Busch Gardens building new roller coaster for 2007!

metalman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting things about this (if you haven't seen the virtual ride, check it out) that the cars are floorless, so your feet are dangling like on the Alpengiest, but you're above the track. The three rows of seating are stadium style so everyone will have a great view.

And as a dive coaster goes, you are held by block brakes for a few seconds facing down before they let you go, freefalling into the first drop! HOT

The theming looks awesome too. It looks like they are expanding the French village with a cool bridge leading to the que building.

...interesting note that I found out. Armada Hoffler was the general contractor for Alpengiest. I thought that would interesting and cool.

I'm probably going to Busch on saturday. I'll take some pics.

VDOGG, are you going to add this to newWilliamsburg construction thread. :)

Later,

Metalman

Thinking of the height of this ride in a different perspective, that first drop would just about be like jumping off of the Trader tower....wow! (205 ft)

News of the coaster hit the Virginian Pilot today.

The width of the car is very... odd.

Any idea if it uses a chain drive to get the car to the top of the hill? Or are they able to propel it up the first drop using LIMs?

News of the coaster hit the Virginian Pilot today.

The width of the car is very... odd.

Any idea if it uses a chain drive to get the car to the top of the hill? Or are they able to propel it up the first drop using LIMs?

It is the widest dive coaster, but dive coasters have to be wide in order to pack the same number of riders as a regular coaster train. Dive coasters stop at the top then are tilted to 90-degrees vertical before dropping, or diving. The propulsion will be a chain. LIMs are only used to launch coasters and to stop them in short distances. Otherwise, the cost of LIMs isn't worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

That coaster is amazing :w00t: I cant wait till opening day next year!

Very Nice, but also very short. It says you will spend 3 minutes on the ride, but from the virtual ride you spent the vast majority of the time just going up the first incline. A quick time measurement of the virtual ride from the drop to where the video ends is about 40 seconds.

This is going to sound cheesy, but if you've played Roller Coaster Tycoon they do have this type of coaster. Glassoul is correct, most of the time involved in the ride is the initial incline; once the ride starts it's over in a matter of seconds. Doesnt take away from the thrill factor though.

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

Track has been arriving to the site for a couple weeks now. The concrete footers are continuing to be poured, the queue station is being built, and the track is starting to be bolted in place!

The track itself is a royal blue. It's in keeping with the colors from the rendering, so the supports should be a light blue/sky blue.

There are construction pics on the link in the first post to Busch Adventure Zone if anyone is interested.

• 5 months later...

Yea, I've been keeping up on the coaster. http://www.bgescape.com has link to some great aireal photos on the main page. At 205 ft., it towers over the park. The track itself is like twice as wide as a normal coaster (well maybe not twice). It makes Alpengiest next to it look like a minature. :)

I can't wait till' late spring when they open it. My wife and I are planning on taking off work that day.

Later,

Metalman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, I hit this coaster yesterday. Along with the Apollo's Chariot (of course, the best in my opinion). However, I think Griffon comes in a close second. Griffon is like nothing ever ridden before, and I've ridden many(Hershey, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens(Tampa,Williamsburg), Six Flags). However, it is very short. If they could have added a few more drops I would have considered it the best coaster ever. Still very much worth the hour long wait. My only real complaint is that you can't line up and ride where you want to. They fill the coaster as it comes available. Therefore, you might have to ride it a few times before you are able to get the front row.

Man, I hit this coaster yesterday. Along with the Apollo's Chariot (of course, the best in my opinion). However, I think Griffon comes in a close second. Griffon is like nothing ever ridden before, and I've ridden many(Hershey, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens(Tampa,Williamsburg), Six Flags). However, it is very short. If they could have added a few more drops I would have considered it the best coaster ever. Still very much worth the hour long wait. My only real complaint is that you can't line up and ride where you want to. They fill the coaster as it comes available. Therefore, you might have to ride it a few times before you are able to get the front row.

this coaster is in europe right? kinda wish i could go. but nope... i am stuck to the lovely confines of arkansas and theyre magic springs, six flags wannabe

this coaster is in europe right? kinda wish i could go. but nope... i am stuck to the lovely confines of arkansas and theyre magic springs, six flags wannabe

It is in Busch Gardens Europe(Williamsburg, Virigina). In the France section.

• 4 years later...

Yep, once they took down Big Bad Wolf, rumors were floating around. Mach Tower (a drop tower) has been delayed but will open soon, and the renovations to Oktoberfest are done unless there are any upcoming phases of renos. The basic blueprints and renderings were leaked beginning from the James City County city council meeting that was recoreded and plans given to local contractors who were bidding for the construction job. It's name (as of now) is Verbolten- a play on the German word Verboden (Forbidden) and to bolt- as in, to go fast, quickly. Some people think that this current name may be changed when the official reveal takes place and that Verbolten is something like a working title, but well see.

It has a 'spirit of a race car takes over you as it races thru the Autobahn in the Black Forest' kind of story line...though it looks. With some 'first' for an American Roller coaster.

I'm excited.

• 2 years later...

Archived