http://www.aarpmagazine.org/lifestyle/dream_towns.html

The cities:

LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO

CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA

REHOBOTH BEACH, DELAWARE

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

ST. GEORGE, UTAH

excerpts:

"Everything I like to do is so accessible," says Ella, a retired educator who owns a car but seldom uses it. "I can take the trolley everywhere-downtown to the museums and restaurants, to The Orpheum Theater, or to the FedEx Forum if I want to watch the Grizzlies play a basketball game."

. . .

Why the locals love it

Despite the downtown building boom, real-estate experts have cited Memphis as one of the best values in the country. The average downtown condo sold for $164,940 in 2005.

Lifestyle perks

"What makes Memphis so special is that even though it's a big city, it's so friendly it still feels manageable," says Ella. "At heart, this is really a small town."

. . .

Residents love

Living in a cultural hot spot. Whether it's blues (B.B. King), country (Johnny Cash), rock (Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis), or literature (Tennessee Williams), Memphis has put its stamp on almost every aspect of American entertainment. And its cultural cachet shows no sign of wearing out: Walk the Line and Hustle & Flow, two of last year's hottest movies, were filmed in the River City.

. . . .

Nice pub. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is nice.

I've always thought when I retire, I'd like to have a small place in downtown Memphis or New Orleans (post-Katrina, I doubt it though) for the winter and a small cabin on a lake up in northern Minnesota for the summer.

I then found out that 1000 sq. ft. lakefront cabins go for $300K, so that idea's out the window. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived