Busch Gardens building new roller coaster for 2007!

metalman

On July 5th they torn down the every popular LeMans Raceway. I have mixed feeling about that. As a kid it was a ride I was always pulling my parents to go on. But as an adult I rode it less and less. So it hold nostalgic memory for me, not a current longing for that ride. But, it they are going to put something new and amazing there, then I'm for it. I have two sites for you...

Here is the Pilot article... (the Pilot article doesn't say "roller coaster", but the second link pretty much confirms that it is.)

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...&ran=126136

Here is an unofficial Busch Gardens fan news site with PDF's and inside info on what the ride will be!...

http://www.buschadventure.com/?page=BGWC

Enjoy!

Metalman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the rollercoaster/amusement park message boards have been saying it will be like SheiKra of the Tampa park. They also expect the BGW version to be bigger since they requested a height variance to go above the 200 foot restriction. Since the LeMans site is next to the Rhine River ravine, we're talking about a tall ride.

Unless the entrance is shifted, the ride will be in France, not New France like that buschadventure site claims. Also, there is speculation that New France will be renovated into Switzerland similar to how medieval England was changed into Ireland. I think this is more likely to happen than Spain being added where Drachen Fire once was.

Connecting the dots for various sources pretty much gaurantee it to be a dive machine like the Seikra in BG, Tampa. Which, for you non-roller coaster fans is a steel rollercoaster which has completely vertical (as in 90 degree) drops. The Sheikra has unconventional cars that seat 3 rows on 8 people.

LeMans is in Aquataine, France. New France is basically Cananda, which has kinda of puzzled me over the years. If New France becomes Switzerland, would they still keep the woodsy, new frontier look? They spent so much adding the Smokehouse and renovating the Log Flume lately that I can't see them completely rethemeing that area. Now, adding a new country to the Drachen Fire site, I could see. I've read that 2010 will be a year for huge expansion news!

Getting back to the new ride...

BGW recieved a height variance of 210ft from James City County. There speculation of a 245ft drop which could be possible if a 210ft drop falls below into a ravine near the Rhine river possilbely or a tunnel.

There is a teaser sign on the LeMans building now that says "Diving in 2007, Menacing Flight" and has a picture of an eagles foot with talons out. Keep in mind that Sheikra is an African Eagle. And I have read of a French myth dealing with a flying serpentine woman. I did a google search on French bird legends and myths being that all Busch Gardens rides has some kind of Historical, mythical, or folklore-ish significance behind them.

Metalman

I just thought of something interesting that will put the height of this in perspective. Based on the James City county height variance it statedt that it will be 50ft taller than Alpengeists highest point, which is 195ft. So the new coaster will be 245ft tall which is just 5 ft shy of the Trader tower! WOW.

By the way, based on the two statements on the teaser board at Busch Gardens "Flight Menacing" and "Diving in". It's just my speculation from these clues that it could be a flying dive machine. These to coaster conpects a flying coaster and a dive machine have never been used together in the world. So it could definately be a first! What do you think?

Like I said, just a speculation

I just thought of something interesting that will put the height of this in perspective. Based on the James City county height variance it statedt that it will be 50ft taller than Alpengeists highest point, which is 195ft. So the new coaster will be 245ft tall which is just 5 ft shy of the Trader tower! WOW.

By the way, based on the two statements on the teaser board at Busch Gardens "Flight Menacing" and "Diving in". It's just my speculation from these clues that it could be a flying dive machine. These to coaster conpects a flying coaster and a dive machine have never been used together in the world. So it could definately be a first! What do you think?

Like I said, just a speculation

So you're saying it would be a combo of Tatsu (Magic Mountain) and SheiKra? That's crazy. Will they provide adult diapers?

A couple sites are claiming it would be 10 seats across rather than SheiKra's 8, so to make up for the increased weight, B&M will remove the floor in the new design. Therefore, a skilift-style dive coaster.

BTW, here's a link to a FAQ from BGW: LeMans/new ride (pdf)

Another reason to go back home in a couple years.....question for you guys, is the old Drachen Fire still there, I know they closed it down, but you would think they would be eager to replace that area with something.

They sold Drachen Fire to a Australian company, i think, years ago.

Another reason to go back home in a couple years.....question for you guys, is the old Drachen Fire still there, I know they closed it down, but you would think they would be eager to replace that area with something.

They drachen fire has been dismantled and sold to an australian company as rus said. It was just in a section of the park that was too far out of the way. Our company did some work to the existing queing stations which will stay and be converted to picnic shelters.

You mean the need for a bottle of aspirin and smelling salts for the grade 3 concussion after riding Drachen Fire had nothing to do with its closure? That was, by far, the roughest coaster I've ever ridden. I want thrills not brain damage. Then again, I did ride 16 times in a row once because there was no one in line.

You mean the need for a bottle of aspirin and smelling salts for the grade 3 concussion after riding Drachen Fire had nothing to do with its closure? That was, by far, the roughest coaster I've ever ridden. I want thrills not brain damage. Then again, I did ride 16 times in a row once because there was no one in line.

Honetly, that ride was nothing compared to some of the bone jarring up in Hershey. The Wildcat I believe. :wacko::sick:

I believe that Drachen Fire area is being looked at for a country addition that is being rumored around 2010-2012. New France (Canada :huh:), I've heard is also rumored to become Switzerland.

I loved the elements of Drachen Fire. If they could rebuild it to be a smoother would be awesome. I know it would never happen though :(

• 2 weeks later...

Official announcement of the new ride from Busch Gardens will be made on August 23rd!

BTW- Busch has applied for a trademark for the name "Griffon". While there are many spellings for the mythical Lion/Bird creature, this spelling is the French. Which makes sense, since is it going in France. :) Go figure.

I remember seeing Drachen Fire posted on online ride-for-sale boards. It was bizzare seeing such a large item for sale on random internet websites.

I do remember there was a coaster enthusiast site where people were talking about the ride, and how bad it was. One of the original engineers dropped in to defend his creation, and said that the original ride was supposed to have been in a much larger space. After much work Busch Gardens changed their minds about placement of the ride, and it had to be condensed, which changed things dramatically as you can imagine and led to the roughness of the ride. Had it been built under the original design the person said it would have been smooth and proper.

It seems like the amusement parks run in a cycle. One year is a weak attraction, the next year is a major attraction.

While I prefer Busch Gardens over Kings Dominion for the vegetation and environment, I'm a Volcano fan all the way. Linear induction motors for the win!

I've ridden Shakira as well, but don't remember it :-(

How could you have ridden SkeiKra and not remember it? It's Busches (tampa) newest coaster and the only one of it's kind in the US.

haha no. I might have been mistaken. When was it completed? I was there last Thanksgiving, and rode every roller coaster in the park of substantial size as I recall, but don't really remember the names nor too much of the park. Was there with family. It's one of those things where I've only ever been once, so I only remember a small amount.

If SheiKra was just completed then I missed it. I still have the park map somewhere, I just looked but all I came up with is an Austin street map and a photo from the Motzu or Montu or whatever.

Arrgh, I apologize if I was wrong.

Some rides are rare but not that great. Like the Hypersonic XL @ PKD. I dunno, it's fast but....

The Anaconda is also horrible.

Volcano good. Rebel Yell good. Grizzly Good.

Loch Ness good! Alpengeist good!

The Favio ride.. it just doesn't stick out in my memory at all (Apollo's Chariot). I've been on it a number of times I know, but I just don't remember it too well.

I actually shot video while on the Volcano, and in general a few years ago when I went up there with co-workers.

http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/trips/Kings_Dominion_03/

This link is to the SheiKra page on Busch Gardens website. The link in the first section is a first-person view of the ride. The second section has some pics, etc. etc.

This is Busch Garden Africa (Tampa's) newest coatser, not the one currently undergoing construction but still unannounced in Williamsburg.

http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/sheikra.aspx

This link is to the SheiKra page on Busch Gardens website. The link in the first section is a first-person view of the ride. The second section has some pics, etc. etc.

This is Busch Garden Africa (Tampa's) newest coatser, not the one currently undergoing construction but still unannounced in Williamsburg.

http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/sheikra.aspx

No I believe that was under construction when I was there. Looks neat.

True story. I had a coworker who was like "My bother is an engineer at a company called Arrow engineering and they use bla bla computers (or something)"

And I was like "The roller coaster people?"

He said "Yep, that's what he does"

Seems like it would be a neat job.

I was recently looking into Oceanview park movies. There were two filmed in Oceanview. Both the Death of Oceanview park and another one.

That would be cool to work for a rollercoater design firm or engineer. Arrow Dynamics who has since been bought up by another amusment ride company built Lochness Monster, Big Bad Wolf, and Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens. Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, and evidently this new coaster are from B&M (Bolliger & Mallibard) a swiss firm. I'd say and many do say that they are the best rollercoaster designers in the world. There rides are the smoothest, most comfortable, and thrill and innovative. Just look at Apollo's Chariot...It's ride is "like butta".

I've heard of, but never seen "Death of Oceanview Park". Apparently the rollercoaster there was so well constructed that when they attepted to destruct it for the movie it did even collaspe with the use of detonations. They had to weaken the structural supports before successfully taking it down for the celluloid. That place was like the Coney Island of the Mid-Alantic. Too bad we saw it's destruction memorilized on film. It would have been cool to still have it around.

• 3 weeks later...

New Busch Gardens rollercoaster- Griffon

Griffon - Fact Sheet

8/23/2006 12:00:00 AM

Fact Sheet

Set amid a French village, Griffon carries riders up 205 feet, then hurtles them 90 degrees straight down at 70 mph. And that’s just the beginning.

Griffon evokes the power and speed of a mythical bird that is part eagle and part lion. It plunges, twists and turns – giving riders an adrenaline-pumping adventure that’s unlike any coaster experience in the world.

Griffon will be the tallest dive coaster in the world; the first floorless dive coaster, and the first to incorporate two Immelmann loops (an inverse diving loop named for a WWI German fighter pilot), a second 130-foot dive and one water feature. Griffon offers over-the-edge excitement on more than half a mile of steel track and will become the centerpiece of Busch Gardens’ Europe’s French section.

TYPE OF RIDE:

* Dive coaster

FIRST-OF-A-KIND ELEMENTS:

* Steepest drop (90

Archived