Downtown to get another hotel

chris holman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I, too, miss Cibo! Nice folks and excellent food. They catered an in-house event for me one Christmas and did a super job.......I believe Sylvia is still in the catering business if anyone needs that service. I will be sure to check out the new place and compare the two.

• 5 months later...

I did a search and this seemed to be the best place for this Tennessean article. It mainly talks about the Indigo hotel for downtown but also mentions others such as the Hutton in West End.

Didn't want to archive the whole article but here are some excerpts.

Nashville hotel developers take hit but keep building

Lodging industry bucks trend

By Chas Sisk • THE TENNESSEAN • December 21, 2008

A banner hung from the upper floors of the old American Trust Building on Union Street hints at the conundrum faced by developer Mark Lineberry.

Against a blue background, the banner announces his latest project, a downtown Hotel Indigo, with a haiku: "Awake to Music/The Inspiration Begins/2007."

But as the calendar flips into 2009, Lineberry and his partners remain months from completing the project. After five years of planning, setbacks and, finally, the start of construction, it wasn't their intention to build a business hotel during a recession.

This rest of the article talks about Nashville's stronger resistance to the economy with good hotel rates and how building now could be good due to lower costs and the benefit of being a few years out on construction time.

Nashville market viable

Still, Lineberry sees some reasons to remain optimistic. While occupancy is down across the country, Nashville is one of a handful of major lodging markets where room rates are still growing.

"It's not like it fell off a cliff here," Lineberry said.

Lineberry also believes his hotel will hit an untapped niche. The quirky, boutique-style Hotel Indigo is aimed at business travelers, especially younger ones, who want an upscale room in a convenient location and are uninterested in 24-hour room service and other expensive amenities.

Many of the other projects under construction take a similar approach. The Courtyard Franklin Cool Springs, a Marriott-branded property, boasts proximity to downtown Franklin and a "refreshing business" style that it says is meant to encourage socializing among business travelers.

Meanwhile, the Hutton Hotel, which opens next month on West End Avenue, says it will offer easy access to Vanderbilt University, Music Row and downtown Nashville and a style that balances comfort and sophistication.

Archived