Worst Airport you've been to?

bigboyz05

i hate flying in or out of philly international... i have yet to have a flight to or from there that is not delayed and i fly there often. i've heard that they are working on a new runway or something there. currently i guess they have only 1 arriving and 1 departing runway, so if something goes wrong, things get delayed... and something always seems to go wrong. that and you have to wait for a ton of planes ahead of you once things clear up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand Norman Mineta (San Jose) International. All of the current construction makes access less than appealing. The layout is terrible, and many parts of the airport are severely outdated. International arrivals terminal is fine inside, but horrible in that it dumps you outside with little protection from the weather. The airport is far too small for the amount of activity thattakes place. I hope things improve.

Dulles.....by far!

Horrible traffic to get there.....horrible security lines....horrible signage.....horrible little moon-rovers to take you to B(?) terminal.......

I have to agree. The night we were stuck at the airport, the only place that was opened was McDonalds to eat, and they ran out of meat. haha..

I forgot about Oakland International in Oakland, CA. I've never flown in or out of there, but picked up a friend there once and it was one of the trashiest places I can remember, with pretty terrible traffic layout. Oakland wants to be known as a viable alternative to SFO and San Jose International, but it can't do so without a major revamping of itself.

• 2 weeks later...

From an arhcitectural standpoint, I love Dulles. It's not the easiest airport to use (or to get to), but I still like the main building. Reagan National is very convenient. How can you not like Cesar Pelli's new building?

DCA is not bad to use. The Terminal (B and C Concourses) is beautiful. Out of all the airports I have been to, DCA is one of my architectually favorite airports. (So is Dulles).

D/FW, Houston (Hobby), and San Juan, PR have always been my least favorite in the US. For several years my work involved 80K-100K air miles each year, most of that in North America and the Caribbean, so I have both good, bad & funny experiences for many well known and several not so well known airports.

All of the NYC airports are A PAIN getting there and sometimes are a PAIN once you get there (3 hours later). I dread the damn Staten Island Expressway, Belt Parkway and Van Wyck Expwy if i travel them during the day getting to JFK or LGA. However, nothing beats the Long Island Expressway, 24 hours a day it is hell driving that road, especially Queens!

Glad to hear Seattle/Tacoma International Airport isnt on there. Theyve just embarked on the larget airport redevelopment theyve ever had. Its a great airport! Ive always been pleased! Also, Ive flown to Portland International and it is by far my most favorite! Plus, while your waiting for your transfer flight, you can go shopping in the mall in the airport, plus, there's no sales tax, Oregon law! :-) LAX is the one I hate most.... but that is probably because I hate California period.... LOL.

Also, Ted Stevens Anchorage International is really nice. Its got an Alaskan theme minus the cold.... :). I know many people havent heard of a small town by the name of Ketchikan, Alaska (Ive got family there), but it deserves the title of Americas most hilarious airport. Its called Ketchikan International Airport. It only commercial airport service to Seattle and Vancouver, so it can claim "International." Basically its one room! You can see from one end to the other. And its on an island so youve got to take a ferry into town! Its hilarious! I love it though! :rofl:

All of the NYC airports are A PAIN getting there and sometimes are a PAIN once you get there (3 hours later). I dread the damn Staten Island Expressway, Belt Parkway and Van Wyck Expwy if i travel them during the day getting to JFK or LGA. However, nothing beats the Long Island Expressway, 24 hours a day it is hell driving that road, especially Queens!

I agree wholeheartedly. There's NO reason for anyone going to/from NJ to choose JFK or LGA. In traffic it could take you 2 hrs to get to JFK and longer to LGA. And transit is no better, as there is no direct transit link between Manhattan and those two airports (unless you count the M60 from LGA)! Hell, Philly would be easier to get to from Northern New Jersey! I find EWR pretty easy to get in & out of. Unfortunately I have to go fly out of JFK to get to Dubai next month. I have no idea how I'm going to get there yet!

I have no problem with DFW. But I do with MIA. Flying into Fort Lauderdale is much much better than flying into Miami.

I lived in south FL for 12 years; when I first got there, MIA was such a dump and getting there could be a real challenge. Some of the recent renovations didn't do a whole lot to improve things. It's still chaotic, but that's part of the "charm" of living in Dade County.

Now FLL has always been one of the really nice airports to use. Despite tremendous growth in terms of air traffic the renovations and increased number of gates make it still one of the nicer airports in a large urban area that I have used.

• 3 weeks later...

Another airport I hate is Meigs Field. Why? Because Mayor Daley Jr. (yes, the son of "vote early, vote often" Mayor Daley...ew) (possibly) illegally destroyed one of Chicago's real jewels when he bulldozed it, and it was like something out of a bad movie the way it went down. He claims it's for security, but with O'Hare, Midway, and a whole passel of general aviation facilities around, this argument really holds little to no water. GRRR!!

I Hell, Philly would be easier to get to from Northern New Jersey! I find EWR pretty easy to get in & out of. Unfortunately I have to go fly out of JFK to get to Dubai next month. I have no idea how I'm going to get there yet!

Nice, I have family in Doha.

You going on business or leisure?

The worst I've been in, and this isn't even a bad airport, is Cincinnati, and I know I probably spelled that incorrectly. It's a really nice airport, but, I've only been to nice airports, and I just don't like it as much as the others.

I've flown into or out of:

Atlanta

Huntsville

Dothan

Cincinnati

Regean

Baltimore-Washington

San Diego

Memphis

Birmingham

The only reason I don't like Cincinnati's is because it's most at ground level, the parts I've been in. The staff wasn't to kind to me either. But, othe than that, it's really nice, it doesn't lower your spirits when you walk into it. I just don't like having to walk onto the tarmak to get to my flight. But, it is a nice airport.

Archived