Downtown to get another hotel

chris holman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the one we've been talking about for awhile now, isn't it? It's good that it's official. Exactly where is it?

"But the downtown area will shake off its torpor when Hampton Inn & Suites opens a 175-room hotel near the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. The building is under construction."

Weird sentence. What is a torpor?

This is the one we've been talking about for awhile now, isn't it? It's good that it's official. Exactly where is it?

"But the downtown area will shake off its torpor when Hampton Inn & Suites opens a 175-room hotel near the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. The building is under construction."

I read that to I don't know what topor is either. And I believe I have herd about this hotel before sometime ago.

"A state of mental or physical inactivity"

And yes, I believe this has been talked about previously... at the Doctor's building, which i'm still not totally sure where that actually is... :huh:

Isn't the doctors building the one next to Bennie Dillon? There's a Mortons around there too.

Yes, the Doctors Bldg is the low rise connected to the Bennie Dillon Bldg. I used to work in it years ago when it still actually had Doctors offices in it. I cant imagine how they will convert it to a hotel though. The floor layout is strange. I remember there being an open light well in the center of the building.

This will be a great addition to the downtown lodging portfolio. Homewood Suites considers its downtown properties as flagships. Nashville will join cities like Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans and Salt Lake. Not to mention that this type of lodging does not currently exist in downtown.

On a side note.... I wonder who Tony will land for the ST hotel portion. I wonder if Peabody would be a stretch for ST? Do you think Peabody could be lux enough? It would certainly give them the entry into the downtown market they've been desiring for so long.

Just a thought.

This will be a great addition to the downtown lodging portfolio. Homewood Suites considers its downtown properties as flagships. Nashville will join cities like Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans and Salt Lake. Not to mention that this type of lodging does not currently exist in downtown.

On a side note.... I wonder who Tony will land for the ST hotel portion. I wonder if Peabody would be a stretch for ST? Do you think Peabody could be lux enough? It would certainly give them the entry into the downtown market they've been desiring for so long.

Just a thought.

I think the Peabody is looking for something larger (not just 10 stories)...but who knows, with all of this hotel buzz, they might have to settle for something smaller.

I definately don't think that the hotel market will become oversaturated downtown any time soon. I work at the Hermitage Hotel, and EVERY night people come in saying, "Please tell us you have a vacancy! We have checked every hotel in downtown nashville and there is nothing available!" Unfortunately we have to suggest the Opryland Hotel or something else like that that is far out. As far as I se it, we need more hotels downtown, and I think it's awesome that there are some smaller cozier hotels coming that are more unique rather than huge towers where you just feel like a number. Plus this puts more people down there to spend there money and walk around on the streets, etc. The more the better...

I had some limited dealings with the company that is planning the the hotel. They seem to have some pretty good properties in the Ohio and Indiana area. I think they will do a decent job of maintaining it once built and doing the project nice.

As for retail, it is generally up to the owner of the hotel to lease space. There could be some nice street level retail with this project and it may not be your typical Homewoods Suite.

An article in the Tennessean toady concerning the number of hotels planned for the DT and surrounding are. Can we support them all?? I look for a few of them not to make it out of the ground but I may be wrong with the current economic conditions here.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS02/607120400

Yes, that is correct. And 750 rooms would require quite a large building, would it not? It would have to be at least 30 floors, I would think, and maybe more if they do like everyone else and tack on a few apartments. Are they still looking for government funding for this?

I think Indigo is a refurbishment of an existing building...correct?

Your correct. I'm not sure what the name of the building is, but it looks like it was used for office's before.

The building is located right across the street of the WES site. Its very hard to miss just look for the Hustler Of Hollywood banner on the top of the building.

Yes, that is correct. And 750 rooms would require quite a large building, would it not? It would have to be at least 30 floors, I would think, and maybe more if they do like everyone else and tack on a few apartments. Are they still looking for government funding for this?

I'm not sure if there still looking for government funding, Peabody Hotel hasn't been getting much news lately. Peabody has been trying to get into the Nashville market for some time now.

I believe one of the sites they proposed years ago was the land the Symphony Center sits on today.

Archived