Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peaceloveunderstanding

Minimum Wage Increase in NC

15 posts in this topic

So it looks like it North Carolina will be joining the other states that have increased the minimum wage. While it has not been finalized yet, it seems to be a pretty sure thing. What are your thoughts on this? Is this a good/poor move? Or does it not matter?

I personally think it really doesn't matter for the cities because no one really gets paid the minimum wage, but it may throw pay systems out of whack. In the rural areas, businesses may start having problems paying their employees.

So it looks like it North Carolina will be joining the other states that have increased the minimum wage. While it has not been finalized yet, it seems to be a pretty sure thing. What are your thoughts on this? Is this a good/poor move? Or does it not matter?

I personally think it really doesn't matter for the cities because no one really gets paid the minimum wage, but it may throw pay systems out of whack. In the rural areas, businesses may start having problems paying their employees.

I think we had a thread on this earlier in the year. The general conservative objection to the minimum wage, that small businesses will have to "lay some people off to pay the higher wages" is nothing but right wing think tank dribble.

When you stack up the unemployment rates of the states with higher minimum wages than the federal minimum against those with the fedearl minimum, MORE people are employed in those states that have a higher minimum wage. Unemployment remains higher in states with lower minimum wages. You can find this data at the Bureau for Labor Statistics.

Overall, this is a very good thing. Remember, while businesses will pay higher wages, the extra money earned by those lower-paid workers will recirculate in the economy as well. Also, where some lower-paid workers often postpone less expensive preventative health care for various maladies, they often later come to state assistance programs with much more complicated health problems that are more expensive to cure.

Having a few extra bucks in the pocket might help lower-income families pay for some of the preventative health care they need that would keep them from needing more expensive medical treatment later.

The problem with raising the minimum wage is very few people actually make minimum wage in the first place aside from teenagers working part-time jobs to save up money for video games or to take a girl out on a hot date.

The problem with raising the minimum wage is very few people actually make minimum wage in the first place aside from teenagers working part-time jobs to save up money for video games or to take a girl out on a hot date.

I think it's a little more widespread than this. Either way, this state's a little far behind on its minimum wage. The 11th (possibly 10th by now) largest state in the nation and we're okay with the same minimum wages as South Dakota and Wyoming? It's ridiculous. Why the "screw you" politics of the republicans deem it necessary for there to be an increasingly larger gap between classes in this country confounds me.

Why the "screw you" politics of the republicans deem it necessary for there to be an increasingly larger gap between classes in this country confounds me.

I think you just answered your own question there JDC

Well, the reason I think unemployment tends to go down in societies with higher minimum wage is because of the opposite effect of the "Trickle Down Effect." Lower demographic teens and those on food stamps and such are the ones this will actually take effect on. They, therefore, spend more money on both low end and luxury items. Whether this creates a larger economy of buyers is irrelevant. It is the mass of cash entering the market that alters the availability for funds to support larger staffs. I'd guess that maybe 5% of people in our metro work on minimum wage. That's an extra $160 per person per month (bad estimate I'm sure) floating around. This comes out of the retailers' and fast food restaurants' pockets. But most retailers are not based in NC (other than Lowes,) so our state never sees a negative effect of an actual wage increase.

I think it's a little more widespread than this. Either way, this state's a little far behind on its minimum wage. The 11th (possibly 10th by now) largest state in the nation and we're okay with the same minimum wages as South Dakota and Wyoming? It's ridiculous. Why the "screw you" politics of the republicans deem it necessary for there to be an increasingly larger gap between classes in this country confounds me.

I don't think it matters what the minimum wage is so long as the majority of North Carolinians aren't making it.

I don't think it matters what the minimum wage is so long as the majority of North Carolinians aren't making it.

I think more people make minimal wage than you may think. They may not run in the circles of the people on this board, but there are more people who make minimal wage than people see.

I think we had a thread on this earlier in the year. The general conservative objection to the minimum wage, that small businesses will have to "lay some people off to pay the higher wages" is nothing but right wing think tank dribble.

When you stack up the unemployment rates of the states with higher minimum wages than the federal minimum against those with the fedearl minimum, MORE people are employed in those states that have a higher minimum wage. Unemployment remains higher in states with lower minimum wages. You can find this data at the Bureau for Labor Statistics.

Overall, this is a very good thing. Remember, while businesses will pay higher wages, the extra money earned by those lower-paid workers will recirculate in the economy as well. Also, where some lower-paid workers often postpone less expensive preventative health care for various maladies, they often later come to state assistance programs with much more complicated health problems that are more expensive to cure.

Having a few extra bucks in the pocket might help lower-income families pay for some of the preventative health care they need that would keep them from needing more expensive medical treatment later.

I guess what I find interesting is some of the same groups that speak so highly against the illegal aliens issue and Bush's plan on immigration under the concept of "it lowers Americans wages". Yet they speak so strongly against the minimal wage issue on how so many jobs are going to be lost if raised. Not sure you can have it both ways unless you are a bunch of "blowhards in a conservative think tank"

How about a special low wage, lower than the federal minimum wage, for otherwise illegal aliens. That way, they can live and work in the US and we can stop outsourcing jobs because we'll already have the cheap labor here. For instance, instead of car company X sending its manufacturing jobs to Taiwan, they could send them to west Texas where there are plenty of illegals looking for work. Instead of taking a zero-tolerance stand against immigrants, we could make use of them and keep the lowest paying jobs on American soil.

I think I just solved a major national problem.

JDC FOR PRESIDENT!

should west texas be a mockery of the nation and the world?

I think the increase is a wonderful thing. I don't care if it does not help a large amount of people. It will help some that are struggling mightily. Its just too bad that it could not be higher.

I think more people make minimal wage than you may think. They may not run in the circles of the people on this board, but there are more people who make minimal wage than people see.

Yep, and they probably also are working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet and dont have a lot of "spare" time either.

I realized this while watching the news tonight: my first job, working at OFFICE MAX, I was making three dollars over minimum wage starting. I was a junior in high school at the time and didn't have ANY experience. I mean, if you are having to work a minimum wage job --and I know somebody has to-- then why don't you look for a job where you make three dollars more pointing out to people where paper clips are located on isle 7 and what ink works with what printer (using a picture guide.) It's hardly the thinking man's job.

If you are illegal and working minimum wage, you aren't paying taxes. So, you are actually getting 1/4 more the salary of the honest citizen.

I realized this while watching the news tonight: my first job, working at OFFICE MAX, I was making three dollars over minimum wage starting. I was a junior in high school at the time and didn't have ANY experience. I mean, if you are having to work a minimum wage job --and I know somebody has to-- then why don't you look for a job where you make three dollars more pointing out to people where paper clips are located on isle 7 and what ink works with what printer (using a picture guide.) It's hardly the thinking man's job.

I think there are a lot of factors that might influence why someone might stay in a certain job only making minimum wage. One of those factors (and probably a very big one) is transportation. Not everyone has a car, or a way to travel to a job that might pay more. (and not everyone is close enough to a bus stop to catch a bus) Unless you've ever experienced dire poverty (and I know I havent myself), then it is hard to even imagine how hard it is for someone in the situation to honestly find there way to a better job with better pay. Child Care, Work Clothing, Transportation...are all things that we might take for granted and that come easy for us if we need them....but for someone only making minimum wage-it is another story. How far would you walk to work?