Deconstruction @ PNC 3

tooluther

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not McClatchy... Wheeling newspaper magnate Ogden Nutting is the true man in charge with a 25 percent ownership (McClatchy has like 12 percent ... is the public face... and the fall guy).

Anyone have any links to articles from other cities' newspapers (or other media outlets) concerning their impressions of Pittsburgh hosting the ASG?

'08 might have been nice, but I think there is a lot to impress people this year. Especially if they're aware of the construction and planned construction. This way we get our "face" out there sooner too.

I too would love to see some articles from other cities' newspapers about Pittsburgh and the ASG.

I too would love to see some articles from other cities' newspapers about Pittsburgh and the ASG.

Here's an AP article (found on the Detroit News website)

Wow, what a ballpark in Pittsburgh -- but, woe, what a ballclub

"The Pirates are the perfect example of a team that does everything right when building a ballpark, and everything wrong when building a team.

About the only thing the Pirates have done right since 1992 is build PNC Park.

there is every indication the club is making money, since their payroll of approximately $48 million nearly is covered by TV revenue and revenue-sharing money alone. The club's primary owners, small-town newspaper publisher G. Ogden Nutting and his family of Wheeling, W.Va., are plopping down nearly $90 million to buy a ski resort east of Pittsburgh."

I have always said, it's not so much that they win or lose, as long as they play here. Tho a winning season would be great. It hasn't seemed to keep fans away as it is still just a pleasant way to spend the day and many people feel the same as revenues are up. Imagine what they would do if they actually started winning! This is unlikely as long the league refuses profit sharing as the NFL does. It will almost always be the largest cities that will have the winningest teams because they can pay the biggest bucks.

We had fantastic coverage last night at the HRD. The shots from the bimp were great. And the montage of Pittsburgh scenes in the stupid Big and Rich song was very well put together. I like that there are lots of shots of greenspace and renovated row houses on the Soutside rather that just shots of skyscrapers and old steel mills.

We had fantastic coverage last night at the HRD. The shots from the bimp were great. And the montage of Pittsburgh scenes in the stupid Big and Rich song was very well put together. I like that there are lots of shots of greenspace and renovated row houses on the Soutside rather that just shots of skyscrapers and old steel mills.

Oh, wonderful. I was so annoyed when we hosted an NFL playoff game a couple years ago and the tv network went out of their way to find steel mills to shoot. Sounds like this was way better.

Here's an article from ESPN. It talks about how pathetic the Pirates organization is... how long-suffering the loyal fans are... and how underrated and impressive the city of Pittsburgh is.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar06/col...&id=2516841

"Pittsburgh is one the most underrated cities in the country. Despite the Steel Town reputation, there aren't steel mills left. There are, however, a lot of green hills, great museums, colleges and superb architecture.

"I had all sorts of people coming up to me who said they were expecting a gloomy city filled with ugly smokestacks and all the images you hear about Pittsburgh," Bay said. "But they were all surprised by how nice it is here."

Here is the latest down on Fifth Avenue. They have started tearing down the back of the buildings and have ripped down the material covering the buildings original facades. They are recycling all of the buildings (part of the "green" design), so demolition will take about two months for the whole block.

194350299_8a77785c52_o.jpg

194350298_f1b69e5dc1_o.jpg

194350296_73c76fdf0d_o.jpg

This must have been an awesome building back in the day. You can still see some of the original architectural features.

194350295_e156c2ff54_o.jpg

Final design of Three PNC Plaza

194350301_204b8040c8_o.jpg

194350300_f6251a9cc4_o.jpg

Archived