The Fort Collins Thread

MJLO

I know that Fort Collins was originally called camp Collins. Was either started by a general or a colonel of the same name. The current population is estimated at 128,000 by the census bureau. Which is a 10,000 people jump from the 00' census. The city has 47 sq mi of land which is Slightly larger than Grand Rapids MI, and slightly smaller than San Francisco CA. It is the seat of Larimer County pop 251k est. The tallest structure in the city doesn't exceed 160ft and 10floors.

What I want to know is this, with all the growth that Ft. Collins and Loveland are seeing. Is there any significant construction going on that isn't residential? I Think the main employer there is the university. Though I'm not sure. Why arent there more midrises in the city? For a city it's size it must be low to the ground. Is there a push here for new urbanism. Or will Larimer County eventually sprawl to where Denver and Ft. Collins become one metro area?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought you would be interested to know that recently I purchased the August issue of Money because it lists the best places to live and Fort Collins is number 1. The pros to living there are it's an outdoors lovers' paradise, good schools and very little stress. The con is that it has a tech-dependent economy. There is also low crime there and 60 miles of hiking and biking trails. Sounds like a great place to me, I especially love biking. Fort Collins took off in the 90's from companies moving from high-priced California. It also has a restored historic district called Old Town.

• 2 months later...

And for a city of 120k+ No Highrises. I don't even think there is a midrise in town. But I've been to old town. It's pretty cool.

its been a couple years since I lived there but when I did, yes the university is one of the major employers. as far as the highrises, FC has a cap on how tall the buildings can be to keep up with the Old Town theme. Dont know if thats changed.

how doest that work out in regards to density?

it does, just buildings cant be too high. If I'm not mistaken the twin tower dorms (like 12 stories or so I think...maybe taller) are the tallest buildings in FC. Its not all houses, lots of apt buildings. But 24,000 of the pop belongs too the univeristy too.

Archived