Sugar Tit sticks it to Greer

Spartan

I'm sure Greer would prefer to do as you say, but with the state laws being what they are, they have no choice. Either they grow like an octopus or they don't grow much at all. Few cities in SC are growing in population, but the few that are are doing so in the same manner Greer is. The process creates a lot of doughnut holes and jagged edges, but over time nearly all of those areas will become a part of Greer as well.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what are those reasons then? Please, do tell.

Why do you assume I have contempt for Greer? I may be from Spartanburg, but I support the cause of municipalities first, so long as that cause makes sense. Don't let your own biases toward Greer blind you from that fact. Its true that I initially supported Reidville's point of view from my initial statements, but I no longer agree with that. There are reasons that the POAGA group exists, however, and since they are not represented here I see it as my duty to provide that perspective. A city should not blindly annex an area just because it can, with the hope that it will be ok later on.

So what are those reasons then? Please, do tell.

Why do you assume I have contempt for Greer? I may be from Spartanburg, but I support the cause of municipalities first, so long as that cause makes sense. Don't let your own biases toward Greer blind you from that fact. Its true that I initially supported Reidville's point of view from my initial statements, but I no longer agree with that. There are reasons that the POAGA group exists, however, and since they are not represented here I see it as my duty to provide that perspective. A city should not blindly annex an area just because it can, with the hope that it will be ok later on.

First of all, We are not in the Sugar Tit annexation area.

Are you in an annexation area or in the future may be annexed into the city of Greer?

We will be probably in the next 5 years.

It will not save us money if we are annexed in to the city of Greer. First of all, our septic tank works fine. We do not need city sewer. If we had city sewer we would be paying hundreds of dollars a year in waste treatment fees for the water we use to water our lawns and vegetable gardens. Oh wait, I could pay 2000 dollars to have a seperate meter put in to distinguish between water that needs treatment fees and the water that does not.

We can not have city trash pick up as the city trash truck can not navigate our country road. We still will have to pay for the service though.

We spend a little on gas as we drive our trash to the dump. Limbs and yard trash can be burned on our land at no cost.

If annexed, we can no longer keep our horses or other farm animals on our land. Burning trash will not be allowed.

As far as police services, the Spartanburg County Sheriff dept. has served us well. As far as the fire dept. we know our house is already protected equally whether we are in the city or county.

We calculated that if annexed into the city of Greer, We will be paying another $1600.00 a year in taxes on top of the county taxes and get nothing in return except restrictions on how we can use our land.

As you can tell this is a sore subject with us.

Questions:

You sound as if you are in a very rural area, in which case there is little chance of annexation until that changes.

Greer's policy has been to annex only those that request it, so keep that in mind. As long as your septic holds out, you are probably fine.

Did you DEDUCT the savings on your county taxes (fire district,etc.) that will go away when you annex?

Do you know that the city won't pick up your trash or that if they can't, that you will pay the same taxes/fees?

Have you asked your insurance agent if you would pay lower rates if you were in the city?

If your livestock is present at the time of annexation, you might be grandfathered in anyway.

G'ville gal, I do not know where you live, especially since your name indicates you live in G'ville (could that mean the county of?) and I certainly do not pretend to know what your situation is. All my last reply attempted to do was report the situation for a property owner I do know. (Understand, I was asked to provide examples.) I readily admit that what holds true for them may not hold true for everyone. This makes sense considering that depending where a property is (which county, what special purpose districts) taxes differ.

I am a native downtown Greenvillian( born and raised) but have lived in Greer for 8 years. We have subdivisions going up all around us that are in the city. An attempt to annex us will happen within 5 years. It is inevitable as the way our land is situated.

Our neighbor who also has horses, asked the city a year ago what would happen with his horses if we were annexed and was told he would have to find another home for them. He currently is looking for rural land in another county to purchase if he is annexed.

Thank you both for your encouraging words. I will look into any deductions I may have missed and ask more questions but even with deductions, it still would be quite a chunk of change added to our taxes.

<<Our neighbor who also has horses, asked the city a year ago what would happen with his horses if we were annexed and was told he would have to find another home for them. He currently is looking for rural land in another county to purchase if he is annexed.>>

I've done a bit of research since reading this comment and think I have found information that may help to alleviate some of the concerns of G'ville-gal and neighbors. Horse and other "farm" animal are indeed allowed within the city limits of Greer if your property has the proper zoning. The city has a residential-suburban, or rural-suburban zoning that allows for "ranching" and does allow horses. I'm told that such zoning is indeed rare, but is granted and that property in your area (as I understand your area to be) would indeed likely qualify.

Also, I noted the following quote from Greer's city administrator in the Greenville News:

" We expect our practice of 100 percent method annexation, or only annexing property which requests it, will continue to offer opportunities to property owners in which they, the property owner, sees benefit."

Apparently the almost decade long policy of not forcing unwilling property owners into the city is still in effect. You should be safe to make your own choices.

• 1 month later...

Archived