Houston's "Bay Area"

Greens!

The southeast suburbs of Houston reach for miles and eventually stop at Galveston Bay. Along the bay there are numerous inlets, one of which is a brackish lake known as Clear Lake. Clear Lake is the center for an area of the metro known as the Bay Area which is mostly suburban but with an identity unique from the rest of the Houston metro. The area which is generally 18-25 miles from downtown on I-45 is home to NASA mission control, aerospace companies, several resorts and a fairly large fleet of pleasurecraft. Although I live there so I am biased, I think it is one of the best commuter suburbs of Houston.

I have split it up into two sections since the area is pretty large.

Part 1) The South Shore

Part 2) The North Shore

The South Shore of Clear Lake includes League City, Clear Lake Shores, Kemah, and Seabrook.

Part 1)

These are mainly of the older part of Seabrook. I will put the newer parts in part 2

Picture408.jpg

Picture407.jpg

Picture406.jpg

Picture412.jpg

Picture409.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture399.jpg

I assume this has to do with storm surge?

Picture397.jpg

The view of Kemah from across the water.

Picture403.jpg

Kemah-----There is a nice boardwalk there but it is usually crowded so I stay away.

Picture395.jpg

Picture396.jpg

Picture392.jpg

Lighthouse.

Picture391.jpg

Some giant power lines along 146.

Picture360.jpg

Continued......

Clear Lake Shores----It is really just a neighborhood.

Picture365.jpg

Picture366.jpg

Picture377.jpg

Picture371.jpg

Picture374.jpg

Picture372.jpg

Picture380.jpg

Picture379.jpg

Picture369.jpg

League City------

Picture386.jpg

I work at South Shore Harbor which is a small office complex and resort.

Picture381.jpg

Picture382.jpg

Picture387.jpg

Picture388.jpg

Picture385.jpg

This is a view of the North Shore from South Shore Harbor. The buildings in the distance belong to NASA Mission Control where they are currently communicating with the crew of the International Space Station.

Picture384.jpg

Typical subdivision in League City.

Picture364.jpg

Here is what it looks like before the houses.

Picture361.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pictures. I never spent much time in Clear Lake Shores. It certainly looks affluent.

My first apartment in Houston was on Fuqua and I-45, and I used to drive out to the Bay all the time, mostly to Kemah, Bacliff and San Leon. There's a lot of vacant land to the north, especially around Pasadena along Red Bluff Road (which was originally supposed to be a freeway and they still talk about turning it into one).

The whole Landry's/Kemah Boardwalk transformation was quite impressive. It used to be kind of a nasty fishing village, but it's now this crowded family-oriented amusement park. It seems to have driven a lot of residential development down there as well.

I've heard of people swimming in Galveston Bay, specifically in Texas City, but I would never do it myself. The water is far too murky, the chemical plants on it make me weary of it, and I've heard stories of crazy undertoes and currents.

Here is the second part. It includes the north shore of Clear Lake. The towns included are Nassau Bay, Taylor Lake Village, Pasadena (the tip), and Houston (sort of).

Nassau Bay:

Picture429.jpg

Picture431.jpg

CS $

Picture428.jpg

R $$

Picture443.jpg

R $$$

Picture430.jpg

NASA Parkway looking toward the Hilton.

Picture424.jpg

Holiday Inn Nassau Bay, where news crews broadcast the news of Apollo 13.

Picture423.jpg

Clear Lake from Nassau Bay.

Picture433.jpg

South Shore Harbor

Picture434.jpg

Taylor Lake Village/Pasadena:

View of the Hilton

Picture438.jpg

View of South Shore Harbor:

Picture439.jpg

Apartments, sailboats, and the future Endeavor

Picture440.jpg

Endeavor site

Picture436.jpg

Webster/Houston:

NASA

Picture427.jpg

Picture357.jpg

Space Center Houston, where the tourists go

Picture425.jpg

Picture426.jpg

Mission Control, where they communicate with astronauts

Picture351.jpg

Cool architecture

Picture353.jpg

Picture444.jpg

The Houston part of the Bay Area is known as Clear Lake City.

Picture445.jpg

Picture451.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture449.jpg

Picture447.jpg

Picture452.jpg

Picture453.jpg

Great pics. I love the funkier older part- great coastal cottages, a little dilapidated but appealing neighborhoods and fun creole/island architecture of some of the surrounding businesses.

I have a more positive image of some parts Houston now.

The newer suburbs and McMansion areas don't really have as much appeal for me, and reinforce my overall impression of Texas. Though I'm sure there are lots of other cool and funky neighborhoods in Houston and other Texas cities that I am totally unaware of.

Archived