The islands of Palau

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

^Yep the majority of Americans dont know about these places except for maybe scuba divers because some of the places like this have some of the best dive spots in the world and well the others would be places that have been affected by the mass migrations from these tiny countries like Guam, Northern Marianas, Hawaii and to a lesser extent...Portland, Seattle, Southern Cali to Arkansas.

Yep weird to see Arkansas as a place micronesians have migrated to but Northwest Arkansas around the Springdale area supposedly has the largest Marshallese population outside of their own country many were recruited to work for the Tyson chicken processing plants for cheap labor sometime after the freely associated compacts in 1986. They supposedly number around 10,000 or more in that area Hawaii has the second largest with over 7,000 and thats just one micronesian ethnic group and they the "marshallese" come from a country of just under 60,000 people and already the exodus is large in comparison to the country's pop. Many that ended up in Portland-Salem work for the canneries. Many micronesians like the Palauans were also recruited to work at Disney in Orlando. Hawaii has like all the different micronesian (Marshallese, Chuukese, Pohnpeian, Pingelapese, Kosraean, Yapese, I-Kiribati, Nauruan, Mortlockese, Carolinian, Chamorro, Palauan, etc etc) groups there are and they are still moving here in large numbers ive noticed the change in my own neighborhood from when i left originally and moved back. The only problem i have is figuring out which ethnic group they belong to cause i'm still not very familiar with their languages. The Marshallese seem to have the most complicated sounding language of the groups ive heard cause they seem to use a lot of consonants and very few vowels, the others i'm like um excuse me but what language are you speaking? haha

Archived