Stones River Mall Renovation

Justiceham

A friend of mine told me this and I had to see for myself. So I went there today and one of the clerks said they were having a store closing sale. J.C. Penny will be the first anchor to reopen in the malls renovation plans, then Dillard some time after that. The plans call for increasing the square footage to 600,000 making it an open-air mall while adding a much needed food court, new floors, seating areas, and a new exterior design. Existing outparcels will be upgraded to keep in line with Gateway standards.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine told me this and I had to see for myself. So I went there today and one of the clerks said they were having a store closing sale. This is bad news considering they were supposed to have a new store along with Dillard in the malls current renovation plans.

Justiceham, isn't a new mall supposed to be built on Medical Center Pkwy or in that vicinity? I would think JC Penny would be one of the anchor tenants if such is the case.

Also (unrelated), I recall a program on the History Channel which was about endangered American battlefields and Stones River was the #1 most endangered battlefield in the country due to development and encroachment. I visited Stones River National Battlefield just the other day and after purchasing one of the 'troop movement' maps I can now see that the Park which now exists is but a miniscule portion of the entire battle. Essentially, the entire first day of fighting is not inside the Park and the first attack and most of the fighting on the first day took place around what is now Medical Center Pkwy (where the I-24 now runs) and the battle line of the Union right flank extended westward past what is now St. Andrews (Kohls, etc.). Uhm, at least that is how I am reading the map. Also, the left flank extended into what is now neighborhoods along Thompson Lane north of the Greenway and Broad. This constitutes a HUGE swath of land which is NOT part of the protected National Battlefield.

Justiceham, isn't a new mall supposed to be built on Medical Center Pkwy or in that vicinity? I would think JC Penny would be one of the anchor tenants if such is the case.

Also (unrelated), I recall a program on the History Channel which was about endangered American battlefields and Stones River was the #1 most endangered battlefield in the country due to development and encroachment. I visited Stones River National Battlefield just the other day and after purchasing one of the 'troop movement' maps I can now see that the Park which now exists is but a miniscule portion of the entire battle. Essentially, the entire first day of fighting is not inside the Park and the first attack and most of the fighting on the first day took place around what is now Medical Center Pkwy (where the I-24 now runs) and the battle line of the Union right flank extended westward past what is now St. Andrews (Kohls, etc.). Uhm, at least that is how I am reading the map. Also, the left flank extended into what is now neighborhoods along Thompson Lane north of the Greenway and Broad. This constitutes a HUGE swath of land which is NOT part of the protected National Battlefield.

Yes, the new mall will be called "The Avenues," and it is to be located along Medical Center Parkway and wil back up to the interstate. Its tenants made no mention of a J.C. Penny, but here is the list of committed tenants so far:

Barnes & Noble booksellers, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods and Belk, Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, Jos. A Bank, New York & Company, Talbots, White House/Black Market, Ulta and Cost Plus World Market, Atlanta Bread Co., Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, Earthfare(almost identical to Wildoats) & Harry and David's Chocolate. Costco announced its plans to add eight new stores in the Middle Tennessee area, and its highly likely that Murfreesboro will receive atleast one, probably located in the Gateway overlay district. To address the second topic, the Stones River Battlefield is only protected from Thompson Lane back to the welcome center, boardering Wilkinson Pike on the west side and boardering Broad Street on the east side. There is one other piece of land which will be connected to the Greenway across from the Mayfield factory.

The land that The Avenue's is on was once part of the original battlefield. Preserving that is my only big issue about this project. The old mansion that was torm down on the other side of I-24 was a Civil War era house. All that is left is the small glass greenhouse that was in the backyard of it. Sad.

I wish JCP would Leave Cool Springs and we could get something decent that people would actually go to. I really think CSG could support a Nordstroms.

So do. But I would rather see that in Green Hills and a Saks, or something along those lines, out in Cool Springs. They would compliment eachother in those locations better.

So do. But I would rather see that in Green Hills and a Saks, or something along those lines, out in Cool Springs. They would compliment eachother in those locations better.

I agree. I was thinking the other day that, since Federated is changing all the other brands into either Macy's or Bloomingdales why don't when they do the switch-over change the newly built Hechts into a Bloomingdales. Green Hills could probably support a high end department store.

Veering from the thread subject just a little bit, a Macy's sign has gone up on the Hecht's Store at the Bellevue Center. The Macys name is prominently displayed throughout. A saleslady said the grand re-opening would be on labor day. I wonder if that will happen at the other stores around town also.

By the way, Bellevue Center (Mall) is almost deserted now. Practically nothing but the three anchors. I don't know how it stays open. Maybe Macys knows something I don't.

Veering from the thread subject just a little bit, a Macy's sign has gone up on the Hecht's Store at the Bellevue Center. The Macys name is prominently displayed throughout. A saleslady said the grand re-opening would be on labor day. I wonder if that will happen at the other stores around town also.
It will. Macy's will be rolled out to all the former May Company stores in early September.

A friend of mine told me this and I had to see for myself. So I went there today and one of the clerks said they were having a store closing sale. This is bad news considering they were supposed to have a new store along with Dillard in the malls current renovation plans.

Back in late May, I drove to the back of the mall and saw where the new JC Penney store was under construction. Somewhere on the internet, but I cannot remember where, I saw an article stating that the new larger JC Penney store is supposed to open in October of this year. The new larger Dillard's is not scheduled to open until late next year.

It will. Macy's will be rolled out to all the former May Company stores in early September.

The Macy's signs have already been hung at the Hecht's store at RiverGate Mall. They are covered with temporary Hecht's tarps.

It's really sad how we plow over our battlefields and plant a new shopping center. At least Stones River isn't as bad as the Franklin battlefield...which basically barely exists anymore.

The Macy's signs have already been hung at the Hecht's store at RiverGate Mall. They are covered with temporary Hecht's tarps.

Same for Hickory Hollow Mall. The signs were replaced beginning June 5 and are now covered by the temporary Hecht's tarps mentioned above. Recently, a 'shopper' informed me that the merchandise has not switched to the macy's brand yet.

Same for Hickory Hollow Mall. The signs were replaced beginning June 5 and are now covered by the temporary Hecht's tarps mentioned above. Recently, a 'shopper' informed me that the merchandise has not switched to the macy's brand yet.

I will second you that the merchandise has not yet switched to the Macy's brands. I have been on the lookout for that in several of the area stores. Months ago I was informed that, as for men's merchandise, the Brandini line will go and John Ashford will be retained. I expect to eventually see Macy's brands such as Alfani (men's), INC (men's and women's), and Charter Club (women's).

I know a top exec at NM, and she said that they will be coming to Nashville within the next two years. They have a strategy of moving into smaller markets that are also high growth. She also said they are trying to decide the best place to put their store. They like the demographics of Green Hills, but the mall is still a bit downmarket for what they want.

For no reason in particular, I expect Nordstrom to go to Cool Springs. They already tried to go there a few years ago.

Downmarket? Does she realize Tiffany and Louis Vuitton are both going in right now?

It's really sad how we plow over our battlefields and plant a new shopping center. At least Stones River isn't as bad as the Franklin battlefield...which basically barely exists anymore.

It is basically the same here. The differnece is that a bigger portion of the actual field is preserved, but most of it is now developed or is GOING TO BE developed in the near future. Rutherford County has little care about its past. At least that's the message current leadership has shown. Pander to the developers and forget anything else including way of life.

It is basically the same here. The differnece is that a bigger portion of the actual field is preserved, but most of it is now developed or is GOING TO BE developed in the near future. Rutherford County has little care about its past. At least that's the message current leadership has shown. Pander to the developers and forget anything else including way of life.

I know Lexy...it's pretty sad. I don't believe these people realize the tourist dollars they are missing out on either (not that that is my first concern.) Something as historic and significant as the Civil War took place right under our feet, and we barely make it a part our community fabric. The battles in Murfreesboro, Franklin and Nashville were HUGE in the outcome of the war...yet all we really have to stand testament to these battles is a small portion of battlefield at Stones River. I know they're trying to start a battlefield park in Franklin, but it too is a very, very small portion of the actual battle.

Go to Shiloh, Antietam, and Gettysburg...the preservation there is much better.

I know Lexy...it's pretty sad. I don't believe these people realize the tourist dollars they are missing out on either (not that that is my first concern.) Something as historic and significant as the Civil War took place right under our feet, and we barely make it a part our community fabric. The battles in Murfreesboro, Franklin and Nashville were HUGE in the outcome of the war...yet all we really have to stand testament to these battles is a small portion of battlefield at Stones River. I know they're trying to start a battlefield park in Franklin, but it too is a very, very small portion of the actual battle.

Go to Shiloh, Antietam, and Gettysburg...the preservation there is much better.

There is a new postcard book I saw on the news today all about Murfreesboro's lost treasures by Bill Jakes. I found it interesting at what a city Murfreesboro was before the tornado, fire, and demolitions took place. Murfreesboro was even the capital from 1819-1826. I never knew about the Princess Theatre downtown or that we had a high end hotel either named after President James K. Polk. There were even a few fancy mcmansions demolished, what losses! Aside from natural disasters, the Jenkin's house has also been recently demolished.

• 2 weeks later...

:yahoo:

Hi,

Did I understand you correctly, JC Penney is NOT relocating its Stones River Mall location but rather is closing down all together? If so I sure hope something good goes into the new JC Penney location such as a Macy's.

Anyways I agree with whomever said that CSG needs to ditch Penney's. The mall has become more and more upscale in recent times, and Bloomingdale's, NM, or Nordstrom would make a nice anchor for CSG. As for Green Hills, I think that mall has a long way to go to become up to Bloomingdale's or NM standards, look at Lennox Square in Atlanta. While Posh, MAGH is still not quite posh enough.

Welcome to the forum, Josh. It's great to have you here, and it seems you're pretty happy to be here too. :D

And about the poshness of Green Hills, it's making some great strides on getting even more upscale, with the addition of Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton coming soon. I think it could easily take a Bloomingdale's or Neiman Marcus.

Yes. It is on its way to being an upscale mall, but I just can not imagine Bloomies there quite yet. However I can see it in the future. In 2003 when Bloomies opened in Atlanta they opened 2 stores, perhaps CSG and MAGH would be contenders for both stores :).

Yes. This is a neat concept. Anyways, thanks for welcoming me! Look forward to talking with everybody!

Archived