New Wal-Mart Supercenter for High Point?

jasoniman24

I have been hearing speculation on Wal-Mart wanting to build a new store on the old Winn-Dixie site on S. Main St in High Point. Is it true?, I am neither Anti or Pro Wal-Mart, but at least they would be using land that was already developed, like Carolina Circle. It does seem strange that High Point is the only Triad city without a Supercenter.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little shocked that there are people that actually still think a new Wal-Mart is a good thing.

While I agree with you DC, people will view this as a boon to their town's local economy and people will come flocking thru the doors when they open. WalMart will have their day then we'll be left to pick up the pieces when they fall down.

Im just amazed at the number of responses these Wal-Mart/Harris Teeter threads are getting while more exciting GSO/HP threads are getting a lot less. 500 replies and 10,000 views...wow. I know there's plenty more interesting developments going on in Guilford County.

Im just amazed at the number of responses these Wal-Mart/Harris Teeter threads are getting while more exciting GSO/HP threads are getting a lot less. 500 replies and 10,000 views...wow. I know there's plenty more interesting developments going on in Guilford County.

I have been wanting to say that for SOOO LONG!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I guess most of the Triad forumers are stricly about retail and don't care as much about the cultural and employment type (among others) threads that barely get a response. Not that this is wrong, it's just how our forum has developed. Maybe as UP grows and we get more forumers from the Triad our subjects will start to diversify. It's a shame because there is quite a variety of activities and opportunities in this area.

"I guess most of the Triad forumers are stricly about retail and don't care as much about the cultural and employment type (among others) threads that barely get a response.'

And the retail we are talking about here is Wal-Mart, not H & M or Neiman Marcus. Wal-Mart is news, but not big news, or even good news.

"I guess most of the Triad forumers are stricly about retail and don't care as much about the cultural and employment type (among others) threads that barely get a response.'

And we the retail we are talking about here is Wal-Mart, not H & M or Neiman Marcus. Wal-Mart is news, but not big news, or even good news.

I've been lamenting the fact that the only topic that brings the Triad forumers out seems to be the ones with Wal Mart attached to them. It's a sad commentary but perhaps it speaks to the real differences between the Triad, the Triangle and the Charlotte area. In both the Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte forums, the most trafficked topics are about downtown development - topics that are urban and true examples of local economic development - whereas in the Triad forum, the most trafficked topic is about an abandoned suburban mall that is getting a Wal Mart. You can draw your own conclusions.

I didn't intend for this to become a lengthy Wal-Mart thread, I just wanted to know if anything was going to be done with that area. I'm just tired of seeing so many vacant buildings in the Triad, they're just breeding grounds for graffitti and other crime.

I guess most of the Triad forumers are stricly about retail and don't care as much about the cultural and employment type (among others) threads that barely get a response. Not that this is wrong, it's just how our forum has developed. Maybe as UP grows and we get more forumers from the Triad our subjects will start to diversify. It's a shame because there is quite a variety of activities and opportunities in this area.
I post in this forum a lot and I don't consider myself "strictly about retail." That said, my frame of reference on the Triad is primarily retail-based. I live about 90 minutes from most points in the Triad, and the primary reason I visit the area is to shop. Other than a few concerts and plays, I am not an active participant in the cultural and employment sector of the area. I can't post about what I don't know about, and a lot of what I see that is interesting is closed by the time I get to it from here, or not worth the drive to participate in.

I've been lamenting the fact that the only topic that brings the Triad forumers out seems to be the ones with Wal Mart attached to them. It's a sad commentary but perhaps it speaks to the real differences between the Triad, the Triangle and the Charlotte area. In both the Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte forums, the most trafficked topics are about downtown development - topics that are urban and true examples of local economic development - whereas in the Triad forum, the most trafficked topic is about an abandoned suburban mall that is getting a Wal Mart. You can draw your own conclusions.
Roadgeek (the OP on the Carolina Circle thread) is a friend of mine, and I respect his right to start and continue a thread on something that was very important to him, just like anyone who reads this has a right to start and contiue a thread on whatever they want (following the rules and regulations of this board). Maybe the problem isn't people starting threads about abandoned malls, maybe the problem is sour grapes about other posts that went unnoticed.

Don't hate. If your supposedly more "culturally uplifting" thread doesn't get noticed, keep adding information. Recruit like-minded people to join you on UP. Support each other. But don't put down people because you don't like their threads.

Maybe the problem isn't people starting threads about abandoned malls, maybe the problem is sour grapes about other posts that went unnoticed.

Don't hate. If your supposedly more "culturally uplifting" thread doesn't get noticed, keep adding information. Recruit like-minded people to join you on UP. Support each other. But don't put down people because you don't like their threads.

While I have had heated debates on forum with people who I don't see "eye to eye" on developments, everyone has the right to their opinion and the right to share it here if they follow the rules and guidelines. I sincerely hope I haven't offended anyone, I don't dislike the thread we are talking about and have contributed to it as it does speak to the redevelopment of an important part of the Triad. And if anyone actually reads the thread it doesn't speak "just about WalMart," it talks about the numerous changes taking place in the area. I think two things have caused the "sour grapes," that a thread with "WalMart" in the title has consistently been the first thread listed in the Triad forum for over a year. Had the thread been titled "CCM area redevelopment" I doubt anyone would have said a thing.

That said, I constantly talk about UP to other people and hopefully have helped add a few members. I probably should have worded the "don't care about cultural and employment" threads statement better.

Can we all just be friends?? :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm open to any thread that a forumer feels is interesting enough to be posted. My post was more out of frustration that the Triad isn't quite keeping up with the Charlotte and Triangle areas and so the conversation is often relegated to something I find a little less interesting than urban development projects.

I constantly talk about UP to other people and hopefully have helped add a few members. I probably should have worded the "don't care about cultural and employment" threads statement better.

Can we all just be friends?? :)

Sure can :) Keep those recruiting efforts up. It's working in Roanoke :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm open to any thread that a forumer feels is interesting enough to be posted. My post was more out of frustration that the Triad isn't quite keeping up with the Charlotte and Triangle areas and so the conversation is often relegated to something I find a little less interesting than urban development projects.
No problem. Charlotte and Triangle certainly have more urban development threads, but we're gaining on them in Triad. :shades:

The small town of Clinton where my grandmother lives has a Wal-mart supercenter. This is a town of 12,000. Wal-mart has all but killed off every single grocery store, local harware shop and countless other big and small business around. I have seen what one of these stores can do. The supercenter has pulled the focus of retail from what was a nice quaint downtown that was trying to pull people back in to the desolate state is was in for decades. The minute it opened the k-mart, wilson grocery store and a true value hardware store went under. As did the downtown deli shops and small clothing stores. Now everyone has to go to that side of town where wal-mart is and fight the traffic because every fast food chain linked its future with the success of the supercenter. I used to think wal-mart was ok but now I see the effects of the "everything under one roof" mentality we Americans are so in love with.

You know I thought the same thing so I said if you can't beat'em join'em. I lived in G-boro for about 5 years and loved it. I just wish there was more momentum for the city as a whole. So much potential is wasting away while Charlotte and Raleigh keep pushing ahead. Don't getme wrong I don't want the Triad to be copycat clones of those two I just want G-boro in particular to grow up.

The small town of Clinton where my grandmother lives has a Wal-mart supercenter. This is a town of 12,000. Wal-mart has all but killed off every single grocery store, local harware shop and countless other big and small business around. I have seen what one of these stores can do. The supercenter has pulled the focus of retail from what was a nice quaint downtown that was trying to pull people back in to the desolate state is was in for decades. The minute it opened the k-mart, wilson grocery store and a true value hardware store went under. As did the downtown deli shops and small clothing stores. Now everyone has to go to that side of town where wal-mart is and fight the traffic because every fast food chain linked its future with the success of the supercenter. I used to think wal-mart was ok but now I see the effects of the "everything under one roof" mentality we Americans are so in love with.

The same thing will probably happen in High Point/Archdale, we have Southside Hardware, K-mart, and several other stand-alone stores that will suffer if the WM is built.

Archived