Downtown to get another hotel

chris holman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anywhere in that general area would work well. I think the Peabody would fit in better there than in the gulch, but that's just my opinion. I've never even stayed at one. What are they like?

ha... funny you should ask... I am actually staying in the Peabody in Memphis as we speak (I think there are only two other Peabody Hotels, they are in Little Rock and Orlando) ... It is an upscale, full service hotel... This one is a historic hotel with a fountain in the Lobby where they have the famous March of the Ducks... Also the views from the rooftop terrace at night are amazing.

Orlando and Little Rock are both pretty darn modern. Orlando is kinda sleek modern. Little Rock doesn't inspire me much. The Memphis location is frequently compared to the Hermitage Hotel. So it seems they run the gamut and it would be hard to determine what look they would go for (although I would bet pretty modern with a 700 roomer). Btw fieldmarshalldj, I LOVE THOSE DUCKIES!! Seriously, you get a good laugh at watching them march.

Here's their website if you wanted to check it out more, they have exterior and interior shots of each of their hotels

http://www.peabodyhotelgroup.com/

I think Indigo is a refurbishment of an existing building...correct?

Yes, it is an existing building, right across 18th ave from Palmer Plaza. It was an older office building and was going to need extensive renovation if it were to continue as an office building.

The Homewood Suites is a building rehab as well, on Church St.

I LOVE THOSE DUCKIES!!

Ok so when I was six, me and my mom and my grandma went to Memphis to see the Titanic exhibit, and the Peabody was set to pick us up. We went to the exhibit at the end of the night, and it was at the pyramid. When we finally finished, and got out it was probably about.....9 pm. No Peabody van, 9:30...still not there. We begged to use somebody's cellphone (this was '96 so they weren't as widespread) and we called them. Long story short, they were so worried about bad publicity that they sent the shuttle, gave us the presidential suite on the top floor (for free), and I got to be the duck master! It was pretty awesome. But the Peabody would be a nice addition, but if it's like the one in Memphis, it's by no means modern.

Peabody has said that they would want to model a new hotel after their flagship in Memphis. Of course, that was when they were talking about 500 rooms (now 750) and downtown land was much cheaper than it is now (before SBE&R's and Giarratana's projects were announced). Their best hope at this point may be as a HQ hotel with the new convention center. Three years ago, they were talking about a 12-story hotel. That would require a helluva lot of land for 750 rooms at this point. At this point, I believe a new HQ type hotel in Nash would be more like their property in Orlando. It is 40+ stories and has over 1000 rooms. It's in a suburban setting not far from I-6 and Disney. I think their hotel in Little Rock is the former Excelsior Hotel made infamous by Bill Clinton and Gennifer Flowers.

I would be okay with Peabody being the HQ hotel for a new CC as long as they are held to some strict design standards. I don't think that a glorified Holiday Inn is something that Nashville is looking for (or ANY meeting planner) in an HQ hotel.

If I were building/designing a new HQ hotel (and what would surely be a flagship Peabody Hotel) I'd go with a very international style that based on classic lines with smart accents. JMO - I want to see glitz.

SFree

I would be very suprised if that is for a Peabody in Nashville. It make more sense to me that this is the second renaissance hotel tower that DP mentioned.

Last time out Peabody was not a very serious contender becuase that wanted way way way too much TIF and giveaways from the city. According to my source that has not changed and they will not build a hotel here without these concessions. I say "who needs ya"! We have much more reputable hotels looking at our fair city wihout such giveaways.

That sounds very much like the rumor that is circulating for the Peabody. They've been very very very interested in DT Nashville. As a friend of mine in Nashville says... they envision themselves as the anti-Gaylord. They would build a significant presence in the DT market. I heard 34 floors and 750 rooms. If so, then that would be over 400' tall. Obviously, they hotel operators are lining up to move when a new CC site is chosen.

Did y'all see the location on the map? It's no where near where a new convention center or the Renaissance expansion would go. Maybe the map's wrong, but I think this could be a completely stand alone hotel, unrelated to any other development.

The map is the same one they use for all new projects on bidclerk. It has nothing to do with the proposed project. Just there to say hey look... we could put maps here if you sign up to look at them!

I love all this speculation! Based on what everybody's saying, I'm still guessing that it's Peabody, but I'm not too sure. If it is, I sure hope they relax their requirement on concessions. If they are adamant about concessions, I'm hoping for some other company to emerge.

I do not think we will see any 750 room hotels until after the new cc site is officially announced. It would not make a lot of sense to build a 750 room hotel in the Gulch if the cc goes to SoBro (we really need a better name that is less of a NYC knock-off. How does DowntownSouth sound? or maybe DownSouth?)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally, some retail space has been occupied in the Doctor's Building/Homewood Suites. Church Street Coffee Shop has taken the space once home to Cibo [which I really miss.] I haven't checked it out yet but will try to go in the morning.

Archived