Sugar Tit sticks it to Greer

Spartan

The Sugar Tit community has decided to annex into Reidville. Their reasoning is that they don't want to be forced to annex into Greer at any point in the future. They despise Greer (and its annexation policy) so much that they would rather take their chances with Reidville. Apparantly Greer will start to annex into that area because of a new sewer line that will be built to serve a new school. Sugar Tit wants to remain rural, and they think that sticking with Reidville is the way to do that.

here is the article: http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...365/1051/NEWS01

I just found this interesting and somewhat amusing. I wonder if other places will start to annex into existing towns to aviod the same fate.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sugar Tit will be able to retail its ruralness, but it is going to become more difficult with sprawling residential and industrial communities coming in the next decade.

Sugar Tit and Reidville should be preparing for the eventual widening of SC-296 from SC-290 to Woodruff Road. Has Sen. Hawkins and/or Rep. Sinclair spoke about this necessity?

Greenville News article

^ This artilce talks about Sugar Tit's efforts to join Reidville." Property Owners Against Greer Annexation have secured 103 signatures on petitions to annex into Reidville. They're looking for alternative sewer service for the area."

Aritcle 2

This article talks about the groups efforts to dicuss sewer service alternatives with Spartanbrug Sanitary Sewer District or Western Carolina.

The number one theme in the articles is that these people absolutely do not want to be a part of Greer. The other theme is that Greer is trying to downplay it because they want them to be annexed. Its an interesting situation to me.

I don't like that prejudice against Greer. I prefer people to look at all options before making decisions. They need to do what is best for the community in the long run, instead of running from one option before closely examining what it could mean in the end.

I think that people should do waht they feel is right. Greer has a reputation as an agressive annexer, and rightfully so. I don't see why they couldn't come up with an agsreement to still be serviced by Greer, even though they will be in Reidville.

POAGA has mislead that community convincing them that if they do not join Riedville then they will be annex by Greer. Greer has promised not to do any forced annexations in that area, and has not done any at all in 7 years since the last administration.

Funny thing is that they are telling people that Greer is going to forcibly annex them with the 75% rule and then going and usuing the 75% and forcing people in to Riedville. Not to mention how this will harm their neighbors property values by blocking them from ever haveing sewer access.

BUT, this annexation will not work, Greer has already had first reading on an annexation to to get the sewer line to the school site and this will cut the Riedville annexation path more than in half. Also, atleast 9 property owners have filed to have their names removed from the petition.

Discovered this website a couple of months ago and recently registered. Hope y'all don't mind me jumping in head first!

The article in the SHJ is a perfect example of how you shouldn't take everything you read in a newspaper at face value. I have a friend who owns property in the Sugar Tit/Abner Creek area being discussed and he has a totally different take on the subject. If you could see a map of the proposed Reidville annexation, I think most of you would too. It's nothing more than a blockade that will negatively effect the value of many properties, including my friends. (limits sewer access.)

According to him, several of these property owners are ready to sue Reidville if this goes through. Note the reporter has only spoken with the same few people as in all other news stories in other papers (POAGA organizers) ... yet they represent this as the opinion of entire community. My friends tells me this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Not only is Reidville (under the guidance of POAGA) the only one forcing any property owners to annex against their will, as btoy has already stated, but many of the people who actually signed the petition to annex into Reidville now say that was not their intent ... many apparently thought they were merely signing a petition NOT to be in Greer.

I'm told over a hundred people showed up at the Village at Pelham for an informational meeting with Greer officials, which the paper did report. However, the reporter left out what my friend considered one of the most telling events at the meeting. He tells me that the majority in attendance were very attentive and interested in what greer had to say but, then during the question and answer segment one of the POAGA people got hold of a microphone and tried to take over the meeting (as his friend yelled insults at Mayor Danner from the back of the room) ... My friend then reports that the people in the room called for the POAGA guys to hush and sit down. Doesn't sound like a group that was so anti Greer to me. Even the G'vl news article the next day "locals" were having second thought after the meeting. Maybe the SHJ reporter left early.

(edited after some good advice from Spartan)

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your perspective. It is exactly the kind of thing we need here. If indeed this is the sentiment, then the papers are all wrong about this issue.

The only thing is that I don't see where Reidville is at fault. They haven't done anything to push annexation so far as I can tell. Its just the people in that group.

No matter what happens with regars to annexation, that area is going to get developed. They may as well go ahead and face it now and figure out how they are going to deal with it.

<<The only thing is that I don't see where Reidville is at fault. They haven't done anything to push annexation so far as I can tell. Its just the people in that group.>>

You are right to a certain extent. The annexation petition was apparently brought to Reidville be the POAGA group. (By the why, it's interesting to note that NONE of the 5 POAGA organizers are included in the annexation request ... Even through when you look are the map, they are closer to the existing Reidville city limits than many of those being forced into Reidville under the 75% method.)

It's also interesting to note that Reidville is far from a typical municipality. As a matter of fact, it could justifiably be referred to as the ANTI-municipality municipality. For those of you unfamiliar with the story, this is how it was described to me by one of Spartanburg Counties legislators: At some point in time, the historic township of Reidville was dissolved. Then, sometime in the not so distant past, the town was again chartered with the direct purpose to avoid being annexed into the City of Spartanburg. The town offers absolutely NO city services other than a part time city clerk.

Since this happened, the State legislature has corrected the flaw in the incorporation process that allowed this to happen. Now days, a newly formed city/town must provide a certain number of services in order for an area to incorporate. I believe the standard is that all must provide law enforcement and there is a list of other approved services of which a municipality must provide a certain percentage.

I wonder how unusual it is for a "city" to consider a 75% petition that was initiated by an outside group?

Yeah the current Reidville was established in the 90s. I want to say around 1995 or 1996, but I am not certain. But the reasons for it are exactly as you said. Though I find it interesting that while it was created to avoid being annexed by Spartanburg, the area around it is now being encroached by Greer.

You are also correct that cities must now provide services in some way. They must either provide them itself or the can contract out. Police and Fire are the two major services, but there are others as well I am sure.

I still contend that if people want to join Reiville, for whatever reason, then it is their prerogative to do so. Nobody forces you to sign an annexation petition.

I still think it is ridiculous to eagerly sign on for annexation just to avoid being annexed by another city. It is also ridiculous to write off that city without looking very hard at what it has to offer, which is apparently quite a lot. I have not heard this argument by most of the Greenville County residents being consumed by the city of Greer. I guess there will always be the "Bubbas" out there who will stand opposed to any change, regardless of it's benefits in the end. :rolleyes:

<< I still contend that if people want to join Reiville, for whatever reason, then it is their prerogative to do so.>>

If I appear to be opposed to anyone's right to annex into Reidville then I have been unclear. The truth is, I very much support the concept of property owners being able to request annexation into whatever municipality they choose. (Cities are a great thing!)

That said, I do have concerns about this particular annexation. I have great trepidation about ANY municipality that offers no city services being allowed to expand without being required to meet the standards currently set for incorporation. Be aware, it is county taxpayers (throughout the county ... including those in legitimate cities and towns ... who will be picking up the slack.) Currently law enforcement in Reidville is the county Sheriff's department, same as if it were unincorporated Spartanburg County. Reidville does NOT contract for this service; it doesn't cost the town a dime. Yet elsewhere in the county, every other municipality either has a police department or contracts with the County. As long as Reidville is little more that a crossroad community of less than 500 people, maybe the other county municipalities are willing to put up with this. But, if Reidville expands, I doubt this will continue to go unnoticed. Then what happens to the low millage rate lauded by Reidville?

Add to that the question of roads. In every other municipality in the county (as well as Greenville County) once a property is annexed into a city, any adjacent county roadway becomes a city street. Reidville only has a part time city clerk ... I wonder how they plan to meet the needs of a city street system that could grow more than two fold over night? Especially since many of these streets will come in with great needs. One lady interviewed in the newspaper says she doesn't mind having to pull over to allow someone coming from the other direction to pass by. I wonder how long everyone in the vicinity will feel that way? I wonder how she'll feel when the asphalt begins to give out and potholes are along her narrow road? Is Reidville really expecting the County to take care of their streets? I suspect there are a lot of city attorneys waiting to see how this one goes!

With all this said, my concern is not that Reidville may annex anything, but rather, that Reidville be treated no differently than other municipalities and that the town understands that from the get-go. If the current citizens of Reidville are willing to risk the end of their little tax haven, then that is certainly their prerogative. I just don't believe they have thought this through. I also don't think many who signed the annexation petition have all the facts either. (Remember, none of the POAGA organizers are part of the petition.)

<< Nobody forces you to sign an annexation petition. >>

Right. But remember, there are many properties being forced into Reidville on this annexation. It is a 75% petition. What about them?

And all of this uproar because of a perceived threat from a city that not only hasn't forcibly annexed anyone in almost a decade, but also has a stated policy against forcible annexations.

IMHO the press coverage of this situation has been both pathetic and misleading.

Thanks for the welcome Skyliner ... and yours too Spartan! I hope my wordy posts haven't labeled me as part of the lunatic fringe. I assure you I don't intend to be a one topic poster ... it's just that this one is something I happen to know something about :-)

Hah, I doubt it. You may be the most sane person here ;) The length of your posts doesn't matter... though tt would probably help if you split your future posts up into paragraphs for ease of reading.

Reidville may incrase two fold in population, but that would only put their population at less than 1000. Any road that comes into a city woudl still get the same funding, in theory, because when the money is divvied up by the county each year, it should recieve that much less for maintenence, and Reidville (or whoever) should recieve that much more. The major roads are state roads which will still be maintained by SCDOT.

I think that when it comes to annexation in SC, it is important to remember that we are one of, if not the only, state that lets each individual decide whether or not to be in a city. In most places it done by an ordinance or referrendum.

Less than 1000 today, but a whole lot more in a few years, unless something happens to change the sprawling growth patterns between Greenville and Spartanburg. There are already new subdivisions popping up near the Reidville township, and it has a major highway traveling right through, so it will inevitably grow. I wonder how easily it would survive if lots of new residents, businesses, and roads were quickly added. :(

Those subdivisions won't be popping up without the sewer ... and that's why so many people's property (including my friend's) will be negatively impacted if this annexation goes through.

Apparently the reason SSSD isn't interested and GCPW was assigned the territory is terrain related. It's too expensive to pump sewage up hill and the area in question is uphill from SSSD. GCPW is the provider that can efficiently and cost effectively provide sewer to the area. It's all about gravity.

Keep in mind, while the petition directly effects approximately 130 property owners, many others are indirectly effected due to the fact that the proposed annexation is purposely designed to cut them off from ever choosing to come into the city of Greer.

Archived