Can Memphis support MLB?

memphis born

And while on the topic, Nascar should really consider splitting into divisions. That way, places in the south like Nashville that BUILT NASACAR can get a NEXTEL RACE! It's just wrong to keep stealing races from the south and sending them to Canada and Mexico. I guess the effects of NAFTA, eh amigo?

has anyone here heard about how there was a nascar track or racing track across the river in arkansas (marion? west memphis?) that was one of the most popular in the country, but when it came time to pay to have it paved, they couldn't raise enough funds and closed the track...one of those, "If this had only happened..." scenarios, I guess.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has anyone here heard about how there was a nascar track or racing track across the river in arkansas (marion? west memphis?) that was one of the most popular in the country, but when it came time to pay to have it paved, they couldn't raise enough funds and closed the track...one of those, "If this had only happened..." scenarios, I guess.

Was it replaced by the Greyhound track? I don't really follow NASCAR so I had no idea there was a track there. I know theres one in Millington but what ever happened to the proposed superspeedway in Tunica?

Was it replaced by the Greyhound track? I don't really follow NASCAR so I had no idea there was a track there. I know theres one in Millington but what ever happened to the proposed superspeedway in Tunica?

I'm not really into NASCAR either...it was just something my dad was mentioning at breakfast one day...I'd actually like Tunica to get a superspeedway...I'm up for anything that will make it a different experience than Memphis and where it is completely independent...that way it'll be like Seattle-Tacoma...Dallas-Fort Worth...Minneapolis-St. Paul...Memphis-Tunica. I mean, I don't want it to be where they're competing with Memphis (which is slightly the case b/c it is in a different state), but I want it to get a large population so the MSA grows and permits Memphis to get things like the NFL and MLB in the future

Let's compare Tennessee cities: Nashville ranked 22 out of 30 in NHL attendence (based on percent of capcity), and supported an NFL team. I think that's the big difference. Memphis can support 2 pro teams, but not if one is MLB. If you look back at MLB's glory days (1910's - 1970's), they had no real pro sport competition, so the long schedule was no big deal. Today, with all the competition, MLB cannot be successful with so many games except in the largest of markets. I mean, look at attendence in Atlanta even when they were winning! And look at all the new stadiums: capacity is shrinking. Atlanta went from a 55,000 seat stadium dofn to 46,000? That never happens in footbal (except for UT- and what are you guys thinking???)

I think the NBA, NHL, and MLB need to look at football, hockey, and racing: WEEKEND GAMES! The NHL and NBA should have games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Also throw in the occasional mid-week game. That will add to success in the seats. MLB needs to have 4 game series' running Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday. They may have to cut the schedule to around 100 games, but the fan experience would be greater, and the competition would be better because games would matter more.

And while on the topic, Nascar should really consider splitting into divisions. That way, places in the south like Nashville that BUILT NASACAR can get a NEXTEL RACE! It's just wrong to keep stealing races from the south and sending them to Canada and Mexico. I guess the effects of NAFTA, eh amigo?

Interesting. But NHL and NBA are not going to decrease the number of games because the players won't accept lesser salaries, so the end result would be increased prices to maintain present pay through higher per-game wages. Just won't happen.

Open wheel racing needs to forego their egos and reunify. Figure out a balance between oval and street courses. Seriously, I remember the late 80s and 90s when they were the national sport. Just like any bitter divorce, no one wins. It'd be great to have both open wheel and stock healthy. Re the Arkansas racetrack, I heard or read the same thing, maybe in the CA online. Don't recall the location, but wasn't it like a mile oval, similar to the popular small tracks on the circuit now (except the paving)? I think more important than splitting divisions, NASCAR needs to watch out not to make all the races cookie-cutter. Keep the smaller tracks, and maybe increase the road races. I get tired of seeing cars go in circles. Week after week. Just not my thing.

The folks behind the Mojo have ambition and vision that should be applauded. They have high goals that they aren't afraid of, and a plan to put Memphis in position to turn it into reality.

Another thing to consider is that MLB, I think, has very weak fan support among African Americans. I read a couple of articles recently about how the entire sport of baseball has been almost forgotten by blacks, only 8% of MLB players are black and some teams, like the Cardinals, now have zero black players.

The city of Memphis is 63% African American, the county is over 50% and the metro area is somewhere in the 40's. You cannot expect to succeed as a pro sports franchise here without attracting substantial support from the black community.

Oklahoma has next rather it is Oklahoma City or Tulsa. All of the pro leagues are looking at Oklahoma real hard these days.

But I think that's more for arena sports given their extraordinary facilities. When it comes to MLB, neither Oklahoma nor Tennessee are really on anyone's radar. It's Portland, Charlotte, SA, Vegas that are always mentioned.

Oklahoma has next rather it is Oklahoma City or Tulsa. All of the pro leagues are looking at Oklahoma real hard these days.

Actually, there was some list (maybe it was mentioned on here before) that said the cities being looked at for an MLB team, New York was first (a third team...eh...) and was followed by Memphis.

Birmingham - Has no pro sports, population comparable to Memphis, and hasn't been burned by pro sports yet so they'd be willing to spend a half billion on a retractable roof stadium.

I could be way off. I know a lot of folks down there who would do anything for the NFL. The NBA is great in Memphis, but it won't fly in Alabama.

How about an NFL team for Portland or Boise? Or maybe Omaha, or Cheyenne? That'd be a draw for all the prarie dogs!!!

Actually, the NBA does have a pretty sizeable fan base in Alabama as well as the NFL. Birmingham is the #40 largest demographic market in the country, it could support a NBA, NFL, MLS, and/or a NHL team.

The NHL has weekend games and mid-week games already. Take a look at the Predators schedule and you will see that Fridays are loaded this year at home.

Matter of fact, they are playing a pre-season game down in Memphis this year. I will be there!

The NHL has weekend games and mid-week games already. Take a look at the Predators schedule and you will see that Fridays are loaded this year at home.

Matter of fact, they are playing a pre-season game down in Memphis this year. I will be there!

Dont forget to bring your camera :thumbsup:

I read about the preds game over on the Grizzlies board. The Preds have no coverage in Memphis as far as I know (The Grizz have mediocre coverage in Nashville but not as little as the Preds in Memphis). Will an NHL team work for Memphis? Probably not. But who knows. This might ignite a hockey intrest in the area or atleast cause people to realize there is a Tennessee hockey team that didn't move to the DCC :rofl:

Dont forget to bring your camera :thumbsup:

I read about the preds game over on the Grizzlies board. The Preds have no coverage in Memphis as far as I know (The Grizz have mediocre coverage in Nashville but not as little as the Preds in Memphis). Will an NHL team work for Memphis? Probably not. But who knows. This might ignite a hockey intrest in the area or atleast cause people to realize there is a Tennessee hockey team that didn't move to the DCC :rofl:

With 12K capacity at the Forum, there's no way for NHL to work, but maybe AHL or something. It'd be nice if the game was Nashville vs. St. Louis.

Actually, I'd say the grizzlies get pretty good publicity in Nashville. The #1 sports station in town, 104.5, is part of the Grizzlies radio network, and they are always giving away tickets.

Really? How things have changed. I use to live in Nashville the first season the grizzlies went to the playoffs. They stopped broadcasting the Grizz games on PAX and FSN wouldn't play Grizz games. Only Preds. I couldn't find a Grizz radio station either. The only mention of the Grizzlies I heard while in Nashville was the little sports ticker on Channel 4 and a few highlights from when they lost the playoff games.

With 12K capacity at the Forum, there's no way for NHL to work, but maybe AHL or something. It'd be nice if the game was Nashville vs. St. Louis.

LOL! Yeah it would be cool for those two teams, but the Columbus Bluejackets (Ohio) is the opponent that night. They both play eachother the night before here in Nashville ironically.

This is just a way to gain more intrest in the team and the sport, not to scout out a new locale. The Preds have played in Kansas City and Huntsville before. One pre-season game is usually held in a non-NHL city everyother year or so.

I know that there was a Dirt Track in West Memphis years ago with Local Favorites like Hooker Hood. It was hot, dusty, and in no way interesting. There were all kinds of Dirt Tracks around all over the country. Many for local racers and demolition derby events.

Archived