Can Memphis support MLB?

memphis born

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting facts on why Memphis could support a Major League Baseball Team.

http://mb3.scout.com/fbaseballfrm3.showNex...picID=182.topic :thumbsup:

I don't think Memphis can for some of the same reasons the posters in that forum stated.

1)This is Cardinal Country

2)Memphis' population isn't big enough

3)No money to build a major leauge baseball park so a team would have to settle for AZP

4)MLB has enough teams and might not be able to handle more.

Maybe a team can relocate here but no new franchise will pop up here. Milwaukee already has a baseball and basketball team and according to that one poster said they have a 1.5 million population so its possible.

I don't think Memphis can for some of the same reasons the posters in that forum stated.

1)This is Cardinal Country

2)Memphis' population isn't big enough

3)No money to build a major leauge baseball park so a team would have to settle for AZP

4)MLB has enough teams and might not be able to handle more.

Maybe a team can relocate here but no new franchise will pop up here. Milwaukee already has a baseball and basketball team and according to that one poster said they have a 1.5 million population so its possible.

It would be nice for Memphis to get a MLB team but one has to be realistic. MLB has the largest average market at 5.29 million, According to a 2000 census. I think Memphis can support a MLB team if it was only that team but not two of the largest markets in sports that have a "ton" of home games. Give the Grizzlies a chance to grow unto the city and maybe the city can land an NFL team sometime in the future.

I think MLB is the most expensive league to support. IMO, I'd much rather have our AAA team than a MLB team. MLB was already approached about the possibility of a not for profit franchise by someone from Memphis (I think it was a casual inquiry back when Florida and MOntreal were drawing less than our AAA team). They said no. I think we have great baseball fans, and I'd much rather they spend big bucks here than trek up to St. Louis to watch the birds play. But, I don't think MLB is worth it. I'd be happy to pursue the NFL and stop there, maybe pursue MLS. AAA is the best experience that baseball really has to offer. Best environment, the players try harder, and the ticket prices are great. Maybe not the best talent, but I have no interest watching a major league game. Since the NHL restructuring, MLB seems to be the league with the biggest problems. They're the only league that is protected from competition by Congress, and that's a huge turnoff for me. That's just me.

In sum, I think it'd be a stretch for Memphis to support both MLB and the NBA. If we were to get it, I'd pay money to support it. I just wish we would shoot for the NFL first.

And about expansion, they really need to focus on contraction instead.

To be honest, I think Memphis would have to grow quite a bit to get a football team. I just don't see anyone thinking that TN can support 2 teams (since Nashville already landed the Titans). Although Memphis having a football team would create a fun rivalry...

To be honest, I think Memphis would have to grow quite a bit to get a football team. I just don't see anyone thinking that TN can support 2 teams (since Nashville already landed the Titans). Although Memphis having a football team would create a fun rivalry...

Cleveland and Cincinnati are both in Ohio and have NFL teams. I don't see why Memphis couldn't support one.

It would be nice to have an MLB team, but there are way too many home games, even though the season would be during the summer months when basketball is on hiatus.

The NFL (in about 15 - 25 yrs.) would be nice. I'd rather have the NBA instead.

I've heard quite a bit of grumblingd about the cost of FedEx forum, and MLB expects cities to build multi-million dollar facilities at tax payer cost (See Washington DC).

One of the big things here in Nashville was wanting a AAA stadium that could be expanded for MLB, but the market here just can't justify that sport any time soon. Between the Titan's, Pred's, and Kats, we're just about done.

I don't think the issue is whether TN can support two, but whether Ark-WTn-Ms can support one. It'd be great to see the rivalry.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are both in Ohio and have NFL teams. I don't see why Memphis couldn't support one.

It would be nice to have an MLB team, but there are way too many home games, even though the season would be during the summer months when basketball is on hiatus.

Good point, Jacksonville and Tampabay are both in florida and they seem to be doing well. I see Memphis getting a Nfl team in 8-10 years. With a strong in state rivary with the Titans. Remember we still have CEO"s here that have a strong passion for obtaining a Nfl team. William B Dunvant, Fred Smith, maybe even Henry Turley or Gary Belz. This city is not short on corporate sponsorship and fan base.

The NFL is considering 2 teams for LA. TWO TEAMS!!! It's going to be hard to beat that. I was reading something the other day about how the Liberty Bowl would have been perfect for the NFL about 40 years ago, but now is obsolete. I think Nashville was fortunate to get the NFL, and if another city outside of LA get's a team soon, it will probably be Birmingham.

If I was Memphis, I'd be hoping for another Katrina. I know everyone is going to say that's a terrible thing to say, but really, if the Saints lose the super dome again, they'll have to seek out a new permanent home, and where better than Memphis?

The NFL is considering 2 teams for LA. TWO TEAMS!!! It's going to be hard to beat that. I was reading something the other day about how the Liberty Bowl would have been perfect for the NFL about 40 years ago, but now is obsolete. I think Nashville was fortunate to get the NFL, and if another city outside of LA get's a team soon, it will probably be Birmingham.

If I was Memphis, I'd be hoping for another Katrina. I know everyone is going to say that's a terrible thing to say, but really, if the Saints lose the super dome again, they'll have to seek out a new permanent home, and where better than Memphis?

The thing about the LB is that Rozelle (former NFL commish) told Memphis not only was it sufficient, but guaranteed Memphis the next expansion franchise if they sold out exhibition games in the 80s. Memphis complied. The NFL reneged. You're right about the 90s expansion race, although Jacksonville won with a renovated stadium. If Memphis received the kind of legislative support that Nashville later received, this arguably would be a moot point. Memphis had arguably the best ownership group out there. The main concern was the stadium.

I don't think anyone's thinking about a team in the next five years or so, or even ten. But I'll take any team, relocated or otherwise.

Edit: another thing, there's a huge issue among owners about the perfect balance of the teams right now. 32 teams, 8 divisions of 4. Perfectly even. Add two teams, it's off-kilter. If they add one or two, they have to add at least 4 to keep things even. I don't think they're that desperate for a new team in LA to mess the system up. And I think it's a big psychological barrier at least for the owners, and for Tags. Who knows what happens when he leaves. I think they're going to wait and see what happens with NO. I think Minnesota and I know Indy have secured their futures at least for the short term. May Jacksonville might be a problem, they cordoned off thousands of seats and had issues with the Super Bowl, if I heard correctly. But I may be wrong, or they may have corrected the problem. Memphis needs to take care of what it can take care of, and it'll be alright.

The population of Ohio is double that of TN. Florida's is triple that of TN. Although combining MS and ARK into Memphis' numbers helps, I just don't think the market is there. I honestly think that a new sport for TN (like MLB) would therefore be more likely.

I don't think the issue is whether TN can support two, but whether Ark-WTn-Ms can support one. It'd be great to see the rivalry.

With only 8 home games and if, ( if) they can price tickets affordable I honestly believe Ark-WTn-Ms along with metropolitan Memphis, can support a Nfl Team no problem. The Big question is Will the Tax Payers concede to building a Dome Stadium. That's the thing that will take time. The city will no doubt have to Build one to house a relocated team. Liberty bowl would only be good for a temporary home. Oh yea if this city has goals to host final four tournaments again the need for a state of the art dome will arise. I say pursue the New orleans saints House them for 2 years at Liberty bowl then unvail a Dome that will rival St. Louis Edward Jones dome. approximate time frame 5 years. 2 years to land the saints 1 year for the political climate and 2 years to build :yahoo: .

We've got our hands full keeping the Grizzlies afloat right now. I can't imagine any league allowing a team to be put here knowing that one NBA team, with the entire market to itself, cannot turn a profit.

We're a long way off from getting anything else. First, we need to sell out the Grizzlies games. All of them. UofM basketball games need to be consistent sellouts too. It wouldn't hurt if Tiger football could regularly draw 50,000.

We've got our hands full keeping the Grizzlies afloat right now. I can't imagine any league allowing a team to be put here knowing that one NBA team, with the entire market to itself, cannot turn a profit.

Yeah. The Grizzlies were 26th (of 30 teams) in the NBA for attendance, and dead last for teams with winning records.

Birmingham - Has no pro sports, population comparable to Memphis, and hasn't been burned by pro sports yet so they'd be willing to spend a half billion on a retractable roof stadium.

I could be way off. I know a lot of folks down there who would do anything for the NFL. The NBA is great in Memphis, but it won't fly in Alabama.

How about an NFL team for Portland or Boise? Or maybe Omaha, or Cheyenne? That'd be a draw for all the prarie dogs!!!

Good point, Jacksonville and Tampabay are both in florida and they seem to be doing well. I see Memphis getting a Nfl team in 8-10 years. With a strong in state rivary with the Titans. Remember we still have CEO"s here that have a strong passion for obtaining a Nfl team. William B Dunvant, Fred Smith, maybe even Henry Turley or Gary Belz. This city is not short on corporate sponsorship and fan base.

It isn't short on corporate sponsorship or a fan base, but for an MLB team it'd be kind of tough. An NFL team could work, because of the rivalry it could create (even though the divisions would be off-kilter). Like I said in the previous post, think of the rivalry between Cincy and Cleveland - it can be duplicated in Tennessee. But what would happen if there were to be an NFL game in Memphis and in Nashville PLUS an NBA game here as well? I think that'd be too much of a stretch. Our market isn't that big yet. I'm hoping with time it will continue to grow, no matter what the projected numbers say we're on the decline.

Memphis has always had a healthy habit of rebounding from insurmountable odds (yellow fever, Martin Luther King, NFL rebuke) and a knack for producing innovators. So let's not count Memphis out of anything.

A domed football stadium downtown would be ideal, however. Again, I'm content with basketball and the Grizzlies. :)

Yeah. The Grizzlies were 26th (of 30 teams) in the NBA for attendance, and dead last for teams with winning records.

I think the grizz are doing pretty good...we do have the smallest market, so I wouldn't expect a sell out for every game. Besides, we have a lot more competition for entertainment dollars than a lot of cities have, and we have a lower median income than almost every other city with a team. And a college team that did really well. All of this is stuff that the Grizz took into consideration before they moved here, so I am sure that the numbers are as they predicted. It may have been a winning team, but they were in a predictable rut for a large portion of the season (doing well at the start of the game, and then falling apart in the last quarter). I think attendance will grow with more people moving downtown, and with new players. And if Fratello lets them do exciting plays like fast breaks.

I don't see us getting an MLB team for a long, long time.... most people seem very happy with the redbird and redbirds stadium. I'm not a big baseball fan, but I love going to the redbird games because of the small stadium feel and because its a good place to chill out with friends and a cold beer on a hot summer day. The lines and hassles and price that come with a major league team would probably keep me at home.

No, Memphis cannot support an MLB team, but it's not for any bad or sinister reasons...there just aren't enough of us. Milwaukee is currently the smallest MLB market and their MSA population is around 1.5 million. They have struggled for years to support the Brewers, and even the opening of Miller Park only had a temporary bump. Kansas City is the next smallest market at 1.9 million in their MSA, and the Royals have tepid support as well (on-field performance vs. fan support is a bit of a chicken and egg question).

Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, San Antonio, Orlando, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Las Vegas are all larger markets than Milwaukee, but none of them are serious contenders for a franchise unless a current market totally tanks (see Miami or Tampa Bay). Even if you included both Jacksons, Nashville, Tupelo, Jonesboro, and Little Rock, there still wouldn't be enough bodies making that drive on an 81-nightly basis to help us get 25,000+ plus fans per night and a significant regional TV audience.

Best we can do now is support the Grizzlies and Redbirds, and keep an eye on the long-term NFL situation.

Let's compare Tennessee cities: Nashville ranked 22 out of 30 in NHL attendence (based on percent of capcity), and supported an NFL team. I think that's the big difference. Memphis can support 2 pro teams, but not if one is MLB. If you look back at MLB's glory days (1910's - 1970's), they had no real pro sport competition, so the long schedule was no big deal. Today, with all the competition, MLB cannot be successful with so many games except in the largest of markets. I mean, look at attendence in Atlanta even when they were winning! And look at all the new stadiums: capacity is shrinking. Atlanta went from a 55,000 seat stadium dofn to 46,000? That never happens in footbal (except for UT- and what are you guys thinking???)

I think the NBA, NHL, and MLB need to look at football, hockey, and racing: WEEKEND GAMES! The NHL and NBA should have games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Also throw in the occasional mid-week game. That will add to success in the seats. MLB needs to have 4 game series' running Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday. They may have to cut the schedule to around 100 games, but the fan experience would be greater, and the competition would be better because games would matter more.

And while on the topic, Nascar should really consider splitting into divisions. That way, places in the south like Nashville that BUILT NASACAR can get a NEXTEL RACE! It's just wrong to keep stealing races from the south and sending them to Canada and Mexico. I guess the effects of NAFTA, eh amigo?

Let's compare Tennessee cities: Nashville ranked 22 out of 30 in NHL attendence (based on percent of capcity), and supported an NFL team. I think that's the big difference. Memphis can support 2 pro teams, but not if one is MLB. If you look back at MLB's glory days (1910's - 1970's), they had no real pro sport competition, so the long schedule was no big deal. Today, with all the competition, MLB cannot be successful with so many games except in the largest of markets. I mean, look at attendence in Atlanta even when they were winning! And look at all the new stadiums: capacity is shrinking. Atlanta went from a 55,000 seat stadium dofn to 46,000? That never happens in footbal (except for UT- and what are you guys thinking???)

I think the NBA, NHL, and MLB need to look at football, hockey, and racing: WEEKEND GAMES! The NHL and NBA should have games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Also throw in the occasional mid-week game. That will add to success in the seats. MLB needs to have 4 game series' running Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday. They may have to cut the schedule to around 100 games, but the fan experience would be greater, and the competition would be better because games would matter more.

And while on the topic, Nascar should really consider splitting into divisions. That way, places in the south like Nashville that BUILT NASACAR can get a NEXTEL RACE! It's just wrong to keep stealing races from the south and sending them to Canada and Mexico. I guess the effects of NAFTA, eh amigo?

I agree I don't see Memphis being able to support MLB but there is no doubt we can support 2 pro franchises as long as the other one is NFL. This city has long had a passion for the NFL and I don' see that dissapearing just because Nashville has a team in fact I see that as a reason city leaders will continue to pursue a franchise. We will have to wait 5-8 years though :cry: after all this Fedex forum mess is over and almost forgotten. I wish we could land the Saints Now.

Archived