Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KJW

West Fork & Southern (for Mith & the Washingtonians)

12 posts in this topic

Mith,

In a different thread you talk about the topography of Washington County and its inhibitions to growth.

Question:

Driving through West Fork a month back I saw a new subdivision of small houses springing up.

I remember in 2002 when my car broke down on the interstate near Winslow the tow truck driver said that they'd started running water lines out in the latter community and people were starting to build more and more in that area.

Now, the problems of the Winslow schools have been documented. However, West Fork is a VERY pretty community. Why has it seemed like in Washington County the growth has been southeast (Elkins) and southwest (Farmington/Prairie Grove/Lincoln) but not south toward West Fork, Brentwood and Winslow?

Betcha we'll see more growth south when that area between Rogers/Pinnacle and Springdale/Elm Springs Road fills in, which it will with major traffic issues as a result.

Mith,

In a different thread you talk about the topography of Washington County and its inhibitions to growth.

Question:

Driving through West Fork a month back I saw a new subdivision of small houses springing up.

I remember in 2002 when my car broke down on the interstate near Winslow the tow truck driver said that they'd started running water lines out in the latter community and people were starting to build more and more in that area.

Now, the problems of the Winslow schools have been documented. However, West Fork is a VERY pretty community. Why has it seemed like in Washington County the growth has been southeast (Elkins) and southwest (Farmington/Prairie Grove/Lincoln) but not south toward West Fork, Brentwood and Winslow?

Betcha we'll see more growth south when that area between Rogers/Pinnacle and Springdale/Elm Springs Road fills in, which it will with major traffic issues as a result.

True, there will be development in southern Washington County. But it's not going to be anything like Benton County. A lot of it just has to do with the land. Developers like nice flat land because it's easier and cheaper to develop. A lot of Benton County is somewhat flat. But south of Fayetteville you get into the Boston Mtns, the most rugged part of the Ozarks. Development isn't impossible, but just not as likely. At some point in the future that area might see a lot more. But that area is also a bit futher away from the main metro. I'm sure some people will like that, but the people that are going to live there probably aren't going there because they think that area will ever become very developed either.

Thanks, Mith.

No problem. Even before the big drive from Wal-mart into having vendors set up shop here. I had wondered why Benton County was outgrowing Washington County. After a while I realized there's just much more easily developed land compared to Washington County. But it does seem odd that the two largest cities in the metro aren't in Benton County. Of course having the lake up there probably makes Benton County very attractive to many as well.

No problem. Even before the big drive from Wal-mart into having vendors set up shop here. I had wondered why Benton County was outgrowing Washington County. After a while I realized there's just much more easily developed land compared to Washington County. But it does seem odd that the two largest cities in the metro aren't in Benton County. Of course having the lake up there probably makes Benton County very attractive to many as well.

Probably so...I think West Fork is in a very picturesque valley as well (and they've got an interesting park by the river).

True, there will be development in southern Washington County. But it's not going to be anything like Benton County. A lot of it just has to do with the land. Developers like nice flat land because it's easier and cheaper to develop. A lot of Benton County is somewhat flat. But south of Fayetteville you get into the Boston Mtns, the most rugged part of the Ozarks. Development isn't impossible, but just not as likely. At some point in the future that area might see a lot more. But that area is also a bit futher away from the main metro. I'm sure some people will like that, but the people that are going to live there probably aren't going there because they think that area will ever become very developed either.

While that's true, people will pay premiums for homes built with scenic, hilly views. This has been the saga of West LR development and why the city seems to only grow West/Northwest. Chenal Valley is every bit as hilly and difficult to build on as the Greenland/West Fork area but there are developments there. Sure you have to charge a bit more for the homes but higher end homes sell better, anyway.

Things have been moving further and further out that way for years while developments in Southwest LR have been slow.

Cabot's best development, Greystone, was built pretty far from town because of the hilly scenery, despite the cost and utility issues.

I think the real reason you're not seeing development to the South is that most developers are trying to build in areas where commutes to Rogers/Bentonville are reasonable. Building that far South would cater primarily to people that work in Fayetteville and really limit your number of potential buyers.

I am surprised you don't see a few more hilltop mansions in Greenland and West Fork.

True. I do think there will eventually be more developments towards this direction. But I see it as being widely spaced houses and such and not being dense enough to trigger much other development. But who knows.

While that's true, people will pay premiums for homes built with scenic, hilly views. This has been the saga of West LR development and why the city seems to only grow West/Northwest. Chenal Valley is every bit as hilly and difficult to build on as the Greenland/West Fork area but there are developments there. Sure you have to charge a bit more for the homes but higher end homes sell better, anyway.

Things have been moving further and further out that way for years while developments in Southwest LR have been slow.

Cabot's best development, Greystone, was built pretty far from town because of the hilly scenery, despite the cost and utility issues.

I think the real reason you're not seeing development to the South is that most developers are trying to build in areas where commutes to Rogers/Bentonville are reasonable. Building that far South would cater primarily to people that work in Fayetteville and really limit your number of potential buyers.

I am surprised you don't see a few more hilltop mansions in Greenland and West Fork.

My understanding is the school systems are pretty bad down there and that's the reason you won't see "hilltop mansions," or at least many of them, in this area. I have friends who live down there and they have advised me NOT to invest in the area because of the schools.