Downtown Phoenix Wishlist

MJLO

Ok so i've been thinking about how much I'm starting to like downtown PHX.

So i'm starting to make a wishlist of things I want to see downtown! Things that

all cities of it's size should have,

I'll start with only one thing,

a Hard Rock Cafe.

I have many more but I want what you guys want.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I'm talking about folks! Is it busy? Is it in a busy part of town. I can't believe i've never heard that it's here. I'm so ignorant sometimes. I don't know where any of this stuff is. But i'm not going to stop. My next wish, a cheesecake factory. If there's one in Scottsdale, don't even bother telling me about it because i'm not spending my$ there. Or if there is one in Phoenix then show me the way home.

Coliin you got any wishes, I mean I know how you feel about the valley, but I can expand this to Tucson too dude.

Well first off, I want one downtown! But I can settle for Biltmore. Even though Chandler Fashion Center is in the burbs, I still like Chandler better than Scottsdale, so that's ok.

Here's one I know you can't get me on. The next thing I want to see downtown, Is a magnificent strip like Michigan Ave. in Chicago. Full of high class stores, and people. I think the part of downtown that has the best shot fof it is Washington Ave. (If my streets are rigth) It's where the BOA tower is, and It's where Patriots Park is. Patriots park is part of the City Scape proposal right? If you all can't tell I get confused.

I'm a little less ambitious...

Maybe I should read the other post, but is there a retail/office/condo project in the making Downtown? That would certainly help foster the sort of growth that's needed.

The way I see it, Phoenix just hasn't exploited the tourist industry as far as Downtown is concerned. The tourists go elsewhere except for the ball games, and even that crowd barely has any choices as far as hotels and restaurants are concerned. And, of course, the insightful Cardinals officials have put them even further out (maybe to appeal to the farmers or maybe to boost homes sales in Estrella Mountain Ranch). What else is there? The state capitol? Copper Square? Even the Heard Museum is out of Downtown.

I'm not big on the Big Cheese Chain, but it would certainly be a nice addition to Downtown. People in Tucson seem to talk about it a lot. But I think places that don't have it tend regard it as a big thing. Claim Jumper was also like that before they came here.

There is also a Cheescake Factory in Kierland! :lol: (Scottsdale)

I would like to see more shade Downtown- new developments built with big overhangs, and for the street to have shade structures, and for all of the light rail stops to be heavily shaded. -And more trees planted, water features.

And yes- a street as you described- a "Mill Ave" so to speak Downtown.

But more-so, many of cool mixed-use developments, more density, height, and urban friendly projects in our core.

I do think ASU Downtown and the light rail will help trigger the movement. -This could create the necessarry environment/ atmosphere, and also Cityscape could be huge! (Summit, 44 Monroe, Portland Place, W hotel, Sheraton will help too)

-But we always think one project alone is gonna change things Downtown (Cityscape). -As we did with the Mercado, and the AZ Center, and BOB. -It needs to be a shift in mindset-

People need to know our Downtown is cool again. -As of now you hear little bits and pieces about how there is some cool things going on Downtown- some cool nifty little shops and restaurants here and there.

But there needs to be a connection of retail shops, eateries, theaters, (entertainment is something we actually have plenty of Downtown), and cool bars/ clubs. We have so little nightlife and shops Downtown- and you have to drive to almost everything- unlike Mill Ave where you can park your car and walk everywhere you need to go.

Roosevelt street and Grand Ave are the best candidates for this type of leap if you ask me...

I just want a vibrant, happening atmosphere that's all!

Downtown is pretty dead after dark- but this could all change in time... We shall see...

It'll get there i'm sure. What is the BOB?

I think that there are enough projects going in downtown, to say the momentum has started. I think we are going to need to see more along Washington, and Maybe Central, before we really can say for sure. One thing that is for sure is that LRT has given it a needed boost in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Retail is one thing thats greatly lacking downtown. I would like to see an Urban Outfitters open downtown to cater to the new ASU students. Maybe add more retailers at Arizona Center like a Gap or American Eagle.

Any restaurant would be nice. Clubs and bars are greatly needed. Maybe a large macys. Theres so much downtown phoenix needs...

As others have said, I'd like to see some retail downtown...but higher end stuff or more rare then you find at every other mall. I'd like to see an Energie store, G Star Raw, Guess...but that will never happen, at least the first two (they only have 5-6 stores in the US...basically NYC, LA, San Francisco).

I'd also love to see a nice club...maybe something built from an old warehouse but make it very nice inside...something like Ruby Skye in San Francisco.

Energie and G Star will most likely open in Scottsdale before downtown Phoenix. G Star has released in some press releases at an interest in opening in Scottsdale (there are around 10 stores in the US right now) and I dont know whats the likelihood of Energie as they are mainly just Cali right now.

But, it is rumored True Religion and 7 Jeans are looking at One Scottsdale

Energie has stores in...

Ala Moana Hawaii

Dallas

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Topanga (Where in the world is this city? Never heard of it)

Washington

G Star Raw...

BOSTON

CHICAGO

DALLAS

LOS ANGELES

NEW YORK

NEWPORT BEACH

SAN DIEGO

SAN FRANCISCO

It would actually be very cool if they opened up a store somewhere in the Phoenix area...I think it would definately say something about Scottsdale, or Phoenix.

I don't like 7 or True Religion jeans.

Downtown Phx wish:

Nightlife!! (Hopefully ASU will help with this)

After dark- unless there is a Suns or Dbacks game- you can hear crickets chirping!

Gyms (other than the YMCA)

Blockbuster

Grocery Store

(I lived at The Lofts at Fillmore all last year and these were my complaints)

A grocery Downtown is an absolute necessity for the residential component to take off. That's what really gave San Diego a boost, and the same thing happened for Houston's Midtown.

Tucson will get some sort of market with Presidio Terrace, and that should greatly edge up the viability of living Downtown.

It would actually be very cool if they opened up a store somewhere in the Phoenix area...I think it would definately say something about Scottsdale, or Phoenix.

It probaby won't be too long. Scottsdale has a greater luxury retail market than San Diego. Many retailers are in line to open by 2008 in Scottsdale/northeast Phoenix.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is friggen great news! Downtown entertainment District proposed

$300 million entertainment district proposed for Downtown Phoenix. One of the partners in it, is the co-owner of the suns and Diamondbacks. The area proposed is Jackson from Central over to the BOB. Here are some Highlights:

The blockbuster proposal is significant because it addresses downtown Phoenix's lack of full-time residents and nightlife, both of which are key to turning the area into a true destination spot. The new district, when complete, could boast comedy clubs, signature restaurants, live-music spots and art galleries, as well as office space, housing units and a hotel

That's awesome!

This would be so great for Downtown Phoenix. Really give Tempe a run for its money.

I have lots of issues with the House of Blues, but it's certainly a draw and would give Phoenix a world-class concert venue when there really isn't anything there right now.

Archived