South, if I had my way they'd be booted out of there. Texas is Texas. They're too dominating. If someone from Canada asked an American where he's from, he'd say the U.S. If a Canuck asked a Texan, he'd show off his Texas-shaped belt buckle. As for Florida, oh man are they dumb as to what is the South. They think we Virginians are Yankees. Just because they have a drawl doesn't make them Southern. Even people in California's Central Valley or western Oklahoma have accents, but those states aren't part of the South.

Virginia is most definitely a Southern state, and it is interesting that anyone wouldn't think so. Richmond was the capital of the South, after all! It feels Southern to me, as does Southwestern Virginia. You could make an argument that Northern Virginia is Mid-Atlantic, but it doesn't feel "Northern" to me at all (neither does DC...that area is a wonderful and refreshing mix of both Southern and Northern influences).

Here we go again....LOL.

I'd say the Mid-Atlantic region starts in the NOVA area, but that the state as a whole is definitely Southern.

Haha, I didnt mean to start anything, Ive never really been involved in any UP quarrels, but I dont intend to start :D But if i had to put Virginia in a category, Id say Mid Atlantic, IMO.

Pretty soon every Southern state will want to start identifying themselves as Mid-Atlantic, since we're getting all these Northern transplants. :D

The day that Louisiana starts to declare itself as as Mid-Atlantic state, is the day I officially declare that absolutely nothing makes sense in this world. ;)

Archived